What Song Would You Play For A Music Assessment Or Audition?
Benis
Nov 16 2008, 12:10 AM
GMC:er
What song would you pick if you were being assessed? What did you guys play when you auditioned for a university? I am sure there are MANY people out there that need to do something like this and are totally clueless of what songs they could play. I am more or less one of them, though i do not have anything coming up soon. Whats a song with a great variety of skills? Please if you can list songs or licks for all levels of players from beginner to advanced, to help people get full marks in this situation.

Thanks! laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Nov 16 2008, 12:17 AM
Instructor
I would have gone with a Gary Moore song. You can never go wrong with a good performance of a Moore song smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
jer
Nov 16 2008, 12:50 AM
Acoustic or electric?

For acoustic I'd play "Dee" by Randy Rhoads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xKJOjpZbZ4

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 16 2008, 12:54 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I really don't know I guess it depends greatly for what you are applying..I guess one instrumental song is a must (where you can show off your skills)...But be careful to choose one which you can execute perfectly ..if you can't its much better to choose an easier song than to play a "Decently" hard one.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
ParalyzedHorse
Nov 16 2008, 01:01 AM
Norwegian Cowbell by Paul Gilbert!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 16 2008, 01:21 AM
Instructor
I would like to know as well, but can't make up my mind. In the end, maybe it would be some kind of a jazz/funk standard.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Canis
Nov 16 2008, 01:56 AM
Learning Rock Star
I agree with Trond; A Moore song never disappoints (when done right) wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Nov 16 2008, 02:37 AM
something from van halen... probably the song im the one

--------------------

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Nov 16 2008, 03:09 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I would play David Wallimann Soul Lesson

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Nov 16 2008, 03:20 AM
I played Needled 24/7 and it got me a scholarship.. So i guess that.

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 16 2008, 03:57 AM
QUOTE (Enucleation @ Nov 15 2008, 09:20 PM) *
I played Needled 24/7 and it got me a scholarship.. So i guess that.

I just listened to that, well 20 seconds.

out of curiosity, what kind of scholarship was that?

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Nov 16 2008, 04:01 AM
To play in the show band at my school. It's pretty fun, the only music we play is Bon Jovi but its still kinda cool.

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 16 2008, 04:07 AM
QUOTE (Enucleation @ Nov 15 2008, 10:01 PM) *
To play in the show band at my school. It's pretty fun, the only music we play is Bon Jovi but its still kinda cool.

Sounds good. Bon Jovi is ok, he paid his dues to get where he got.

Here is an 80's video with him backing one of my favorite 80's singers. Paul Shaffer is in this also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3DRcHUv1_U

+Quote Post
Vaialation1232
Dec 23 2008, 01:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Benis @ Nov 15 2008, 03:10 PM) *
What song would you pick if you were being assessed? What did you guys play when you auditioned for a university? I am sure there are MANY people out there that need to do something like this and are totally clueless of what songs they could play. I am more or less one of them, though i do not have anything coming up soon. Whats a song with a great variety of skills? Please if you can list songs or licks for all levels of players from beginner to advanced, to help people get full marks in this situation.

Thanks! laugh.gif

A majority of colleges teach mainly jazz and classical stuff right? Id say you should pick from that genre so maybe like autumn leaves or anything like that (id say wonderful slippery thing-guthrie govan too but its near impossible)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 23 2008, 04:30 PM
Instructor
If you are looking to get into Jazz studies I would recommend preparing Blues head (perhaps Coltrane or Parker blues), regular standard (AABA form) and then perhaps some MODAL tune (So what, Impressions etc).

Ideally if it has to come down to one song I would have tough choice deciding between John Coltrane, Michael Brecker and Charlie Parker.

For Rock type studies I would definitely do some Eric Johnson. I have heard literally everybody to play Satriani , then Vai is close second , and after them you get Petruci or Vinnie Moore etc. Such a small % of students prepare Eric Johnson and he has it all in my opinion - that should be easy enter to any school (Manhattan, SRV, Cliffs of Dover etc).

Good luck , whatever you pick cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ErikEklund
Dec 23 2008, 04:42 PM
I played Surfing with the alien by Joe Satriani when I was on audition to my school smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 23 2008, 04:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ErikEklund @ Dec 23 2008, 04:42 PM) *
I played Surfing with the alien by Joe Satriani when I was on audition to my school smile.gif

Hehe yeah !
Its Surfing or Summer song or Satch boogie ... So many cool tracks to choose from smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Dec 23 2008, 05:29 PM
I'm thinking of auditioning with Cause We've Ended As Lovers by Jeff Beck for a school soon. So I'd pick that one tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jesse
Dec 23 2008, 06:09 PM
neil zaza - Im alright:D

I gotto play practical music exam in 2 years;) Ill try satch boogie and like im alright, idk yet:D OR FREE BIRD:D Or just play 10 songs!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Dec 26 2008, 09:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Benis @ Nov 16 2008, 01:10 AM) *

Thanks! laugh.gif

I would firstly pick something appropriate! haha don't go into that kind of situation shredding some cannibal corpse!
Something musical, melodic, and challenging but not out of your capability.
I'm guessing it should work well as a solo performed piece as well, as you didn't mention anything about a band.

For a slightly different flavour and not to difficult try tears in the rain by Joe Satriani.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:13 PM