Amp, Pickup, Tone Settings For Blues?
sb81
Jul 1 2007, 04:12 AM
GMC:er
Looking to make that awesome Allman brothers blues tone from songs like Jessica.

Any pointers?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 1 2007, 04:48 AM
Hmm pick up switch on full biggrin.gif Not much distortion, very little or nothing at all. In my case I get a little bluesy crunch when having the pickup switch all up and no distortion. About how much treble and bass you should use I'm not sure. I dont use too much of either of them.

Edit: I havent heard the stuff you mentioned there, but this is what I do to make a bluesy sound.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Robin: Jul 1 2007, 04:57 AM

+Quote Post
misterj
Jul 1 2007, 05:06 AM
ahh.. that is a sweet tone. i would recommend a les paul on the neck pickup thru an old marshall plexi type amp, or prob thru an old fender 40 - 50 watt amp cranked. when i want that type of tone, i use my 1971 pro reverb cranked. now if you are trying to achieve this tone with the equippment you already have, thats a different story. i think we'd have to know what gear you have to give that advice smile.gif

+Quote Post
sb81
Jul 1 2007, 05:41 AM
Sorry, I just bought a Dean Evo Special Select - Les Paul like guitar

I have a Line 6 Guitar Port which includes a ton of tones. For an amp I have a Spider II.

That's about it tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 1 2007, 05:52 AM
QUOTE (sb81 @ Jul 1 2007, 04:41 AM) *
Sorry, I just bought a Dean Evo Special Select - Les Paul like guitar

I have a Line 6 Guitar Port which includes a ton of tones. For an amp I have a Spider II.

That's about it tongue.gif

The spider II amp got its own "Blues" tone thing. I guess you've noticed smile.gif I dont remember if it was anything good though, havent played with it for a long time.

+Quote Post
Ben C
Jul 1 2007, 05:56 AM
with any les paul style guitar, just take the volume knob on the guitar and turn it down around 1, so its just barely on. This cuts away a lot of the distortion, and gives an awesome blues crunch sound

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
sb81
Jul 1 2007, 02:53 PM
QUOTE (Ben C @ Jul 1 2007, 05:56 AM) *
with any les paul style guitar, just take the volume knob on the guitar and turn it down around 1, so its just barely on. This cuts away a lot of the distortion, and gives an awesome blues crunch sound

Cool thanks, that works great... any tips on treble, bass, mid, gain settings?

currently have treble and gain cranked, bass down a bit, and mid down a bit more.

QUOTE (Robin @ Jul 1 2007, 05:52 AM) *
The spider II amp got its own "Blues" tone thing. I guess you've noticed smile.gif I dont remember if it was anything good though, havent played with it for a long time.

Yes, it does a general blues tone pretty nice, and the spiced up one adds a bit of crunch and some delay.

Will have to try my guitar port for a larger variety of blues tones.

+Quote Post
sanders4617
Jul 3 2007, 07:16 AM
Generally.. for a good blues tone. It really depends on what your after.

There is the Gary Moore bluesy sound.. which is a Les Paul.. and probably a Marshall. With some delay and what not. I have never used a Les Paul or Marshall, so I wouldn't know any settings.

For the more traditional blues... SRV... Clapton.. BB King.. Albert King...

They use mostly Fenders.. with an overdrive pedal. Simple as that. Ibanez TS9 or TS808 are great for the blues. Depending on what tone your wanting, that is how you pick your pickup. Albert King was more bright sounding.. so you wouldn't probably use your neck pickup.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:16 PM