2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Guitar Constantly Getting Out Of Tune
megadeth1117
Oct 12 2008, 05:21 AM
GMC:er
Hi, I just wanted to know what I should do if the last three strings of my guitar keeping flattening, i have to tune it 3 times before I play

Thanks in advance

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by megadeth1117: Oct 12 2008, 05:29 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 12 2008, 05:25 AM
what kind of guitar?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
megadeth1117
Oct 12 2008, 05:29 AM
Whoops, left that out

Its a Dean VX http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-VX-Electr...497-i1150761.gc

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 12 2008, 05:33 AM
Is it brand new or have you had it for awhile?

--------------------

+Quote Post
megadeth1117
Oct 12 2008, 05:41 AM
i think its been a year or so

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 12 2008, 05:42 AM
have you always had this problem or is it something that just started to happen?

--------------------

+Quote Post
megadeth1117
Oct 12 2008, 05:43 AM
well its been like this for a few months maybe 5-6, but i didn't think it was serious, but now its starting to annoy me

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 12 2008, 05:44 AM
Did you switch the brand of strings you play with or guage?

--------------------

+Quote Post
megadeth1117
Oct 12 2008, 05:57 AM
Yes, I have changed string brands once, but the gauges were always the same

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 12 2008, 06:01 AM
Was it ok with that other brand of strings? or did it still go out of tune easily

--------------------

+Quote Post
megadeth1117
Oct 12 2008, 06:36 AM
If i remember correctly, I think it was fine

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 12 2008, 06:39 AM
then switch back to that other brand of strings and see if its ok

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Oct 12 2008, 07:58 AM
how do you wound your string around the tuners? Do you just wound them around, or do you use some kind of special locking technique?

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
berko
Oct 12 2008, 12:30 PM
I think you should check whether the strings are not slipping off the tuner (maybe they have been fixed too loose or something).

If that's not the case, then try stretching the strings carefully and see how much they drop. After a while they shouldn't drop below a half note.

My third advice would be to switch back to your regular brand strings, to see what happen.

That, i hope, solves, the problem wink.gif smile.gif

AND rock on biggrin.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
erik
Oct 12 2008, 12:49 PM
It might also help to tighten the screws on the tuning pegs.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 12 2008, 01:07 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
If the:

- strings are brand new they will stretch
- strings are too old they may run bad
- nut is too tight. Might be it's fit for 009 but 010 gets stuck. Put graphite on.
- neck isn't set for the 010 string tention (different brand 010's can have different tension) it may need a setup
- strings are slipping at the bridge. Not so likely with a tune o matic + stop tail though
- machine heads are of low quality. Get new ones.

My bet is the machine heads which are very important for a guitar to stay in tune.
That it's three strings on the same side and you have 3+3 makes me wonder though... if it's more serious than just the machineheads alone.

+Quote Post
megadeth1117
Oct 12 2008, 04:15 PM
thanks guys for all the help smile.gif

I was doing some research on my guitar, I think it might be the tuning pegs because people keep saying that they had to change them, I will switch back to the older brand I used previously and see how that works

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 13 2008, 06:56 PM
Instructor
I think machine heads are loose, try tightening them up with a screwdriver.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 13 2008, 07:02 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Are you experiencing this with just new strings when you put them on or all the time with strings that have settled in..What happens after you tune the guitar properly , how long does it stay in tune ?? As said above , most likely its the tuning pegs to blame!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
megadeth1117
Oct 13 2008, 08:40 PM
The problem just starting happening randomly,

When I tune the guitar it probably stays in tune for about 5 minutes, after that another 10 minutes I have to tune it again

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:57 AM