2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Self Tuning Gibson Lp
RobM
Dec 3 2007, 09:44 PM
GMC:er
Gibson alonmg with Tronical GMBH (a German company) is offering new technology on their newest LP models, self tuning. That's right their newest LP models will be able to self tune in about 2 seconds. Read about it here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071203/ap_on_...f_tuning_guitar

Enjoy

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
You wish.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 3 2007, 10:11 PM
Lets go fishing!
Thanks for the article, it sure is an interesting idea!! smile.gif

For me, Im not sure if I would like it or not. It sounds really handy, but I do like a traditional guitar ! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Alucard
Dec 3 2007, 10:13 PM
http://www.gibson.com/robotguitar/

It's not nearly as expensive as I thought it would be. I was thinking somewhere from $4,000, but $2500 is cheap for something like that.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 3 2007, 11:40 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Dec 3 2007, 10:11 PM) *
Thanks for the article, it sure is an interesting idea!! smile.gif

For me, Im not sure if I would like it or not. It sounds really handy, but I do like a traditional guitar ! biggrin.gif

Also and just to be a Luddite - it doesn't do you any harm to be able to tune a guitar manually wink.gif .

By all means go with this if you want but learn to tune a guitar as well smile.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Dec 4 2007, 01:02 AM
QUOTE (Alucard @ Dec 3 2007, 09:13 PM) *
http://www.gibson.com/robotguitar/

It's not nearly as expensive as I thought it would be. I was thinking somewhere from $4,000, but $2500 is cheap for something like that.

That's kinda scary cheap for a high tech LP. Maybe a discount for the poor [fatherless guitar testers] that will be beta testing. I wonder how long before the first hotfix. biggrin.gif

I looove that blue silverburst finish. Being nitro, I wonder how that'll age.

Edited for language - Andrew

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Dec 3 2007, 10:40 PM) *
Also and just to be a Luddite - it doesn't do you any harm to be able to tune a guitar manually wink.gif .

By all means go with this if you want but learn to tune a guitar as well smile.gif .

Agreed. It does seem that there is a manual mode.

It's out of my price range either way, but this would be a great time/money saver for the gigging player that's just starting out (not a ton of cash). Wouldn't have to bring along multiple guitars for diffferent tunings...just call them up as you need them on the fly.

I wonder how practical it would be to do something like change tuning in the middle of a song.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
fkalich
Dec 4 2007, 01:12 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Dec 3 2007, 04:40 PM) *

I pretty much am happy with whatever Jimmy Page had, distortion, echo, six stings on a block of wood.

Technology is driving society mad. If something is really a serious improvement on life, such as the Microwave oven was, or Scoopable kitty litter, I go for it. Otherwise I keep it simple.

Well time go for a night hike with my dog. Where did I leave my Military Spec Alpha grade night vision scope?

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Dec 4 2007, 01:12 AM
Oh that's so funny - I wanna see the little tuning heads tune themselves!! laugh.gif
But it is practical if you play in many different tunings as I do - saves you having a host of guitars all tuned differently.

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 4 2007, 01:43 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Yeah this is a very useful technology... wink.gif Gibson rules! I would love to have this on my guitar...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Dec 4 2007, 01:49 AM
how do you tune it to drop d huh.gif

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Dec 4 2007, 03:57 AM
QUOTE (g-forcelover @ Dec 4 2007, 12:49 AM) *
how do you tune it to drop d huh.gif

One of the videos goes into that. There's a bunch of built-in tunings. Drop D was in there. Just a click away (or two). There wasn't a Drop C though.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 4 2007, 04:08 AM
Isnt this like the 8th time this has been brought up on this forum?

Haha.

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Dec 4 2007, 05:03 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Dec 4 2007, 12:12 AM) *
I pretty much am happy with whatever Jimmy Page had, distortion, echo, six stings on a block of wood.

That six strings on a block of wood was a '59 LP burst. Don't forget the doubleneck 6/12 SG. Not as complex as JPJ's Mellotrons and GX1, but not hardly just wood with strings. And they did a hell of a lot with technology in the studio.

QUOTE (fkalich @ Dec 4 2007, 12:12 AM) *
Well time go for a night hike with my dog. Where did I leave my Military Spec Alpha grade night vision scope?

Don't knock it til you've tried it. tongue.gif

While I think that just getting one of these to not have to tune your guitar is kinda sad, I think there are some interesting possibilities.

I already mentioned changing tunings in the middle of a song. Maybe not so useful going from Standard to Drop D, but possibilities open up if you switch from Standard to Open C for a solo?

What happens when you try to fret notes when its tuning itself? Probably something weird. Maybe not musically interesting, but who knows?

What if there's a way to feed the tuners different data? Have it bend certain increments (1 or 2 steps) and then back? Hands-free behind the nut love (John 5)? Or Behind the nut bends while you're fretting strings? Or make it wobble for a vibrato effect?

Technology for technology's sake is kinda lame, but creative applications of technology can make some interesting results.

--------------------

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Dec 4 2007, 09:44 AM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Dec 4 2007, 04:08 AM) *
Isnt this like the 8th time this has been brought up on this forum?

Haha.

5th time me thinks

--------------------

+Quote Post
exorcyze
Dec 4 2007, 08:36 PM
Interesting that they're touting it as the "world's first" and it's yet to be released when I remember seeing one of these 2 years ago:

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4951/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 7 2007, 09:54 PM
Instructor
It sounds interesting but I dont think it will be that big of a hit amongst guitar players. I personally don't like any kinds of "robotic" quality in my guitars. But Im sure that some people out there like that kind of stuff very much. But I prefer just basic locking tuners like Schallers smile.gif

-Toni

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 7 2007, 09:57 PM
Instructor
Does it have regular tuning? blink.gif laugh.gif wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 8 2007, 06:03 PM
Instructor
I beleive it has all kinds of tunings.

PS I too do not think that this is a handy feature because I like simplicity. It is a great invention but I am not that convinced yet... smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 9 2007, 12:45 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Imagine you play a song and do some crazy stuff on it and than when its over you don't need to annoy the audience while you get your guitar back in tune wink.gif Now if this guitar could tune itself during play (if it gets out of tune) that would be awesome feature too wink.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Dec 9 2007, 12:45 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
swingline
Dec 9 2007, 12:54 AM
It doesn't have a setting for tuning down 1/2 step, which would get on my last nerve.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Lurgen
Dec 9 2007, 12:58 AM
I think this would be a great idea, but as their first generation product there is no way I'd rely on it. Gibson might make good guitars, but that's largely because they've been doing the same thing for decades. Adding a microprocessor, a bunch of servo motors, some extra pickups (for tuning) and software could really lead to reliability problems.

That said, they're awfully cheap for what they are - $4000 Aussie Dollars isn't a whole lot more than a normal LP. Oh, and the price in the article does not include the Powertune upgrade - that's an extra $900, so you're looking at around $3400 USD for the Gibson Robot.

What I find more interesting is that Gibson will be selling upgrade kits for all sorts of guitars, not just their own. The thought of being able to fit one of these to my existing guitar without damaging it is pretty cool.

I really like the idea behind this thing. Tuning a guitar is a pain in the neck, especially when you want to change tunings. I have to keep a guitar tuned drop-D all the time, simply because I hate changing between the two tunings. This would change all of that for me.

--------------------
Guitars: Fender American Vintage 1957 Stratocaster, Fender American Highway One, Maton MS2000 Deluxe
Amps: Fender Hotrod Deluxe, Roland Cube 60, Fender Frontman 25R
Effects: Boss BD-2, OS-2, DD-20, TU-2

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:10 AM