5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Amp Question, help in getting a decent amp
maharzan
Aug 8 2009, 10:42 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Hi Muris,

As you might have seen my other thread in the gear forum, I have been looking for a good small amp. I don't have access to any tube amps so don't have any idea which would be the best. I have been looking for a good amp for quite a while and can't decide which one to get. I have some cash now and really want to get one great tube amp which I can use for home practice and recording. If not amp, I am also ready to get any preamps or such like the triaxis. You have all sorts of experiences so I would love to hear yours. I am sure you might have done quite a lot of research when you got your triaxis too.

What were your preferences? I am asking this because I like your tone in your records.

Thanks so much.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 8 2009, 11:01 AM
Instructor
Hi. smile.gif

Thing with my recordings, I haven't used Triaxis for those.
My first album was done with Rocktron Prophesy (which I still have)
and for all other stuff I record (GMC lessons included)
I use different things, depending of what I'm looking for.
I used Korg Pandora PX4D A LOT.
Now I use GR3 since I like the option to change the tone after I record my part.

Amp wise, I have Engl Souvereign 2x12 combo hooked with G-Force in FX loop.
I also still have Mesa Triaxis and 2:90 (with few cabs)
but this combo thing works better for me,
better attack and response, probably because of less cables.
It's a sweet amp, 4 channels, all tube, midi etc.
But it costs around 2300 euros. sad.gif

Rocktron is good deal for buck imo.
I had Voodoo Valve years ago, very nice drives and cleans.
Effects are not top notch (at least not like G-Force)
but they DO the job, no doubt.
Triaxis is cool but pretty expensive and dry whatsoever,
you would need some extra FX unit to work with it.

It all comes down to your budget I'm afraid,
tell me how much money do you have and I can point you at some gear. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 8 2009, 12:36 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Great to hear your gear experiences. I am really not restricting myself on the bugdet right now. I want to get THE AMP and settle with it for a lifetime (hopefully) so I am thinking I can spend quite a bit. smile.gif I want to have a list of amps and then look for the feasibility of them bringing home.

I will look into the amps you have mentioned.

Thanks Muris.

This post has been edited by maharzan: Aug 8 2009, 12:40 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 9 2009, 04:15 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
How about Marshall JCM 800 or 900 heads through speaker simulators?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 9 2009, 04:47 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
apologies for butting in Muris - have a look at this site here maharzan, it contains mp3 sound clips and links to other sites of quite a lot of tube amps and simulators. Could be helpful in giving you at least an idea of what the various amps are like and so help narrow down your list.

One thing to think about for home practising...
Valve amps need to be run hot to get the best out of them. 50W/100W is extremely loud for home use and can produce spl that could cause you hearing problems. I would recommend that you get an attenuator at the same time as you get the amp. If you don't want to do this then you either need to get a non valve amp or a much smaller one (ie 5W or less) for home use.

If you get a preamp then this may not be an issue as some preamps include a built in speaker dummy load switch.

also try this link. Quite a few of links on the other one are out of date but this seems to work better.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 9 2009, 05:20 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks Tony! appreciated.

will take a look.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 9 2009, 05:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Aug 9 2009, 05:15 PM) *
How about Marshall JCM 800 or 900 heads through speaker simulators?

Those are fine amps for sure.
I'm not huge fan of Marshall tho
but MANY players love it so I can't argue.
But Tony has a point, you don't need those
for home recording and practicing, too loud indeed.
As for myself, I use GR3 a lot for those purposes and I really can't complain a lot.
Of course GR cannot sound as real as tube amp
but there are many kudos, no need to carry it around, takes less (or no) space,
offers many options sound wise (effects, patches) etc.

And if you still really need tube sound with maybe some effects
for home recording and practicing only then
I would go for preamp with effects, it usually costs less money
than full amp and you can practice with headphones
without disturbing neighbors and everyone around you.
At the end, why would you pay for an amp (power section)
if you're going to use it with speaker simulators?

Rocktron Prophesy or Rocktron Voodoo Valve,
give them a try. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 10 2009, 04:16 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks Muris. I have been thinking that as well. Preamps would be great I think. But I want to 'own' an amp as well (which I don't right now) and feel the sound. I am actually done with DSP. I am just not liking that digital sound you know. I have a DigiTech GNX4 and though it sounds cool and a lot of options, I have had enough of it. Similar with all VTS plugins. Thus looking more into actual warmth / punchy / tube sounds. smile.gif

Roctron seems more like DSP though I liked the video demo on the Prophesy. I am looking into tube amps / preamps mostly for records I will be making in near future (which I want to do desparately). I have recorded with GNX4 and other digital pedals and I am hating the thin, sharp sounding tone. For practice, recording licks, GR3 is great.. easy / fast setup.

At one time earlier I was nearly going to get the Mesa Boogie Mark II amp only to reconsider because shipping was more expensive than the amp itself. sad.gif I like the Mesa Boogie Tone too. From the other thread, many are recommending Blackstar HT-5 amps. I am looking into those as well.

I will look into the Voodu valve preamp.

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 10 2009, 05:30 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Looking into this right now.. smile.gif

Just a quick question Muris: What exactly is a Triaxis? Is it like a tube preamp but also has a digital circuitry to store presets?

and What is 2:90 for? Is it a simulator or a power amp? can it connect directly to 2x12 cabs for example or to the computer for recording?

Sorry .. no idea and the desc on the mesa site isn't so clear to me.

Thanks.

This post has been edited by maharzan: Aug 10 2009, 05:36 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 10 2009, 06:00 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Sorry for flooding but while I was searching I got into this also: Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp

Sounds like its antic now but sounds good. And a lot cheaper too (I think). Selling for around $500 used.. or less

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 11 2009, 01:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Aug 10 2009, 07:00 AM) *
Sorry for flooding but while I was searching I got into this also: Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp

Sounds like its antic now but sounds good. And a lot cheaper too (I think). Selling for around $500 used.. or less

Yeah, that one is pretty old,
my friend has it but I never played it enough tho.

Triaxis is a preamp, full tube preamp.
It does have implemented midi setup so you could store your presets.
That's just for storing, that digi part of the unit.
And 2:90 is a stereo power amp with 2 separate sections of 90watts.
So when you mix Triaxis and 2:90 you get ultra powerful amp head
cause that's what head is, preamp and amp section.
So you can go into any cab after 2:90, 2x12,4x12 etc.
For home recording you won't need 2:90 tho,
you use Triaxis for that since it has recording outputs.
Of course you can always mic your cab even for home recording.

Once again I strongly advise you to check out those 2 Rocktron preamps,
those are more than great to start your tube tone journey.
Digitech is very poor sound wise, I know how it feels
but believe me, Rocktron is something else.
You can get preamp only for now and it'll serve you great for recording.
Plus you can also use it for live through PA system.
Then you can buy a power amp and a cab latter on
to complete your rig.

There are many options, even Blackstar HT-5 you mentioned
but you REALLY need to know what do you need
and how much you're willing to spend, there are hardly any rules. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 11 2009, 02:03 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks again Muris. That hurted a bit (about Digitech).. wink.gif But I really want to get the 5 tubes thing and feel that world and never look back. I will need to save and find a way about shipping.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 11 2009, 11:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Aug 11 2009, 03:03 AM) *
Thanks again Muris. That hurted a bit (about Digitech).. wink.gif But I really want to get the 5 tubes thing and feel that world and never look back. I will need to save and find a way about shipping.

I meant no harm, I just shared my opinion. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 12 2009, 03:53 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Not a problem at all Muris. smile.gif Learnt many things purchasing and trying out different amps. Never actually knew how tubes / analog were until I used that box. smile.gif

Looking for triaxis - Found one on austrian site:

http://cgi.ebay.at/Mesa-Boogie-Triaxis-Pre...id=p3286.c0.m14

Looks good condition (need some translation though). But 1580 euro is like (little high). What do you think? Not many seem to sell the triaxis. smile.gif

This one from the German site: http://cgi.ebay.de/Mesa-Boogie-Triaxis-2-1...4#ht_750wt_1167

Looks like European versions are expensive that US ones.. (shipping?)

This post has been edited by maharzan: Aug 12 2009, 05:03 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 12 2009, 07:43 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 9 2009, 10:47 AM) *
Valve amps need to be run hot to get the best out of them. 50W/100W is extremely loud for home use and can produce spl that could cause you hearing problems. I would recommend that you get an attenuator at the same time as you get the amp. If you don't want to do this then you either need to get a non valve amp or a much smaller one (ie 5W or less) for home use.

Thanks Tony. I researched this after you post. Independent sellers make some decent ones now for $60 to a little over $100 now, that sound as good as the expensive ones you had to buy in the past. Basically either the TubeJuice or the Little Sucker. The former has a few more features, and they make bigger ones for 100 watt amps. But both get the same reviews, which are generally good. I am getting the $60 one, that is sufficient for up to 50 watts provided you don't go nuts with it, which is not my intent (God gave us Metal Zones for a reason). If for no other reason, most of us can't afford to blow amps periodically because we use them as a heavy distortion box.

Anyway thanks for your idea Tony.

edit: not that it is important to edit this, but it came up, so.....I am now leaning towards a Weber Mini 50W. They operate on a different principle that the above, and most seem to like it better. Costs $100 new. I heard a demo and it sounded pretty good. Decent. I don't want it to push the amp to max, just to crank it up some. To me it seems to improve tone is used in that fashion, tube amps need to be turned up some, maybe half way, to start sounding good. But for a lot of distortion, that is why God created Distortion pedals for.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Aug 14 2009, 03:09 AM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 12 2009, 03:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Aug 12 2009, 04:53 AM) *
Not a problem at all Muris. smile.gif Learnt many things purchasing and trying out different amps. Never actually knew how tubes / analog were until I used that box. smile.gif

Looking for triaxis - Found one on austrian site:

http://cgi.ebay.at/Mesa-Boogie-Triaxis-Pre...id=p3286.c0.m14

Looks good condition (need some translation though). But 1580 euro is like (little high). What do you think? Not many seem to sell the triaxis. smile.gif

This one from the German site: http://cgi.ebay.de/Mesa-Boogie-Triaxis-2-1...4#ht_750wt_1167

Looks like European versions are expensive that US ones.. (shipping?)

Well yeah, brand new Triaxis costs around 2300-2500 euros in Europe, depends of store and country.
1580 euros for used one is pretty common tho,
you'll hardly find in below that price in Europe. sad.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 12 2009, 03:43 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
So, I am guessing it would be cheaper to get it from the US and then ship it (together). One of my friends shipped fender telecaster from US at $200 (shipping).. (now that was cheap smile.gif ).. so even if it costs 1200 $ (looks like most of them sell on that range) I am ready to pay upto $500 on shipping which comes out cheaper than in Europe. smile.gif Even the brand new one costs $2000 (cheaper than in used one in europe).

The only concern is the 110V issue (which I am sure I can ask the local electricians to convert to 220V) or just use a converter, if that doesn't damage anything. I have done that before as well.

I am thinking of shipping all 3 triaxis, 2:90, g-force at once to save some shipping fees.. but that really depends on if I can find them. smile.gif

This post has been edited by maharzan: Aug 12 2009, 03:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 13 2009, 02:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Aug 12 2009, 04:43 PM) *
I am thinking of shipping all 3 triaxis, 2:90, g-force at once to save some shipping fees.. but that really depends on if I can find them. smile.gif

That would be probably the best solution
but be sure to check out customs at your country,
more gear would be more interesting to them to charge,
one at the time might go "under the radar"
or at least with lower customs. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 13 2009, 06:20 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Probably might need to bribe them (which is very common here).

Okay, I have searched GOOGLE and virtually found threads and sales and have also posted on two sites, jemsite and boogie forum but haven't yet found anyone selling. found very few in ebay. I might have to wait..

Ya.. probably, I will just try to get one at a time I guess. Can't seem to find all.

Ah, I found 2 items selling from the same guy at ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Stereo-Sim...4#ht_1295wt_941

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Triaxis-Ra...4#ht_1331wt_941

Muris, from your experience, what can you tell about the item and the seller? safe to buy? and items looks good too. What do you say? I asked a question yesterday but haven't received any answer yet.

Oh and i forgot to ask you... What is the PHAT mode on triaxis? Do I need to get one with that mode? I saw it was recommended on your thread. How do we know it has that mode?

This post has been edited by maharzan: Aug 13 2009, 06:09 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 13 2009, 01:14 PM
Instructor
These 2 items look ok for what I've seen,
some minor scratches which is usual with all used rack gear.
And seller seems to be ok too, lots of deal with 97% feedback, that is pretty good.

Phat mode on Triaxis affects Lead 1 Red channel only,
it gives more lows and punch, sort of speak.
I think every Triaxis made after 97 is Phat version.
Phat mode is another individual thing, some people like it, some don't.
Truth is, you'll be able to get amazing sounds with or without Phat
and Triaxis without Phat can be upgraded to Phat for 100-200$, no big deal. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:09 PM