2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Multi Effect, GT-10 vs HD500
AmirZino
Jun 14 2011, 09:09 AM
GMC:er
Hey all smile.gif

After my last thread I've decided to buy a new multi effect.
The BOSS GT-10 is a great pedal but many people told me that the Line6 HD500 is much better.
I haven't used any line 6 product, my current multi effect is the boss me70 which satisfies me.

I'll probably use this pedal for recording and at home but I might use it live as well.
My amplifier is fine (Fender Champion 30DSP) and I might consider replace it later on.

What would you recommend me to do?

Thanks
Amir

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 14 2011, 09:33 AM
Instructor
Hey mate!

I used the Boss GT 3 and GT 8 for a few years, until I bought my first tube amp - my world has changed smile.gif not saying that the GT is not ok, but I think that it's dynamics and warmth aren't that nice compared to a tube amp.

cheerios

Cosmin

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
AmirZino
Jun 14 2011, 09:48 AM
I can't find any tube amp for my needs.
Fender's amps are for blues , jazz , rock.
I read that Blackstar's gain is low.
I am not a big fan of Marshall's amps and I can't find any amp tube from line 6 in my budget.
I think that if i'll buy a new multi effect my sound will be much better considering the fact that my guitar is great for my music style.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 14 2011, 09:49 AM
Instructor
Hello again smile.gif what budget do you have, if I may ask of course smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 14 2011, 09:55 AM
Instructor
There are several things you can do, based on:

1. what you play
2. type of gear you have
3. what you will be using your gear for
4. your budget

if you answer these questions, perhaps we can provide you with options, so you can choose more wisely.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 14 2011, 09:56 AM
Instructor
True smile.gif all the important questions are here

+Quote Post
AmirZino
Jun 14 2011, 09:58 AM
My budget is 750$ +/-.

In Israel the prices are a bit higher due to taxes.

The GT-10 costs 700$
The HD500 costs 700$

Blackstar HT-5 costs 640$
Blackstar HT-20 costs 950$
Blackstar HT-40 costs 1100$

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 14 2011, 10:00 AM
Instructor
Hmmm, please give us the answers for Ivan's questions as well smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 14 2011, 10:06 AM
Instructor
If you want to buy MultiFX unit, it will be good for home recording, home practicing, band rehearsals or pop/rock cover gigs. This is what the MultiFX is practical and the tone quality is just enough to push those activities.

I suggest that you try both devices, and I would recommend HD500, simply because it is more modern device, it surely has better sound. It may have less options then GT10, but the advance of technology is inevitable - the algorithms will sound better on HD500. Every newer digital devices sounds better then the last one, and GT10 came out nearly 4 years ago.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AmirZino
Jun 14 2011, 10:07 AM
I play Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Queen, The Beatles etc but much more I play Dream Theater, Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Andy Timmons, Metallica, Iron Maiden, John Petrucci.

I use Ibanez SV5470 Prestige and my amplifier is the Champion 30DSP by Fender.
for effect i'm using the me-70 by boss.

I play mostly at home but I think I might join a band later on.
I want to use the pedal for recording as well.

My budget is 750$.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 14 2011, 10:12 AM
Instructor
HD500 will be OK for home recording, rehearsals, and small gigs.

Later on, you could swap ME70 & Champion for some other bigger amp with solid clean tone. This will get you covered for gigs.

Be aware of digital devices on stage tho, they are not easy to tame. Levels go down & up sharply, depending on the presets, you have to quickly be able to set up presets on stage, since the sound will be different in every room, you will not have feedback option (not that you need one, but digital processor do not allow feedback, only very hi microphonics). The sound will never be so defined with digital devices, BUT, the rule "what goes in-that goes out" applies here - if you control your instrument well, sound will be OKAY.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 14 2011, 10:12 AM
Instructor
As Ivan said - newer technology is better, so I also think that it would be best that you go for the Line 6 HD 500 right now, but think about raising money for a tube amp - it'll definitely make a difference.

+Quote Post
AmirZino
Jun 14 2011, 10:15 AM
Tube amp + Boss me70 will be better than My Amp + HD500/GT10?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 14 2011, 11:01 AM
Instructor
It will definitely be better. However, not any tube amp will sound better, and every option has it's pros & cons.

You see, when you buy a tube amp, you buy it because of natural overdrive it creates. No digital device can match tube amp's overdrive. There are various types of tube amps on the market, but I will keep these roughly in two categories, although some amps exist in both, depending on the age of the model:

- Vintage amps:
Examples of these would be almost all Marshalls, Fenders, Vox, Hiwatt, Orange and other amps. These amps were proven over the years, you can mostly find these on stages as they are universal, everybody know how to use them. However, they are mostly famous by their crunch or clean sound, hi-gain doesn't sound as tight.
- Modern amps: Mesa, Blackstar, Peavey, Soldano, Bogner etc. These brands are usually connected to hi-gain amps (although they do have vintage models as well), and these amps are usually packed with various features, and ability to produce tight overdriven tone.

As for multiFX unit, you have to understand that it tries to emulate all these amps. HD500 has various presets with colors that are modeled after these legendary amps. A guitar amp tone consists out of two variables, amp and speaker - both are shaping the sound of your guitar. Why is speaker important? Well, the speaker for guitar amp is a lot different then PA system speaker, cause it has narrowed down range (midrange focused), and it has ability to overdrive according to the power it gets. These features are unique to guitar amp speakers.

Since Modelling unit like HD500 is already narrowing down the sound range, by modeling various amps and cabinets, it would be best to use it on a completely clean and hi-fi sounding speaker/amp.

So, if you can now see the "issue" with modelling units:

- Using modelling unit requires clean guitar amp or going directly into PA system
- If you go into clean guitar amp, it would be good idea to bypass the preamp section, and go into poweramp right away. (Usually this is available if amp has FX loop, just connect into return input)
- If you go into PA system, you punch directly into the mixer. This is good, but can be problematic if you don't have good PA system, good tone tech, and monitoring.
- You can get separate poweramp & cab only - this is the best option. It will only amplify and feed to speakers what you make on HD500. The problem here is that poweramp will color some of the tone.

Based on my experience, MultiFX units or modelling units work best when used with super clean amps with lots of headroom.
I'm using my Nova System with super clean Hiwatt DR103, witch handles anything well.
I've used MultiFX Successfully with Roland JC120 in various studios, and worked nicely, this amp is solid state (although very nice warm tone), easy to carry (although it's 212 combo), and can be a great road companion.
Marshalls are not that great for MultiFX units because they color the tone a lot, and always sound crunchy when cranked.
Blackstar could be a nice choice, but you will only use HD500 on a clean channel, or you can put HD500 in FX loop, use only effects from it, and use clean+overdrive from tube amp which will produce better tone, but won't give you variety of modeled tones that you have on HD500.

For starting up with practice, recording, and chance for joining a band in the near future, I recommend HD500. By going through it's presets, you will realize in time what you prefer, and you can then chase down similar tone in an amp, once the time for gigs come. This will give you better tone. Later on you can use HD500 only for effects.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jun 14 2011, 11:07 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jun 14 2011, 11:38 AM
Instructor
I have a GT10, and I can't complain, because I bought it for what I need. I use it mostly for recording (he carries an excellent sound card), and small gigs, when there is no need for amp. Directly in the mixer, and the job is done! I had a lot of processors, and can tell you something .... all of them are the same baloney but different package! For any serious playing- Tube is a tube, there is no doubt !!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jun 14 2011, 03:10 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (AmirZino @ Jun 14 2011, 10:48 AM) *
I can't find any tube amp for my needs.
Fender's amps are for blues , jazz , rock.
I read that Blackstar's gain is low.
I am not a big fan of Marshall's amps and I can't find any amp tube from line 6 in my budget.
I think that if i'll buy a new multi effect my sound will be much better considering the fact that my guitar is great for my music style.

I wonder what review you have read if Blackstar gain is too low...

I have tried out the HT-1, the HT-5 and the HT-40 + I have the HT-dual pedal. I have also heard several demos of the SEries 1 amp line.

I can promise you, that all of them has more than enough gain to satisfy the genres you say you`re playing. The only one that does not have enough gain, is the ARtisan series, which is aimed to be a more vintage series.

So the only thing they don`t have enough gain for, is super hardcore death metal...in that case I would recommend a HT-Dist or HT-DistX pedal from Blackstar. No one in the world need more gain than those pedals possess laugh.gif

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 14 2011, 03:49 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 14 2011, 05:01 AM) *
It will definitely be better. However, not any tube amp will sound better, and every option has it's pros & cons.
... I would recommend a HT-Dist or HT-DistX pedal from Blackstar. No one in the world need more gain than those pedals possess laugh.gif

AMIR: I think you may be confusing "GAIN" with "VOLUME". GAIN typically refers to "Distortion Effects" here is a WIKI LINK. Of course regional variances and language can get in the way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_(music)

If you are planning on using your multi effect box for distortion, the "Gain" on the amp is almost beside the point. What you are looking for in this case is "VOLUME". Just "How Loud" is the signal / audio in question. 60 Watts plus on a guitar amp can keep up with a live drum kit. 100 is more than enough smile.gif

The BLACKSTAR is a great amp and would sound better than what you are running. You would not need the "Gain" so I wouldn't worry about it. Even still, the gain is more than enough, as was mentioned, for anything except Death Metal. From your posts, you don't play Death Metal so you are covered smile.gif

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 14 2011, 03:49 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 14 2011, 04:22 PM
Instructor
I have Pod X3 live and I use it in my studio to praciticng & semi-pro recordings (not albums) and I'm happy with it. Sometimes I also use it live but just as a multiFXs, I use the distortion of my tube amp and the effects from the pod. As everybody said here, the distortions are a bit digital to use them live.
The best alternative here in Argentina for low budgets is to buy a Vintage Electric amp. These amps are designed here and the sound is really good. The price is around US$700 (here in Argentina) and there are many models based on Mesa Boogie, Soldano or Marshall.
This is a video test of the Mesa Style amp which is called "Nû Twin"

the tittle is "just got out of the oven", that's why it is dismantled.

This is how it looks finished... http://sp9.fotolog.com/photo/9/30/51/de_vi...410365640_f.jpg

I could contact you with them however I know that the shipping & taxes could make the amp cost you a bit more... but maybe you could find somebody doing a similar amp in your country...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jun 14 2011, 05:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 14 2011, 05:22 PM) *
I have Pod X3 live and I use it in my studio to praciticng & semi-pro recordings (not albums) and I'm happy with it. Sometimes I also use it live but just as a multiFXs, I use the distortion of my tube amp and the effects from the pod. As everybody said here, the distortions are a bit digital to use them live.
The best alternative here in Argentina for low budgets is to buy a Vintage Electric amp. These amps are designed here and the sound is really good. The price is around US$700 (here in Argentina) and there are many models based on Mesa Boogie, Soldano or Marshall.

This is how it looks finished... http://sp9.fotolog.com/photo/9/30/51/de_vi...410365640_f.jpg

I could contact you with them however I know that the shipping & taxes could make the amp cost you a bit more... but maybe you could find somebody doing a similar amp in your country...

wildebeest wink.gif !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jun 14 2011, 05:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I can relate to you my experience with the Boss GT-10. The effects themselves are solid, and there are endless variations of things you can do with it. It can run two different effect loops into two different amps. It can run two harmonizers at once, for example, one will be in thirds and the other in fifths. Or it can do any other combination of the many effects it has. It can do things no conventional pedal board and amp can do. You will find new things do with it for years to come.

Now heres the drawback: the high gain amps simulations aren't that good. It is very difficult to get a good high gain sound out of it. Its best to use an external source of distortion. Its also a very cumbersome pedal to use. If you like tweaking with knobs, menus and sub-menus, this pedal is for you, otherwise you may want to look into less complicated units.

The HD500 has much better distortions than the Boss. Its also much easier to use. Its not as capable as the GT-10 but you'll probably never fully utilize all the features on the GT-10.

Now if you just want good distortion with a few effects I recommend what everybody else has recommended, and that is a tube amp. Like Ivan said, nothing can completely replicate a tube amps distortion. Definitely look into Blackstar gear. Or if you want pure brutality look into the Peavey 6505 combo.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 14 2011, 11:22 AM) *

Its funny how he has to bang it to get it to work properly. Kinda reminds me of my cousin, you gotta beat him to get him to work tongue.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:21 PM