> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Verciazghra's Articulation Drills
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 14 2013, 08:16 AM
Instructor
Hey Vince! Welcome to your very own personal thread smile.gif

In here we will discuss various ideas and I will give you tasks so that you can improve on articulation and dynamics, deal?

I am glad that out of the whole cornucopia of topics you stated in the first message you chose two exact ones - it is a first step towards defining SMART goals - please read more here biggrin.gif SMART Goals Definition

Now, to start off, I would like to ask if you have the possibility of recording videos and if you think that you would like to start building on bending and vibrato technique with this lesson right here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/bending-control/ let me know if you feel it is too difficult, k?

I would like you to focus on the following ideas:

- reach the correct pitch of each note
- vibrate equally and wide
- always use your wrist

Deal?

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Jul 15 2013, 03:00 AM
GMC:er
Sounds like a plan. I started by going through Wallimanns lesson and ended up writing a short articulation "study" which I'm uploading here. It's still the first day of practicing articulation on here so it's not perfect yet.

Thanks a lot Cosmin for your help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlFBiLs91WI

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by verciazghra: Jul 15 2013, 03:03 AM

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Jul 15 2013, 04:21 AM
Wrote a second drill type thing. Gonna practice it tomorrow and maybe record it the day after, here's the guitar pro file of it.

This post has been edited by verciazghra: Jul 15 2013, 04:22 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  articulation_drill_2.gpx ( 25.47K ) Number of downloads: 127

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 15 2013, 08:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Jul 15 2013, 02:00 AM) *
Sounds like a plan. I started by going through Wallimanns lesson and ended up writing a short articulation "study" which I'm uploading here. It's still the first day of practicing articulation on here so it's not perfect yet.

Thanks a lot Cosmin for your help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlFBiLs91WI

Anytime man - this is nice, but indeed as you said, it is still a bit shaky wink.gif Work on it a bit more and please record the Walliman version as well smile.gif ok?

QUOTE (verciazghra @ Jul 15 2013, 03:21 AM) *
Wrote a second drill type thing. Gonna practice it tomorrow and maybe record it the day after, here's the guitar pro file of it.

Please record it - you seem to be a very creative person and I like that A LOT smile.gif

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Jul 15 2013, 06:29 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 15 2013, 07:37 AM) *
Anytime man - this is nice, but indeed as you said, it is still a bit shaky wink.gif Work on it a bit more and please record the Walliman version as well smile.gif ok?

Please record it - you seem to be a very creative person and I like that A LOT smile.gif

Will do I'm still working on Wallimanns lesson, wanted to finnish it before I started trying to record it. I might upload a few more videos of articulation drills in between(things I derive from that lesson to make a new exercise from it) if that's okay? I hope to be done with Wallimanns in a couple of days.

I find that I can't practice bending for hours and hours like I can with all the other stuff, so I try to spread some of the things I have difficulty with in the walliman lesson into some other techniques. Bending really hurts my fingers after too long since I'm not used to it, the same way tapping does. So I mix it into 4x30 minute chunks during my daily 10-12 hour practices. Does that sound good?

This post has been edited by verciazghra: Jul 15 2013, 06:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 16 2013, 08:30 AM
Instructor
Hey buddy - as I said, I appreciate your creative approach a lot and I wish that everybody would be so curious and inclined to personalize things to such an extent smile.gif I am looking forward to see all the things you derive from the tasks I give you!

On the other hand - mixing things the way you do, seems to be ok, in order for you to build your finger muscles in that direction - my suggestion would be to increase the time span of the bending sessions once you become more and more comfy with the mechanism wink.gif

Tell me tho, what sort of string gauge are you using and what tuning type? This can also affect the quality of your bends - smaller tension -> less effort/ big tension -> greater effort.

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Jul 16 2013, 05:08 PM
I'm using 9's on the 6-string(EADGBE) and and 10-74(F#BEADGCF<4th tuning>/EBEADGBE<drop E>/F#BEADGBE<standard>) on the 8 string. I started bending sessions with the 8 string but my fingers got raw after 10 minutes. So I switched to the 6 string which has terrible terrible pickups and a lot of hum, bending on and vibrato on it is less pronounced. On the other hand the string tension on the 8 string is just... almost impossible to do wholestep bends on. So for now to get my fingers comfy with bending at all I'll use the 6string and only practice vibrato and smaller bends on the 8 string. I think I don't have the calluses for it yet! But with time!

I will try to increase the sessions slowly so that I'll gradually be able to do it longer and longer sessions!

Cheers!

This post has been edited by verciazghra: Jul 16 2013, 05:12 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 17 2013, 08:57 AM
Instructor
This sounds like a good approach to me man - for instance, I don't use my baritone guitar for bending at all. So I never practice bends on that one - it has 12-68 strings, which are pretty cumbersome for bends.

For me, each instrument has a purpose - the baritone is made for low range, so I use it for riffing and chords 95% of the time.

Using your 6 string is definitely the way to go here smile.gif

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Jul 23 2013, 03:25 AM
Still working on it daily getting close to a decent result. Will try to record a version of wallimans video tomorrow and possibly upload a drill I derived from it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 23 2013, 11:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Jul 23 2013, 02:25 AM) *
Still working on it daily getting close to a decent result. Will try to record a version of wallimans video tomorrow and possibly upload a drill I derived from it.

Awesome news mate! Just post them here and I'll be on it to tell you my thoughts! Godspeed!

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Jul 25 2013, 04:11 AM
Wallimanns Bending Control : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zFdr_ya_DA . I made some mistakes and my vibrato is still in need of work but I'm working on it daily. Also I have the hardest time feeling these types of licks, they just don't like me/resonate with me and the backing track is also so way off styles I enjoy playing! But here's my attempt!

This post has been edited by verciazghra: Jul 25 2013, 04:26 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 25 2013, 08:24 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif You still have work to do on the bends - they are always ALMOST reaching the intended pitch and that makes things stay out of shape unfortunately. I wanted to ask something - since this track is not that much to your liking, would you rather work on something involving articulation, but in a style more suitable to your tastes? If so, how about this one - it is more melodic and I daresay you would like it more smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The-Vo...-Your-Guitar-2/

Although this one is a bit trickier smile.gif

Let me know what your thoughts are, ok?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Jul 25 2013, 10:40 PM
YES! THIS IS MORE LIKE IT!!! I love it!

I still have to work on my bends a lot but I should really have locked my nut before recording, I switched strings 2 days ago on the 6 string and after recording the tuning had already dropped 30 cents. So not to justify my bad bends, just saying that it probably had a small impact.

I would rather work on this one!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 26 2013, 07:41 AM
Instructor
Oh, I see, well, that's one big reason why I am running away from Floyd Rose equipped guitars laugh.gif

Anyway, I am so glad you like this one smile.gif It's from an old song of mine and I am looking forward to see how you fare with it!

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Jul 27 2013, 04:02 AM
Hey cosmin, just two questions, the tone patch you're using is gorgeous, could you maybe give me a lesson on how to create such nice tones sometime?

To the real question: in the gp file it says 9th fret bending a halfstep on the g string, but in the video it really sounds like you're doing a wholestep. If it is a halfstep it's outside the key too so that's why i'm asking so i don't go learn it the wrong way! Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Jul 27 2013, 06:08 AM
Hey again! Thought I'd post a video on how my progress is going and also so I can see easily what I need to work on! This is by no means a "final" version I have lots of trouble spots that needs to be isolated, many of the bends are still a little bit flat, the octave vibrato is hazey and all the other vibrato's need work as well. Some of the dynamic articulations feel "sporadic" and uncontrolled still but this is what I have from about 3 hours work on it, my middle finger and ring finger feel like they're dying smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrwFi5Uh0Y0

Edit: I sincerely hope you don't think I'm discrediting your song by playing it so badly!!!

This post has been edited by verciazghra: Jul 27 2013, 06:15 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 27 2013, 08:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Jul 27 2013, 03:02 AM) *
Hey cosmin, just two questions, the tone patch you're using is gorgeous, could you maybe give me a lesson on how to create such nice tones sometime?

To the real question: in the gp file it says 9th fret bending a halfstep on the g string, but in the video it really sounds like you're doing a wholestep. If it is a halfstep it's outside the key too so that's why i'm asking so i don't go learn it the wrong way! Cheers

Hey man - it might be a mistake, so follow your ears smile.gif They should NEVER EVER lie to you, regarding the take, I will make a movie to develop the discussion - it's easier to talk than to write - you are on the good path anyway, even if you still have work to do with it, so don't worry - easy does it, deal? smile.gif

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Jul 27 2013, 08:35 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 27 2013, 07:16 AM) *
Hey man - it might be a mistake, so follow your ears smile.gif They should NEVER EVER lie to you, regarding the take, I will make a movie to develop the discussion - it's easier to talk than to write - you are on the good path anyway, even if you still have work to do with it, so don't worry - easy does it, deal? smile.gif

That sounds great!! I enjoy playing this a lot. Listening back to it I can't believe the B to C# bend is flat every time. Gotta work on that too!
Deal. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 28 2013, 04:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Jul 27 2013, 07:35 AM) *
That sounds great!! I enjoy playing this a lot. Listening back to it I can't believe the B to C# bend is flat every time. Gotta work on that too!
Deal. smile.gif

Thank you again man! biggrin.gif

Here we go:

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Jul 28 2013, 11:42 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 28 2013, 03:08 PM) *
Thank you again man! biggrin.gif

Here we go:

Awesome man, that's pretty cool. I made a video response to show what I'm doing for tone at the moment. That magic box of yours does look intriguing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjOKUoMXK_c

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:23 AM