Candid Truth.
resilientguitari...
Oct 2 2008, 02:04 PM
GMC:er
hey, i want to ask the guitar community here something about guitar in a more future oriented context. I am fifteen and college is a few years away but i am very interested in trying to make a living as a guitarist *i have said so in past posts as well) However, my dad says i shud pursue academics or sports (my dad knows NOTHING about the music industry. He just keeps trying to reason that millions fail. I tell him that that is no reason why i shouldnt try) My guitar teacehr (outside of masterlcass) thinks i am good. and believes i hace a chance. I just wanted more imput from this community since u all are prettty much more experianced and primarily better players then me. You guys also have some pretty good advice. The facts are that i practice at least three to four hours a day.. every day. I have benn playing three years and am now fifteen. I want to be in a band (solo artist is also a dream biggrin.gif) i also have been writing music and lyrics for eight years and played turkish drums for five. and piano on and off for two i want to go to berklee or MI in LA. I AM good. im not bragging. im no prodigy tho... what do you guys think??? thanks for your time in reading this post btw.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by resilientguitarist: Oct 2 2008, 02:06 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Oct 2 2008, 02:08 PM
Instructor
I definately think you can do anything you want. This is no guarantee that you will be the next Steve Vai,

but....

If you focus your efforts toward your goals you can reach a level of success that you are comfortable with. There are lots of ways to make a living with guitar,...teaching...gigging....session work etc.

I say if you really want it bad enough you can do it. You have to jump in with both feet and give it your all and i say you can succeed.

Daniel

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Oct 2 2008, 02:09 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I think your dad is looking out for your best interest. At least he cares enough for you to express his opinion. It shows he cares.
I'm sure you will understand when you have a little one.

I think hes being realistic to a point. Making it in music or anything related to the "Arts" industry is like winning the lottery. I have art degree and doing nothing with it.

But when I was 15 I felt I already knew the world and what the hell does my dad know? He may not know about music but he knows about real life expierences.

But on the flip side. if your passionate about your dream. Chase it. You do not want to be where I am now wondering what could have been.

This post has been edited by opeth.db: Oct 2 2008, 02:13 PM

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
resilientguitari...
Oct 2 2008, 02:10 PM
QUOTE (Daniel Robinson @ Oct 2 2008, 02:08 PM) *
I definately think you can do anything you want. This is no guarantee that you will be the next Steve Vai,

but....

If you focus your efforts toward your goals you can reach a level of success that you are comfortable with. There are lots of ways to make a living with guitar,...teaching...gigging....session work etc.

I say if you really want it bad enough you can do it. You have to jump in with both feet and give it your all and i say you can succeed.

Daniel

thanks! Got one person that understands me. I definately want to go all for it. ill show this post to my dad biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Oct 2 2008, 02:14 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (resilientguitarist @ Oct 2 2008, 09:10 AM) *
thanks! Got one person that understands me. I definately want to go all for it. ill show this post to my dad biggrin.gif

Make sure you show him mine too wink.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 2 2008, 02:15 PM
You can make a living teaching guitar to others. Or piano for that matter.

Over the summer I did guitar lessons and was making $25 for 30 min. I taught younger kids who were just beginning. I have a lot of patience with kids so it was a good fit. Plus you neednt be a virtuoso player to be able to teach 9 yr olds.

Look for how you can make money with your abilities and make a plan for what you want. Then follow it.

Just keep your eye on how you will support yourself. And your family if you go that route.

"Making it" in the industry has several meanings.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Oct 2 2008, 02:16 PM
Instructor
I also agree with Opeth, your Dad is just looking out for you, and that seems to be a rarity these days sad.gif

You just have to be realistic with your goals, like i said. There is only a slight chance you could reach a level of noteriety where people know who you are. There are plenty of musicians who toil in obscurity. Just like alot of instructors here, some more than others (myself)

But as i said in another post, i am neither rich nor famous, but i survive on my skills as a musician. Sure sometimes money is a little tight but not enough to make me lose sleep over it. Perhaps i could have done more to become more succesful. I squandered alot of my time that could have been in pursuit of my musical dreams and thats my burden to bear now.

But i can't complain about the life i have.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
resilientguitari...
Oct 2 2008, 02:17 PM
QUOTE (resilientguitarist @ Oct 2 2008, 02:10 PM) *

biggrin.gif ya sure. sorry i was writing this reply to his post just as u wrote urs. thanks for ur adivce to tho!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 2 2008, 02:20 PM
Moderation Policy Director
We have had similar questions in the past and the balance of opinion seems to be (and you probably don't want to hear this) - go to college and get a degree. Spend that time practicing guitar and getting as good as you possibly can technically and musically. Then try for a life of music with an education under your belt to fall back on if things don't work out. With a college degree and an extra few years of practice you will still be young, yet a more balanced person and with a lot of extra musical experience - that's a great combination to take a serious shot at music.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:45 AM