Most Improving Gmc Students, Nominees, We should get better at lifting forward students
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 24 2015, 09:58 PM
GMC Founder
Following up on some great feedback by clashchords - I got an idea:

Wouldn't it be cool of we got better at regularly showcasing students on the frontpage?

I figured this could act as an extra motivational boost - if we lift forward students who have made a lot of progress (but not necessarily the "best" ones). Wouldn't it be cool if you could get some recognition for your progress long before you will get recognition for your playing? To me, becoming a great guitarist is all about staying motivated/inspired!

This could also be a great way to show guests on the site what we do at GMC.

For example we could gather nominees here, and then have a poll thread to find a winner. The winner could then get a frontpage feature and maybe also a physical prize.

What do you think about this?

Perhaps you'd like to suggest some nominees?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Phil66
Apr 24 2015, 10:38 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I was thinking this exact thing myself but for more categories.

1/ Most improved
2/ Hardest worker regardless of progress, for those who try really hard but don't progress as quickly.
3/ Most creative: The player who has come up with something really inventive in a collab.

All just thoughts for you to digest wink.gif

Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 25 2015, 10:35 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 25 2015, 10:19 AM
GMC:er
An "employee of the month" sort of approach seems best to me.

I'm not open to the idea to discuss/vote openly for everyone to see. Each instructor here can give a name to you, you check their video's and picking one based on their videos. Should be a nice surprise smile.gif

That should motivate everyone to make videos and increase the communication with their instructors. I'm guessing there are members here that never post anything until they are stuck in progressing correct?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 25 2015, 10:20 AM
Learning Tone Master
I think it's a good idea even if I believe that personal ambition matter more. But an additional boost it's always more than welcome and sometimes can make miracles.
Personally I really enjoy a lot the idea to show to the guests what we do here. I know how often people ask me about GMC and this would be a cool addition for the site and also for us as students. GMC Students Awards biggrin.gif

I don't know exactly what it means for you "maybe a physical prize" but I would like to avoid this thing from many reasons. I think putting the winner on the frontpage feature it's enough or as an additional reward I will try a different kind of prize. As an example: a video collab between winner and one of his favorite GMC instructors (available of course), possibility for the winner to choose a backing from GMC for the next collab, also maybe at the end of year a collab between winners and too many other ideas but I will stop here wink.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 25 2015, 12:05 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 25 2015, 10:20 AM) *
. As an example: a video collab between winner and one of his favorite GMC instructors (available of course), possibility for the winner to choose a backing from GMC for the next collab, also maybe at the end of year a collab between winners and too many other ideas but I will stop here wink.gif

+1
I think all of those ideas are very cool.
especially the first one, that would be pretty awesome smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Apr 25 2015, 02:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
I think it's a great idea. One thing that I'm curious about are how many students work hard here but stay away from the forums and never discuss their progress. Those students if somehow their progress is measurable. I only know the typical crowd here and my vote would go to Enlo. He seems to be at the peak of motivation and hard work. However that's an unfair bais because I really don't know his progress, just that he's killing it lately.

Your rec. program here is great because there is something to measure. So I'd suggest a using the Rec. program to measure with a few other things. Maybe make this a much bigger event.

1. The nominees could make a song or video prior to the competition.

2. Set a time period, in that time period add up the rec. points.

3. Nominee would make a last video maybe showcasing the hard work.

4. Tally the votes, maybe the winner gets a physical prize and maybe continue this by adding the "employee of the month" on the homepage every month.

This post has been edited by Jim S.: Apr 26 2015, 01:35 AM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 25 2015, 04:22 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 25 2015, 11:20 AM) *
I don't know exactly what it means for you "maybe a physical prize" but I would like to avoid this thing from many reasons. I think putting the winner on the frontpage feature it's enough or as an additional reward I will try a different kind of prize. As an example: a video collab between winner and one of his favorite GMC instructors (available of course), possibility for the winner to choose a backing from GMC for the next collab, also maybe at the end of year a collab between winners and too many other ideas but I will stop here wink.gif

Great suggestions, keep them coming!

One option would be a private skype lesson with an instructor of choice (we would obviously not be able to guarantee availability but would do our best to accommodate) - and/or collab video with me.

"GMC student awards" is a cool title btw! cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 11 2015, 01:07 PM
GMC Founder
We've got something cool in the making cool.gif watch this space tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 11 2015, 02:04 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
It's a great idea. However you decide to do it I'm sure it will be a great motivator for all students and hopefully will encourage some to come out of the shadows smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 12 2015, 05:16 AM
GMC:er
Great ideas! We could do a blind voting each month and let everyone vote. It would help to have nominees though!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 24 2015, 05:38 PM) *
I was thinking this exact thing myself but for more categories.

1/ Most improved
2/ Hardest worker regardless of progress, for those who try really hard but don't progress as quickly.
3/ Most creative: The player who has come up with something really inventive in a collab.

All just thoughts for you to digest wink.gif

Phil

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
May 12 2015, 05:48 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
That's a great idea!
I remember that we had a student of the month award for a while, some years ago...right?
It's genereally a good thing to keep people motivated.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:47 AM