The Most Embarassing Question I've Ever Asked..., ...YET!!!
Rated Htr
Sep 3 2008, 01:43 AM
Experienced Rock Star
I've been studying lots of theory lately and I feel that my knowledge is getting bigger, also by Kjutte's advice I've been jamming as much as I can, on different modes and keys...but there's one thing that a guitarrist needs, and that is licks.
Ok, getting licks...There's tones of ways to do it, so I saw some licks and liked them, but than I was like...I don't wanna do the same stuff in the same place as someone, so I got stucked, how do I change a lick from it's place, from it's mode? I was seeing one of Pavel's lesson, and I liked one of is licks, just not the sound, so I wanted to try and incorporate it in another mode such as Aeolian, is that possible? :/

(Things like this make me wonder how much do I really know)

Thanks in advance
Filipe

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ignite
Sep 3 2008, 02:03 AM
GMC:er
Sure, it's all using the same notes, your just playing them on a different part of the neck. It may sound higher or lower, just find the one you like. Find what key it's in, figure out which mode is used to play it, and just mess around with it, take certain parts and make up your own lick.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Sep 3 2008, 03:01 AM
Instructor
It doesn't sound like a dumb question to me, it makes sense you would like to see a typical lick with a different sound, If I get your question, you should do exactly what are thinking, take a lick for instance and move it to a different shape on the scale.

I hope this is what you are asking

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Sep 3 2008, 03:14 AM
Experienced Rock Star
For example, I have a lick...

|--6--| |--6--| |--6--| |--6--| |--6--| |--6--| |--6--| |--6--|
E||--20-19-17----------------------------------------------------------------|
B||-----------20-18-17-20-18-17----------------------------------------------|
G||-----------------------------19-17-16-19-17-16----------------------------|
D||-----------------------------------------------19-17-15-19-17-15----------|
A||-----------------------------------------------------------------19-17-15-|
E||--------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I don't want it in here, I want it somewhere else, let's say, I want it to start on the 9th fret...do I do the same pattern? and if I want to change it to another mode? Do I have to try and fit the pattern of Ionian in this case and change it to a Dorian Pattern?

This post has been edited by Rated Htr: Sep 3 2008, 03:16 AM

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Sep 3 2008, 03:28 AM
Instructor
The lick you posted is a pattern, is a group of notes organized in 1-2-2-2-1 (the n°2 is for double repetition). So you can do this in every mode you want. Is very different when the lick is not just a group of notes but a phrase that has a melodic sound that conducts to a resolution for example. (I'm not saying that this lick doesn't but there are certain licks that have a stronger melodic feeling).
Move the starting note of this lick and make the same pattern of 3 notes (1-2-2-2-1).
I hope it was useful.
biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Sep 3 2008, 03:33 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Yeah it was, but not quite what I was looking for but, it was my fault to post that lick, this question kinda appeared after I saw this lick:

E|-----------------------------------13-12--16--|
B|-----------------------13--12(13)-------------|
G|--------13-14-13(14)--------------------------|
D|--14-15---------------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------|
E|----------------------------------------------|

I really disliked the sound, but I'm looking for new note combinations and this one seemed different from what I'm playing...that's the idea that made me write this topic smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Sep 3 2008, 04:13 AM
You can move any lick all over the neck, note the intervals between the notes and just move it. The fingerings will change but the notes will be the same. All the modes in the given scale are the same notes so you can't really mess it up as long as you stay in the given scale. Figure out what notes are what, figure out the intervals between and go nuts. Go up and down octaves - it will make the lick more interesting.

This post has been edited by fatb0t: Sep 3 2008, 04:17 AM

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Sep 3 2008, 09:08 AM
Instructor
Man, you are walking in the CORRECT way, congrats, 'cos it's really important.
To translate licks from one scale to another just need to study it. For example, you are playing 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th in major mode. If you want to translate it into a minor mode just need to follow the minor scale with contains a b3, b6 and b7

MAJOR: 1,2,3,5,7
MINOR: 1,2,b3,5,b7

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Sep 3 2008, 03:01 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I see, I think I'll try to see what happens smile.gif

Thanks Everyone

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Sep 3 2008, 03:09 PM
Instructor
yeah, that's the key wink.gif Good luck !!

+Quote Post
kjutte
Sep 3 2008, 05:24 PM
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Sep 3 2008, 02:43 AM) *
I've been studying lots of theory lately and I feel that my knowledge is getting bigger, also by Kjutte's advice I've been jamming as much as I can, on different modes and keys...but there's one thing that a guitarrist needs, and that is licks.
Ok, getting licks...There's tones of ways to do it, so I saw some licks and liked them, but than I was like...I don't wanna do the same stuff in the same place as someone, so I got stucked, how do I change a lick from it's place, from it's mode? I was seeing one of Pavel's lesson, and I liked one of is licks, just not the sound, so I wanted to try and incorporate it in another mode such as Aeolian, is that possible? :/

(Things like this make me wonder how much do I really know)

Thanks in advance
Filipe

As I've told you 100 times, you gotta change the chordprogression to get another feel of what you're playing.

Note: if it's a riff, it will act like the backing, so then you have to translate it into the rules of the chosen mode.

This post has been edited by kjutte: Sep 3 2008, 05:27 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 3 2008, 06:04 PM
Instructor
I think what the man wanted is to be able to translate one sequence into the same key, but on a different pattern. I recommend doing this, specially, transferring the sequence in all kind of positions up and down. This helps developing technique and ear too.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:33 PM