7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Lick Of The Day - New Competition!
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 9 2008, 09:43 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Ok, guys,

Here is the first competition. Your assignment should you choose to accept it is to invent a new lick of the day, and Video it for us all to learn. You must abide by the following rules:

1. The total video must be no longer than 30 seconds (this is a guide not an absolute rule - 35 seconds will be ok, 40 seconds is too long)
2. You must play the lick once at full speed, and then again at slow speed to illustrate the technique

Judging will be by Forum Poll with the head competition moderator (me!) having casting votes if necessary.

Criteria to be considered for judging will be:

1. Coolness of lick
2. Standard of playing
3. Standard of slow illustration
4. Clarity of video
5. Quality of supporting materals (Tabs, Scales, Explanation)

There will be a separate category for people who can't record video - audio only entries will be judged against each other. The same rules will apply, but obviously the licks won't be judged on video quality!

One important point to note is that a simple lick played perfectly is more valuable than a complex lick played badly - imagine this on the front page of GMC, we want quality and simplicity not ultimate flashiness!

You have until the 23rd of February to submit your licks - there will be a separate thread just for licks - use this thread for questions and comments about the competition in general or the merits of specific entries smile.gif

Voting will start on the 23rd, winners will be announced on the last day of the month.

Since we have 2 categories, there will be 2 main prizes.

For the audio category, first prize will be:

A Creative LiveCam Voice!

Attached Image

Armed with this, you will be able to make a video entry for the next competition!

For the Video Category, the prize is:

A Boss MT2 MetalZone Distortion Pedal

Attached Image

Also, the runner up in each category will get:

3 Sets of Ernie Ball Guitar Strings!

Attached Image

In order to make these licks as high quality as possible, I strongly recommend that you supply a tab, scales and explanatory text as appropriate - in every way these licks should rival those prepared by our founder and inspiration Kris! We will make backup material part of the judging criteria.

So what are you waiting for????

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 9 2008, 09:44 PM
GMC Founder
Jihhaaa!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I can't wait to hear the licks! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Feb 9 2008, 09:49 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
This will be cooool! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Robin
Feb 9 2008, 09:52 PM
GMC:er
This is cool.

Do we provide tabs and explanation with the video or does the winner do that when the comp is over?

This post has been edited by Robin: Feb 9 2008, 09:54 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 9 2008, 09:59 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Feb 9 2008, 03:52 PM) *
This is cool.

Do we provide tabs and explanation with the video or does the winner do that when the comp is over?

Ahh, good thinking smile.gif Let me put it this way, additional materials would improve the overall quality of your entry!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 9 2008, 10:00 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 9 2008, 03:44 PM) *
I can't wait to ... see what the prizes will be! biggrin.gif

Me too unsure.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Davidian
Feb 9 2008, 10:04 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Can one have mutiple entries?
Example: I post 3 'Lick of the Day' vids, Robin posts 2, skennington 1, etc.

(I took Robin and skennington as example 'cause they already posted here)

Oh, and how about the background of the vid? Does it have to be a single coloured wall?
In other words: is it a problem if there's a bed/closet/... in the background?

This post has been edited by Davidian: Feb 9 2008, 10:06 PM

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 9 2008, 10:16 PM
QUOTE (Davidian @ Feb 9 2008, 04:04 PM) *
Can one have mutiple entries?
Example: I post 3 'Lick of the Day' vids, Robin posts 2, skennington 1, etc.

(I took Robin and skennington as example 'cause they already posted here)

Good question - we'll limit it to 2 per person.

QUOTE (Davidian @ Feb 9 2008, 04:04 PM) *
Oh, and how about the background of the vid? Does it have to be a single coloured wall?
In other words: is it a problem if there's a bed/closet/... in the background?

That's up to you - but think about how others will view it during the voting smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Feb 9 2008, 10:31 PM
Awesome! I already have a lick I just have to film it!

EDIT: Do we need a backing track?

This post has been edited by Xranthoius: Feb 9 2008, 10:34 PM

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
superize
Feb 9 2008, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I also have lick that i only need to record but are their any time limits on the minumum leanght on the lick

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
SamJ
Feb 9 2008, 11:08 PM
To supersize:

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 9 2008, 08:43 PM) *
1. The total video must be no longer than 30 seconds (this is a guide not an absolute rule - 35 seconds will be ok, 40 seconds is too long)

This post has been edited by Sam Hook: Feb 9 2008, 11:09 PM

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Feb 9 2008, 11:22 PM
I'm done.... where do I upload it?

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
Davidian
Feb 9 2008, 11:24 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
There's a thread in the GMC Competetion section where you can upload them wink.gif

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 10 2008, 01:13 AM
No backing track required or indeed allowed, no minimum time limit.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
superize
Feb 10 2008, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
its really frustrating.... I have i lick but i have nothing good to record with. I could post it but i would lose su much on picture quality

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 10 2008, 03:15 AM
Go ahead and post it - you never know smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 10 2008, 04:51 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Better to post and wait rather then to never post and wonder wacko.gif Man I wish I had my Tone Port, uuuuggghhh! Have to wait till my tax return to get it. Dam government!

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Feb 10 2008, 04:52 AM

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Feb 10 2008, 08:01 AM
Instructor
yeah, another excelent idea wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 10 2008, 06:33 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This is a great competition , can't wait to hear members entries!!! wink.gif Good luck all !

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Feb 10 2008, 06:38 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Can I post more licks?biggrin.gif I have few ideas and cant decide on what one to choose:D (sorry I somehow skipped that post:D thoutgh I read this thread 2 times up and down completely:D life is strange:D )

Btw. I want to record audio via mic, but video will be recorded on camera... Is there a possibility ty complete it in Cubase? Or do I have to fix sound in Cubase and then merge it in Win Movie maker?

And can I talk when showing it in slow motion? Like notes and tips on how to nail it etc..

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Feb 10 2008, 07:00 PM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:30 PM