2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Toneport Gx In A Laptop With 512 Ram, Would it work ok?
Fran
Jan 1 2008, 05:31 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I'm thinking of getting Toneport GX, to use it with a laptop that has only 512 MB ram, it's a PIV 3 Ghz.

I read in the specs of the product that it has a min. requirement of 512 MB of ram, and I wonder if it will be choppy working with only that amount of memory (Using the software that it provides, called GearBox).

The problem is that windows XP alone eats half that ram...

Does anyone use toneportGX and gearbox with just 512 MB of ram? Does it work ok?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 1 2008, 05:43 PM
Learning Roadie
I'am getting a tone port waiting for it to arrive in the post will let u know how it goe's.There are some other guys here i know who do already have one maybe they could help.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 1 2008, 05:54 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
It should be alright just to run toneport and gearbox, I say that since I use Guitarport which has the similar software and the "gearbox" when active use about 30kB RAM.

And my laptop is loaded with RAM either, 1GB, so the limit is rahter when you want to use it together with a sequencer program since they seem to suck a PC dry for memory. But there you've got Reaper as a choise which I have noticed isn't that hard on the system resources.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 1 2008, 06:52 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well I think it will be a close call wink.gif
I think that you will be able to use toneports gearbox and jam..but I don't know if it will work with some recording software because it will suck too much ram..Never tried to run toneport with less than 1gb... wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 1 2008, 10:40 PM
I thought GearBox was recording software as well. Isn't it?

If it isn't, I guess I would have to use audacity to record.

Could I record using toneport + audacity (or other recording program), without using Gearbox at the same time?

What is gearbox good for then?

Lots of questions! smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:

Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!

+Quote Post
Nick325
Jan 1 2008, 10:43 PM
GMC:er
well i have a toneport but i dont use it on a laptop unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 2 2008, 02:22 AM
QUOTE (Fran @ Jan 1 2008, 10:40 PM) *
I thought GearBox was recording software as well. Isn't it?

If it isn't, I guess I would have to use audacity to record.

Could I record using toneport + audacity (or other recording program), without using Gearbox at the same time?

What is gearbox good for then?

Lots of questions! smile.gif

You have to use other recording software.Gearbox software lets you choose amp and cabinet simulation , and hear the actual tone when you plug in your guitar..You can't play without it being on..Also it features metronome,loopstation (that loops mp3 backings) and some other useful stuff..You basically set up all the parameters you need there and find the sound that you are looking for..(You setup also mic preamps there etc)... So you have it on and then you open some other recording software like audacity or cubase..Also I think that you get riffworks or something like that bundled with tone port when you buy it so you can try that also...
Gearbox has a lot of hardware setup parameters regarding buffer etc so I think it may be even possible with 512mb to use it normally if you have a fast cpu..But I can't guarantee..

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Jan 2 2008, 02:24 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 2 2008, 03:44 AM
Ok, thanks for the info Bogdan.

I was afraid that I couldn't run GearBox, and after this I realiuze that the computer will actually have to manage audacity + Gearbox at the same time!!

This is going to be fun XD, it will have to be next week though, that's when I'll hopefully get the toneport.

I'll post again when I try, I'll keep my fingers crossed in the meantime tongue.gif

Oh, I forgot, another question: Is audacity a good program to use with Toneport? I have that one because it's free, but I believe it doesn't support ASIO so maybe it's not good... Is there any other free recording software that works well with toneport?

This post has been edited by Fran: Jan 2 2008, 03:48 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 2 2008, 10:20 AM
Well I think it will work ok..In recording software you just choose toneport as your sound card and than you can record..I see people here mention the Reaper software so you may look in that one also...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 2 2008, 06:10 PM
Instructor
You can work with 512 RAM easily, I have worked that way for some time and had no bigger problems.

But you must be weary of the troubles, ASIO driver will crash from time to time, if you have a 5400rpm harddrive it would be difficult to record anything serious in your multitracker, and with 512mb of RAM, you can't really load any serious VST or do a decent inserts in a project.

But you can work, and record with all the effects, just see if you laptop is compatible with Toneport.

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Jan 2 2008, 06:11 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 2 2008, 09:42 PM
My laptop is a toshiba satellite A40.

I tried to search for compatibility but I didn't find any page/forum to ask...

I hope it works.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Lasts questions though, just in case:

Does the Toneport software include the ASIO driver?

Will the toneport Gx + Reaper software allow me to record a backing track while listening to it at the same time?

And will I be able to record something over that backing track I reccorded, hearing both the solo and the previosuly recorded backing track at the same time?

I hope so, because that's the only reason I want to get it!

This post has been edited by Fran: Jan 2 2008, 09:56 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 2 2008, 11:44 PM
Instructor
Yes, the Toneport GX includes ASIO driver. You will get one on the CD in the box, but I suggest you download the newest version from the Line6 site. You can find there Gearbox 3.0 with Line6 Monkey (support\upgrade software - needs internet), and latest ASIO drivers all in one pack. Just search for it in the download or support section.

Yes, you can record the backing track with your guitar while listening to it will all the effects that you want, and with minimum latency. This is achieved because Toneport sends the signal straight through the output, and after that into the Reaper. This is called Tone Direct Monitoring. So, extremly low latency - so low you don't even notice it.

Off course, that's the whole point of overdubbing - right? smile.gif Yes you can listen to the track that you have already recorded and record another one. But be carefull, you laptop isn't too strong and my bet it has a 5400rpm HDD. So save your projects often wink.gif

Get it, it is worth the money trust me smile.gif You can even run all other guitar modelling software with it - Guitar Rig, Amplitube, ReValver...etc with small latency, but you don't even need all that when you have the GearBox that comes with Toneport for free...wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 3 2008, 12:13 AM
Its such a great device for practicing and recording home stuff like backings , solos , writing ides and even good demo recordings wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 3 2008, 12:18 AM
Ok great.

They told me in my local music shop that they should arrive by the end of the week, that will hopefully be before saturday cool.gif

Can't wait smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 3 2008, 12:38 AM
I just did some research, and I'm afraid my laptop's hard drive might be just 4200 rpm!

That's even lower than the min. specs for using Toneport...

Damn!, I certainly wouldn't like to buy a new Pc or laptop... GRRRR unsure.gif

There are external USB harddrives that spin at 7200 rpm... maybe I could get an external hard drive and run everything from there?
(I was thinking of getting a larger USB 2.0 hard drive one of these days anyway, so that wouldn't be a problem).

This post has been edited by Fran: Jan 3 2008, 12:52 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 3 2008, 01:25 AM
Instructor
Hmmm, I really don't know how will the USB HD work in terms of stability - but I don't want to sound pesimistic or anything. Be adventure spirited and buy a Toneport, try it and see if your HD can withstand the "torture" with Reaper. If not, buy an external drive and try with that.

Also remember - ext HD uses a lot of yours laptop USB bandwith for data streaming. Also Toneport uses a lot of USB bandwidth too. See the problem? Make sure (somehow) that these devices can work together with a decent degree in stability.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 3 2008, 01:40 AM
I'll get the toneport and see what happens, at least it's the cheaper model so I won't go bankrupt laugh.gif

I hope it can at least record a simple backing and then a solo over the backing, all pretty simple. That's all I ask for!. SoI think I might get lucky huh.gif

I have another computer that meets the requirements, but it's not a laptop and I'm not always at the same house, that's the reason I wanted to make sure that the laptop could do it.

I'll post next week and tell you guys how it all went cool.gif

Wish me luck wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 3 2008, 01:53 AM
Instructor
You can install the drivers easily on both machines. Toneport is a true PnP device.

Keep us updated smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 6 2008, 07:55 PM
Ok, I promised to post again when I tried the Toneport in my laptop, so here I go cool.gif

I had checked how Gearbox and Reaper work in another (better) computer the past two days, but today I finally got the chance to try it all in my laptop.

Crossing my fingers, thinking about my low RAM, my 4200 rpm HD, and who-knows-what-else that could go wrong and...

All works GREAT so far!
I'm not pushing it too much, because all I did was record a couple tracks: a backing and a solo, and I rendered a few of them to mp3 using Reaper.

So far, so good!

Now, my next move will be getting on of those free programs to add an extra track with some drums, and see what I can do.

I checked how much RAM was being used in the whole proccess, and it was about 330MB, so I guess 512 should be plenty for small scale recording projects like mine.

Thumbs up for Toneport + Reaper! wink.gif

And thanks all again for your help smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 7 2008, 01:42 AM
Instructor
No problem man. Recommend Groove Agent for your drums, it doesn't eats RAM. smile.gif CHeers.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:20 AM