2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Which Ibanez Is Better?
Marshmall0wz
Apr 26 2009, 01:14 AM
GMC:er
Hey I've been throwing a bunch of different gear ideas recently and I've narrowed it down to these two. The Ibanez RGA121 Prestige and the Ibanez RG2610E Prestige. I'm just wondering what were peoples thoughts on these two models. Most importantly, can I take off the locking nut on the RG2610E (probably a dumb question but i've only had a Gibson) and am I gonna miss having a neck humbucker, Yes, this is definately a question for myself but i was wondering how versatile the Full Shred Pickup is. The pickup Selector on my guitar is broken so i've only used one for the past year, and whenever I play a guitar I usually end up favoring one pickup WAY more anyway.
Which would you pick?
I can get both for $500
Thanks smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Marshmall0wz: Apr 26 2009, 01:14 AM

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Apr 26 2009, 01:45 AM
the full shred is a nice pick up, but many swap it...you are as limited with any guitar are you are, you can make the most of it or not...

the 2610 is top notch, the 121 is great as well...it all depends what you are going to be doing ,and if you want a trem or not....either way, you cant go wrong with either

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Apr 26 2009, 02:22 AM
Like Marc said, both are choices you can't go wrong with, but personally, I'd go with the RGA, only because I favor arch-tops and don't like floating bridges. Oh, and I like having 2 pickups, also.

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Apr 26 2009, 02:49 AM
Well this is going to be my Melodic Metalcore guitar for my new band I'm not sure whether I need 2 pickups

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
kjutte
Apr 26 2009, 09:29 PM
QUOTE (Marshmall0wz @ Apr 26 2009, 03:49 AM) *
Well this is going to be my Melodic Metalcore guitar for my new band I'm not sure whether I need 2 pickups

3 for versatility IMO.

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Apr 26 2009, 09:50 PM
haha well that's what I have on my gibson and it just pisses me off for some reason, sounds bad

This post has been edited by Marshmall0wz: Apr 26 2009, 09:50 PM

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 26 2009, 10:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
If you don't need a tremolo and you are willing to swap humbuckers then the RGA is the way to go. The only let downs are the bad IBZ pickups but with a nice set of your choice you'll have a great guitar!

IF you need the trem and you can live with just one humbucker (the full shred is a good pickup; Opeth use them; the cleans are great, they are very dynamic but they sound a bit flat when distorted imho).

Tonewise I prefer mahagony+cap, basswood is just too neutral sounding...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Apr 26 2009, 11:20 PM
i agree with zak about the mahogany

i used to think tone woods were a myth, but after owning several guitars with different woods, i found that each type reacted differently with my same amp

and it wasnt a pick up thing either, i use either the same type of pick ups on all of them, or at least the same EQ

basswood is very good at sounding good with everything

other woods are GREAT sounding when you put them together with a pick up set with an EQ right to match your wood

i agree with zak about the mahogany

i used to think tone woods were a myth, but after owning several guitars with different woods, i found that each type reacted differently with my same amp

and it wasnt a pick up thing either, i use either the same type of pick ups on all of them, or at least the same EQ

basswood is very good at sounding good with everything

other woods are GREAT sounding when you put them together with a pick up set with an EQ right to match your wood

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Apr 26 2009, 11:29 PM
QUOTE (kjutte @ Apr 26 2009, 04:29 PM) *
3 for versatility IMO.

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Apr 26 2009, 05:02 PM) *
If you don't need a tremolo and you are willing to swap humbuckers then the RGA is the way to go. The only let downs are the bad IBZ pickups but with a nice set of your choice you'll have a great guitar!

IF you need the trem and you can live with just one humbucker (the full shred is a good pickup; Opeth use them; the cleans are great, they are very dynamic but they sound a bit flat when distorted imho).

Tonewise I prefer mahagony+cap, basswood is just too neutral sounding...

I was assuming that I'll change the pickups to EMG 81/85's anyway, but I'm not sure because one of my favorite bands uses the guitar with the stock ones.

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Apr 26 2009, 11:59 PM
My vote is for the the RG2610E for sure. It's surprisingly versatile for one pickup and no tone knob.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 27 2009, 12:12 AM
Learning Tone Master
Which band uses the stock IBZ pickups?

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Apr 27 2009, 03:34 AM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Apr 26 2009, 07:12 PM) *
Which band uses the stock IBZ pickups?

For Today. The guitarist on the right has it, and his sweeps sound really articulate. Probably just technique but every note in the sweeps seems to really have it's own bloom. Also my favorite band August Burns Red uses the guitar, but they use EMG's. Also they aren't just designed by Ibanez, made by Ibanez. They designed by BOTH Dimarzio and Ibanez together and made by ONLY Dimarzio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaWUPLKakco

This post has been edited by Marshmall0wz: Apr 27 2009, 03:39 AM

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Apr 27 2009, 03:38 AM
The only band that comes to mind is Offspring for the stock IBZ.

I would only recommend the Duncan full shred for stuff in either standard or Drop D tunings. Once you start getting into the Drop C category, it's a bit muddy without lots of distortion.

--------------------
Guitars:
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Apr 27 2009, 03:59 AM
QUOTE (Sircraigery @ Apr 26 2009, 10:38 PM) *
The only band that comes to mind is Offspring for the stock IBZ.

I would only recommend the Duncan full shred for stuff in either standard or Drop D tunings. Once you start getting into the Drop C category, it's a bit muddy without lots of distortion.

What would you recommend, because i tune to Drop C. I'm thinking EMG's but I hear they are deceiving

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Apr 27 2009, 04:23 AM
if you're thinking active pickups, I'd recommend the Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They're like EMGs but they have a more "organic" tone compared to them. If you want to stay passive, though, some good Bare Knuckles Pickups will do you justice smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Apr 27 2009, 04:28 AM
QUOTE (Fullmetal_Tmd @ Apr 26 2009, 11:23 PM) *
if you're thinking active pickups, I'd recommend the Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They're like EMGs but they have a more "organic" tone compared to them. If you want to stay passive, though, some good Bare Knuckles Pickups will do you justice smile.gif

I'm interested in them but I really don't link the words Seymour Duncan and Metal. Also, how would i fit a 9 volt battery for an EMG or BLACKOUT in the guitar (it has passive pickups) Have you tried both EMGS and BLACKOUTS?

This post has been edited by Marshmall0wz: Apr 27 2009, 04:45 AM

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
Evil_Invader
Apr 27 2009, 03:51 PM
Try the new S5470 Prestige. That is a killer guitar.

S5470F if you don't need to use your tremolo a lot.

--------------------
LIVE FOR STEEL - DIE FOR STEEL!!!

RIOTOR thrash/death metal hell

http://www.riotor.ca

http://www.myspace.com/riotor

Gear:

Ibanez S5470 sol
Bc Rich Warlock Nj

Framus Cobra v2
VHT Fatbottom p50e
Rocktron Xpression
Rocktron Midimate
DOD SR231 EQ
Boss NS-2

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Apr 27 2009, 05:01 PM
the s5470 is an ok guitar, not as "prestige" as you would think,

believe it or not, the SV5470 is much better in quality, and sustain (which is the complaint of the S prestiges)

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Apr 27 2009, 08:51 PM
QUOTE (Evil_Invader @ Apr 27 2009, 10:51 AM) *
Try the new S5470 Prestige. That is a killer guitar.

S5470F if you don't need to use your tremolo a lot.

QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Apr 27 2009, 12:01 PM) *
the s5470 is an ok guitar, not as "prestige" as you would think,

believe it or not, the SV5470 is much better in quality, and sustain (which is the complaint of the S prestiges)

I've played both and....meh nothing special. Definitely not worth the cash. The RGA blows it away IMO.

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Apr 28 2009, 04:58 AM
For drop C I just went and put a metal muff in front of the Mesa, and it sounds good I think. I tune to Drop C maybe twice a year for a month or so (damn only 1 good guitar in my collection haha), so for me it isn't worth swapping the SD out.

--------------------
Guitars:
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:15 AM