New Practice Amp Suggestions
Tom_Cop
Jul 13 2008, 09:52 AM
GMC:er
Hey All,

I been looking recently at getting a new practice amp, prefrably a marshall, was hoping i could get some suggestions down for some small but powerful amps!

Been looking at the zakk wylde micro stack which i like the look of, but i dont know if 15w is powerfull enough. I like to play with a heavy overdrive sound, lots of gain and bass. I want an amp which can handle it.

At the moment im running on a 50w marshall, with a darkstar HT tube overdrive pedal and mxr 6 band eq. It seems when i put the bass up the amp starts to break up even up low volumes. I dont really know why! So if anyone can answer that as well that would be good!

Heres a photo of my gear.

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ginson SG Standard w/EMG 81-85
Ibanez EX S520 w/Seymour Duncan SH-1n-SH-8b
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mjsteps
Jul 14 2008, 02:34 AM
QUOTE (Tom_Cop @ Jul 13 2008, 09:52 AM) *
Hey All,

Well I think you need to decied if you really want a practice amp. If you are looking to practice with out brining down the house and neighborhood then I would suggest that 15w is what you are looking for.
I myself just purchased a line 6 spider III 15 w amp. It is what it is a practice amp. I was surprised that the built in fx effects are decent and you can access there web site to get "the sound as far as settings". I normally play through a digitech multi-effects proccesser, but with this I do not need to drag out all the gear so to speak.
Besides the effects which by the way the "clean sound is amazing" you have your head phone jack or can be used to record it also has a spot to plug in your mp3 player so that you can jam along or let the music play. For me it came down to money and the thing was less than $100 had it shipped and recieved it in two days. So if its a practice amp then I would reccommmend the line 6.
Take Care
mjsteps

I been looking recently at getting a new practice amp, prefrably a marshall, was hoping i could get some suggestions down for some small but powerful amps!

Been looking at the zakk wylde micro stack which i like the look of, but i dont know if 15w is powerfull enough. I like to play with a heavy overdrive sound, lots of gain and bass. I want an amp which can handle it.

At the moment im running on a 50w marshall, with a darkstar HT tube overdrive pedal and mxr 6 band eq. It seems when i put the bass up the amp starts to break up even up low volumes. I dont really know why! So if anyone can answer that as well that would be good!

Heres a photo of my gear.

Attached Image

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 14 2008, 09:49 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Maybe something like this - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ran...-Amp?sku=480335

Randalls are very good for high gain gigs..Don't know about how much bass it can handle...for that its better to get an extra cabinet or a combo with 2x12...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Disturbed21
Jul 14 2008, 06:37 PM
My Crate 65W has got some good bass and gain for a pretty cheap price ($165 i think) but i think they stopped selling them sad.gif . Try Bogdan's suggestion though, it's a pretty good amp.

This post has been edited by Disturbed21: Jul 14 2008, 06:38 PM

--------------------
Enter The Doom And Gloom If You Dare Below This Message

http://www.last.fm/user/Disturbed21

and add if you want...

+Quote Post
steiner666
Jul 14 2008, 07:53 PM
i'm still saving up for my Krank Jr Pro. If you like playing heavier music and have the $, i can't think of a better practice amp. With the new "Pro" models they have footswitchable kleen/krank channels now, and an active effects loop. Plus they look cool as hell

*edit* almost forgot the most important part: it's 100% tube-driven

This post has been edited by steiner666: Jul 14 2008, 08:08 PM

--------------------
ESP LTD MH-400NT (EMG 81/85 set, D'Addario Skinny Top/Fat Bottom strings)
Line 6 Toneport GX

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 14 2008, 10:16 PM
Instructor
Well what do you disslike with your current amp? Usually more gain and bass are associated with a halfstack, and a hi gain metal amp. TSL series could maybe do the job, but then again, they are tube amps and don't serve that well for home practice amps. Also if you want more bass, you need at least 2x12 cab, and that Zakk Wylde has very limited speakers from what I saw.

So what is wrong with your current amp. Be specific.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 15 2008, 01:00 AM
Instructor
Laney LC 15,
I have one at my home atm, great piece for practicing,
enough gain,easy to carry,small one biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 15 2008, 11:36 AM
For practise I'd say headphones all the way. I have my marshall inputted to my computer. Wife can't complain anymore, and I get maximum volume!

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 14 2008, 11:16 PM) *
Well what do you disslike with your current amp? Usually more gain and bass are associated with a halfstack, and a hi gain metal amp. TSL series could maybe do the job, but then again, they are tube amps and don't serve that well for home practice amps. Also if you want more bass, you need at least 2x12 cab, and that Zakk Wylde has very limited speakers from what I saw.

So what is wrong with your current amp. Be specific.

I'm actually very satisfied with my tubeamp for practise...

+Quote Post
Xose Pineda
Jul 16 2008, 02:49 AM
Roland CUBE... small, and nice for the price.

smile.gif

Cheers!

--------------------

xosepineda

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 16 2008, 09:28 PM
Headphones for the win

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:26 PM