Epi Tribute Les Paul Plus
Mertay
Mar 16 2016, 11:05 PM
GMC:er
Went to a guitar shop with a friend of mine (yes, yet another one of my friends who play guitar smile.gif ), he has an old korean ibanez sa160qm but always wanted a LP. I recommended him to check epi's as not only for the sound but they look identical too.

My suggestion was the plustop pro as a reasonable price option and the features are cool on it like splitting or the PU's sounding overall decent. We first tested that and he liked it, this was important as for the first time he played a LP type guitar.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics...lustop-PRO.aspx

The seller suggested a Bernie sig. PRS. It was a tad more rocker sounding, had a better looking flame top and overall comfortable as the body is slightly more rounded and the bridge is flat. Price being a little higher.

While we were considering which one to focus on, the seller was explaining the epiphone then mentioned the tribute showing the wall of epi's. We never noticed it was a different model cause the paint was exactly the same with the plustop smile.gif

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/...lus-Outfit.aspx

It was even more expensive but decided to try anyway and the moment he hold it I saw that sparkle in his eye, that was it biggrin.gif When I played it noticed the neck felt more comfortable and the sound was definitly different as the PU's are original gibson and comes with a hardcase. Turned out there was discount on that guitar (store guy was unaware till he checked the computer), the price was really good.

We also played an original gibson that had the same PU's, it didn't sound the same but I didn't feel it was much better specially considering the price. Just wanted to point out if anybodys looking or a LP type guitar, this model is worth checking out as much as the plustop model. Its like someone already modified a plustop and did a good job...

PS; now my friend is in a rush to sell the ibanez biggrin.gif I might actually buy it if we can agree on a price, he bought it used and we don't know the neck and middle PU's on it so saturday we'll open them to find out what they are.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2016, 12:51 AM
Get the Ibby! Post some pics smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 17 2016, 10:00 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 16 2016, 11:51 PM) *
Get the Ibby! Post some pics smile.gif

heheh will try smile.gif I could use your help on the pricing though;

haven't checked the serial number but I know its made between 2002-2004; http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/SA160QM

We have high tax here, and since its old and some-what rare in my area couldn't find the same or similar model used to compare priceses. What I did find used was this;

http://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/alisveris-m...256727791/detay

Which is this on wiki; http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/SA08LTD2

While it has better hardware but the wood on the chinese are noticably lower quality. It also has no maple top...so if this is 650tl (turkish lira) I'm thinking max 650-700 cause friends guitar is rediculously unused/played (hard to find a dent) and changed the PU's.

The bridge is an inf2, the middle writes dimarzio and the neck we only know its a fender. If the middle and neck PU's turn out to be American made maybe I can go a tiny bit higher.

Would such offer be fair? since he's a friend of mine I don't want to approach too aggressive + very low money is involvedso I'm not looking for a big bargain.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2016, 07:52 PM
Don't let them overcharge you!!!!! Here is a link to what those guitars have sold for on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&a...=p2045573.m1684

So the base price could be as low as sub $200. Then there are the taxes you mentioned and such so market rate where you are may be different. I have seen them go as low as $115 and high as $300 us dollars. So there is quite a range. In short, always try to start way low if possible smile.gif Then when you meet in the middle it's fair on both ends. It's a nice axe! But the key is DOES IT SPEAK TO YOU WHEN YOU PLAY IT. If you play it and it doesnt' give you the fizz, put it back on the rack!

Todd

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 17 2016, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the link!

Price range I though of (excluding country tax) is between 200-250 dolar so yeah good idea starting a bit lower smile.gif I really don't want to pass 250 but as said I'll think about it once we figure what the PU's are.

I played it a few times, feels nice specially for the money. liked the neck shape (very different compared to an rg) and it felt very light which are big plus's for me. Not a fan on middle single's but can live with it smile.gif

Never owned a guitar with singles though smile.gif I'm qurious on the long run as how it will affect my playing if I buy it...we'll see...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2016, 10:07 PM
You can always put a hot rails in the middle if you like or just pull the single out smile.gif That series has a very different neck to the RG as it's an S which started as the SABER line of ultralight guitars intended for extended stage play. They were built light so tha they didn't wear out the player during long gigs. Joe Satriani and Jennifer Batten loved the Sabre so much they helped develop it in to the S series smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 17 2016, 02:16 PM) *
Thanks for the link!

Price range I though of (excluding country tax) is between 200-250 dolar so yeah good idea starting a bit lower smile.gif I really don't want to pass 250 but as said I'll think about it once we figure what the PU's are.

I played it a few times, feels nice specially for the money. liked the neck shape (very different compared to an rg) and it felt very light which are big plus's for me. Not a fan on middle single's but can live with it smile.gif

Never owned a guitar with singles though smile.gif I'm qurious on the long run as how it will affect my playing if I buy it...we'll see...

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 21 2016, 01:18 PM
We got an independand price for the guitar and the guy also valued very similar to you. Before I said I was cool with such price my friend (owner) said he had to think about it and I said sure. Probably I'll get an answer on saturday.

After my friend left, the store owner showed me a blemished jackson js11. The guitar is new but though he didn't openly say this, the fretboard with these guitars (and many other brands that make guitars in China) is painted. I guess when he serviced the guitar, he over cleaned 2 of the fret spaces as they are very light-brown compared to the others.

Kind of ugly but he gave me a great price and I also liked the neck although its a super low-end guitar, I'm looking for a beater so that can also work for me smile.gif we'll see how things go...

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 21 2016, 02:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 22 2016, 03:40 PM
If you are looking for a beater, keep it cheap!! So you won't regret anything happening to it smile.gif If the frets are sharp, you can always
get some simple luthier tools and smooth them out a bit.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 21 2016, 07:18 AM) *
We..ed the neck although its a super low-end guitar, I'm looking for a beater so that can also work for me smile.gif we'll see how things go...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:35 AM