Question About Drop Tuning
bluelineman
Jan 22 2012, 08:58 AM
GMC:er
I own one guitar, an Ibanez with Floyd Rose tremolo. I am considering getting another guitar & making it my "drop tune" guitar. For those of you that do drop tuning in addition to standard tuning, what do you do? Would it make more sense to get the second guitar without a tremolo to make quick tuning easier? I'm thinking of a Flying V type, either Jackson or Dean. I am not interested in retuning my Floyd Rose back & forth. Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jan 22 2012, 09:51 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (bluelineman @ Jan 22 2012, 07:58 AM) *
I own one guitar, an Ibanez with Floyd Rose tremolo. I am considering getting another guitar & making it my "drop tune" guitar. For those of you that do drop tuning in addition to standard tuning, what do you do? Would it make more sense to get the second guitar without a tremolo to make quick tuning easier? I'm thinking of a Flying V type, either Jackson or Dean. I am not interested in retuning my Floyd Rose back & forth. Thanks!

I guess the biggest issue is, how much are you looking at spending? I recommend keeping a Floyd Rose equipped guitar at one tuning in order to make sure the intonation and spring tension are always perfect as well. You made a great decision by choosing to get another guitar. You can never have too many of them!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jan 22 2012, 10:40 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
It is a good idea to have a second guitar for drop tuning. Depending on how low you wanna go tuning-wise, you will have to put on much thicker strings. My main guitar is equipped with a set of 54-11 strings so I can comfortably tune one whole step down if needed, my other guitar is equipped with 70ies so I can go as low as drop A.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 22 2012, 01:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
If you want to experiment with diffrent drop tunings and string gauges then a fixed bridge guitar is the best option. It takes up too much time to set up your floyd rose everytime you change the tuning and you will wear out the screws on the tremolo too...

Oh and stay away from any Dean Guitar that was not made in either Japan or the USA, the china and korea made Dean guitars are not worth their money!!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
JD_
Jan 22 2012, 01:55 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 22 2012, 12:27 PM) *
If you want to experiment with diffrent drop tunings and string gauges then a fixed bridge guitar is the best option. It takes up too much time to set up your floyd rose everytime you change the tuning and you will wear out the screws on the tremolo too...

Agreed!

And be wary of flying V guitars....they are ok if you use the classical position wwhen sitting, but if your a guitar on the right leg guy, then I'd say stay away.

Good Luck

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 22 2012, 02:13 PM
Instructor
Hey there smile.gif I am mostly using drop tuning these days (Drop D, C and A) and I have 3 different guitars for each tuning. I totally recommend a fixed bridge guitar for drop tuning, as it'll save you a lot of effort if you will try to go from one tuning to another on the same guitar. And yes, as Jordan stated, stay away from the V shaped guitars if you are thinking of playing in the side saddle position (guitar body on the right leg)

What sort of budget are you having prepared for this new axe? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 22 2012, 04:12 PM
Instructor
Yeah, I agree with Cosmin, that's the best idea imo, to have a fixed bridge guitar and de-tune it as you want.

To de tune a floyd rose guitar can be a pain and it takes a while to adjust it properly, so yeah, how much are you considering on spending?

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 22 2012, 04:19 PM
Instructor
I also agree with Cosmin! Fixed bridges are the best choice when you want to experiment with different tunings. However if you won't change the tuning and you can buy a good guitar with a high quality floyd rose, it would be the same.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
bluelineman
Jan 23 2012, 05:14 AM
Something came up today, and it looks like I might have to wait a while to do this. But from the replies, I think I'll be best with a fixed bridge. Thanks for all the replies!!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 23 2012, 08:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bluelineman @ Jan 23 2012, 04:14 AM) *
Something came up today, and it looks like I might have to wait a while to do this. But from the replies, I think I'll be best with a fixed bridge. Thanks for all the replies!!!

Always a pleasure, mate! smile.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 23 2012, 02:53 PM
Learning Roadie
Yep, sounds like you are going with the plan I am going for. When I get a 7 string...I'm getting the fixed bridge so I can easily detune and such. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jan 23 2012, 06:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bluelineman @ Jan 22 2012, 07:58 AM) *

Hi! What tuning are you talking about? How low you want to go? Do you need to tune your guitar back to standard?
I would just get another guitar Floyd Rose can be hell when you are trying to set it up or retune your guitar!!! Just get something with a fixed bridge and save yourself a lot of trouble

+Quote Post
bluelineman
Jan 24 2012, 05:18 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jan 23 2012, 11:17 AM) *
Hi! What tuning are you talking about? How low you want to go? Do you need to tune your guitar back to standard?
I would just get another guitar Floyd Rose can be hell when you are trying to set it up or retune your guitar!!! Just get something with a fixed bridge and save yourself a lot of trouble

I use standard tuning for my Floyd Rose Ibanez. I was just thinking D, etc for metal stuff.

This post has been edited by bluelineman: Jan 24 2012, 05:21 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:29 PM