2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Is Music Your Hobby Or Your Career?
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 21 2013, 05:07 PM
Instructor
It's clear that we all love music and guitars but there is a big difference between a hobby and a career. I was wondering who would like (or already made) to make a career of musician and who just want music as a hobby.

There is a nice article at this link where the difference is discussed.

Please share your experiences and reasons! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 21 2013, 05:43 PM
GMC:er
I'm guessing wads of folks here would like a career music smile.gif Sounds glamarous and fun right? As you probably know the day to day can be just as full of work as any other job, but the rewards of making a living from music do speak for themselves.

The good news is that this distinction means something different these days with the rise of the web and leveling of the playing field. Artists can get pretty widespread fame and still not "make a living" from Music. AMON AMARTH for example slugged it out for 10 years and kept their crap day jobs before the music made them a living. Same with EPICA who only recently went "pro" after 10 years when they signed with Century Media.

So it's possible to have a brilliant career in music without it actually being a career. Being able to balance something else that has stable pay and maybe even health benefits, with the freedom to create any sort of music you like is a wonderful thing. Being free from market forces allows an artist to follow their own vision no matter what the "trend" is in music. Anyone can grab some software and a guitar and laptop and make music that is entirely their own and share it with the world. smile.gif

In short it's a great time to be a musician on any level IMHO. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 21 2013, 12:07 PM) *
It's clear that we all love music and guitars but there is a big difference between a hobby and a career. I was wondering who would like (or already made) to make a career of musician and who just want music as a hobby.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jul 21 2013, 08:26 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
It's my hobby, and probably will stay that way.
I'd like a career in music, but it would be as a songwriter and a mixing engineer, not a performing artist smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 21 2013, 09:38 PM
Instructor
Good point Todd. Living from music means making something that someone will pay Your for and it's same as any other job. It's not as some kids imagine it looks like. Even being famous is a huge responsibility because if You fail once...this will be remembered and will affect Your future carrer. It's not about sitting at home and doing Your original stuff all the time. So no matter iof You have a regular job or make living of music it still means that most of Your time will be occured by doing a "job" for someone who pays. Sometimes it even menas that You'll will have to play something the way that's not necessary a way You will like it to be. Time amount for play things You would like to play most is still the same small smile.gif

Beauty of the situation is the every invested $ makes You happy...because this is AWESOME when Your necessary working tool is also something You would like to buy as a hobby toy to make Yourself some joy smile.gif It's also much easier to explain Your girl//woman/wife why do You have to buy next guitar biggrin.gif

Another Advantage is...You're much more effeicient when You focus on doing ONLY ONE THING in Your life smile.gif This means more skills, more knowlege, more competence do do Your job .

As for the Career let's take a look at some fact that guitar stars shared with people in some interviews.

S. Lukather had some psychical problems because of a some fans pressure about his playing
Head of Korn had family problems and drugs problems
Curt Cobain didn';t handle the weight of a fame and made a suecide...

So if You ever wish to make a higher prestigeous career...think of those things.

I personally love to be the second plan musician...playing in bands with vocalist who takes a most of audience attention. I'm not recognizable of the streets so I can easy go to the shop and by some cigarettes with no "Oh my god it's him..." problems smile.gif instead of some of my friends who has this constantly and I will never go to the public place with them again tongue.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 22 2013, 08:50 AM
For the folks who make a career out of the arts in general, it is both their hobby and their job ... at least for the first 20 or so years.

As far as being bothered on the street ... well, it depends on where you live. Where I,m at, depending on exactly what neighborhood you go to to get cigarettes, unless you're maybe Angelina Jolie ... nobody cares. If Hugh Grant goes to get cigs on Hollywood Blvd. on a saturday in summer then yeah - he'll get hasseled (lets also keep in mind that many 'stars' love that attention! ... no matter what they say - it's one of the reasons they even get into it and serious about it in the first place - musicians, actors, whomever).

But back to 'normal' working musicians. It's a job - in many ways like most other jobs. You go to work, you try to do good, you want to make money, you want a raise, etc. Your schedule may be different than an auto worker and your compensation may not be in two week increments but if you're a working player you go to work and you get paid. As you get a little older you maybe become (the metaphor) the supervisor or manager or the boss. Also as you get older there's always someone younger and prettier ready and willing to take your place ... for less money.

Having said all that ... I love my job! We have an expression in the states - "the worst day fishing ..." (is better than the best day at work).

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jul 22 2013, 10:02 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 22 2013, 09:03 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 21 2013, 04:07 PM) *

For many years it was like a hobby. When I start to work in my free time for some musical projects (but not for many money) I realized that it's time to change my life. It's strange but I can not concentrate at my normal job because I always have a new song in mind or I feel like I'm loosing time. I can not eat, I can not sleep, because I want to play at guitar.
I was asked to play with two bands but I refused because I do not feel ready yet (I mean at technically skills). Was very hard to change my piano style with guitar style. Unfortunately, transformation is not completely smile.gif I still think like a pianist in my songs. I want to make an instrumental band because to be honest, I'm a little selfish and I don't wanna share the success with an vocal biggrin.gif
So, next year I will be ready for a big change and I would like to make a career of musician.

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jul 22 2013, 09:28 AM
Theory Instructor
I've been doing music as a career in one way or another for about 18 years, and though it is very hard in the beginning to make ends meet and build up from scratch, i think that once I worked through the lean year that it's a very cool and very rewarding career to have. As was said, my hours are not normal, I gig and teach until midnight or later on weekdays some weeks, and might have to get up the next morning and give a lecture or teach a lesson at 9am, so it can be tough. But for every hard day, there are moments in my week that make me realize that this is what I was born to do, I couldn't do anything else if I tried, and I feel lucky to be able to be a musician, work in music and make a living doing it.

Having said that, some of the best players I have ever met, and who had the most passion for music I've ever seen, were businessmen, doctors, lawyers etc. People who played in the evenings and on weekends while they worked outside of music for their day job. I've seen some killer players with lives like that, some of them better than and "pro" musician I've met. So I don't think that one needs to be working in music all day every day to live out their musical dreams and goals, it can be done even if someone makes their income outside of music during the day.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 22 2013, 09:58 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Well music is my career/day job but I'm not a musician although I can play guitar. Once, many, many years ago I even signed to a record label. Many engineers have a background as musicians and/or can play an instrument or two.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jul 22 2013, 12:00 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hobby to me but I spend a good portion of everyday practicing or trying to learn something, I especially like messing with software and learning about it. I was thinking one day if it would even be possible for me to start recording people, drummer friend of mine who plays lots of big shows around town asked if I could record him so he could have a demo for for people and other bands, but I need a different interface with more inputs, got me thinking if I could build a full studio equipped for a band if this would be something I could do for fun putting out rough demos of bands.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 22 2013, 01:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 22 2013, 08:58 AM) *
Well music is my career/day job but I'm not a musician although I can play guitar. Once, many, many years ago I even signed to a record label. Many engineers have a background as musicians and/or can play an instrument or two.

That's great because it's much more comfortable to work with people who understand exactly what You mean while explaining some details. Man I work with is also a guitarist and I really the natural tone of mastered tracks...not over-pomped smile.gif

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jul 22 2013, 01:59 PM
I'm kinda sorta in between the two. I can't solely rely on music to make a living, but I want it to be at the point that I make around half of my living off of music and half of my living off of my degree. So its more than definitely more than a hobby but I guess less than a career.

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 22 2013, 02:29 PM
Learning Roadie
It's a hobby. I have a normal job. But I wish I could make it a living. I only have time on the weekends to play now.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 22 2013, 04:53 PM
Instructor
Hey guys, very interesting and inspiring posts. I think that this could really help to younger guys that are now defining what to do with their lifes.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 23 2013, 12:45 AM
Instructor
Unofrtunately the image of musicians life is sooo distorted by the media and movie makers. Some kids still think That it's enough to make a band and record a CD + sign the contract with any publisher. What a kick in the ass...when years later You'll make a band that is pretty good (at least from the outside people opinions), have a CD and a contract...and then BOOOOMMMM...You see that the contract is a sort of chains and the publisher can do nothing with Your next material etc...and You...can't publish it in a different company...so You wait until the contract burns out...That's why so many people decide to publish their stuff on their own smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 23 2013, 06:39 AM
Learning Roadie
To me it's therapy!

There are many artists out there who have quite a few albums out but still have day jobs, for instance Damien Jurado is a school teacher and tours during school holidays.

Funny story related to me by one of my favourite artists Chris Mills.

So there he is in the back of a Chicago pizza place with another guy taking the flat-packed pizza boxes and putting them together and they get talking. The guy asks him about his life and he tells him he's a singer song writer, has released 4 albums or so and tours round the US and Europe. The guy then says 'Man you're living the dream' (to a guy trying to make rent etc in a pizza place!)

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 23 2013, 08:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 23 2013, 05:39 AM) *
To me it's therapy!

There are many artists out there who have quite a few albums out but still have day jobs, for instance Damien Jurado is a school teacher and tours during school holidays.

Funny story related to me by one of my favourite artists Chris Mills.

So there he is in the back of a Chicago pizza place with another guy taking the flat-packed pizza boxes and putting them together and they get talking. The guy asks him about his life and he tells him he's a singer song writer, has released 4 albums or so and tours round the US and Europe. The guy then says 'Man you're living the dream' (to a guy trying to make rent etc in a pizza place!)

Good one! That's how things are in much more cases

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 23 2013, 08:58 AM
I lived in one bedroom apts or with roomates for years. Well past the time of it being 'societally normal' ;-)
If I played two top 40 gigs a month, taught a handful of lessons and maybe got one session ... all my expenses were covered. It really depends on the lifestyle you want - ? Indie van tours selling merch all summer and a bunch of weekend gigs throughout the year you can potentially make enough to live cheap w/o a day job. You want a family and a bigger place - ? Well, no. You'll need to figure something else out. Doesn't have to be non musical though. I once asked a percussionist how he got so many gigs. He says, 'I have eight kids - I have to work'.

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 23 2013, 12:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 22 2013, 11:45 PM) *
Unofrtunately the image of musicians life is sooo distorted by the media and movie makers. Some kids still think That it's enough to make a band and record a CD + sign the contract with any publisher. What a kick in the ass...when years later You'll make a band that is pretty good (at least from the outside people opinions), have a CD and a contract...and then BOOOOMMMM...You see that the contract is a sort of chains and the publisher can do nothing with Your next material etc...and You...can't publish it in a different company...so You wait until the contract burns out...That's why so many people decide to publish their stuff on their own smile.gif

You're right and I have many friends who believe that if you have a band and release an album is enough. After that, you have all open doors. This kind of thinking is a big mistake.
But for some people is enough to have only a band and to play live for 2 days /month. This is enough for the level at which they want to reach. (more than a hobby and not as a professional business)
Many people (not just some kids) just like the idea of having a band. They don’t really want to make music and live in it.
If you want to live from music and you already have a good band this is a start for the ugly side of things sad.gif
One example that I don’t like at all and that happens in my country, there are some newly appeared festivals that can’t play enough good bands because some unknown bands are agree to play for free. And this is not ok. Because of this a lot of very good musicians prefer to be teachers and gives up his play live.
To publish your stuff alone, it's a good solution of course and a good start wink.gif But I also think it is the longest way to become known.
However, it is a good alternative if you don't want to be a slave to a contract, which before, you thought it was the best thing that ever happened.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 23 2013, 01:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jul 23 2013, 11:22 AM) *
You're right and I have many friends who believe that if you have a band and release an album is enough. After that, you have all open doors. This kind of thinking is a big mistake.
But for some people is enough to have only a band and to play live for 2 days /month. This is enough for the level at which they want to reach. (more than a hobby and not as a professional business)
Many people (not just some kids) just like the idea of having a band. They don’t really want to make music and live in it.
If you want to live from music and you already have a good band this is a start for the ugly side of things sad.gif
One example that I don’t like at all and that happens in my country, there are some newly appeared festivals that can’t play enough good bands because some unknown bands are agree to play for free. And this is not ok. Because of this a lot of very good musicians prefer to be teachers and gives up his play live.
To publish your stuff alone, it's a good solution of course and a good start wink.gif But I also think it is the longest way to become known.
However, it is a good alternative if you don't want to be a slave to a contract, which before, you thought it was the best thing that ever happened.

Monica You've just mentioned some new social desease - people are getting Used to get entertainment for free...They feel offended when they have to pay for a gig... nothing weird when There are many festival where You can here huuuge starts for free

This could be the main reason...

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 23 2013, 02:32 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 23 2013, 12:54 PM) *
Monica You've just mentioned some new social desease - people are getting Used to get entertainment for free...They feel offended when they have to pay for a gig... nothing weird when There are many festival where You can here huuuge starts for free

This could be the main reason...

I do not feel offended if I pay for a gig smile.gif People must pay even a small amount. I think it's a form of respect for those who play for us because behind a song it means a lot hours of work.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:35 PM