pc problem - I need help...!, Just ruined my girlfriends laptop
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 29 2006, 04:08 PM
GMC Founder
Hey!

My girlfriend has a laptop with windows xp - it has not had an internet connection for over a year so I thought I'd help her install an anti-virus siftware as well as updating windows. here is what I did instead...

Somehow when windows was installing service pack 2 I managed to to reboot the computer (I was installing lots of stuff simultaneously) - I got an error message saying windows probably wouldn't function after this - and very true it didn't.

When booting the computer it just does the same thing over and over without ever getting into windows.

So what I would like to do
is just to erase everything on the computer and re-install windows (she doesn't have anything important stored on the computer luckily - such as a guitar website wink.gif ).

How do I do that? I figured I need some kind of boot cd (which I dont have) can I create that from a windows cd which I have for my computer? Help very much needed... sad.gif

Kris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tank
Dec 29 2006, 04:18 PM
GMC Veteran
If you drop in a windows CD, and start the computer up, as long as the BIOS is set to boot from CD first, (usually you can change this, your computer should say something like "Press DEL to enter setup") when you switch it on. You'll then boot from the disk. It will give you the option to format the hard drive, and install windows. It should also have a "repair an existing windows installation" feature. This will be the one to use.

However, if you can't repair, you will have to install from the CD from your desktop. However, this is very naughty, as you will be using the serial key on two machines. Therefore Bill Gates will send helicopters and tanks (not me though) around to your house. blink.gif

Any issues mate, send me a PM

/T

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 29 2006, 07:33 PM
GMC Founder
Thanks - sounds fairly easy, I'll give it a try.

Hopefully I won't get Bill after me. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
BollyRotten
Dec 30 2006, 09:42 PM
GMC:er
Thats the trouble with Xp mate. musdt be an old copy if ut does not have service pack 2 on it. I have delt with loads & loads of pc's with problems intalling sp2. As tank says booting off the bois is a far better way.
I do have dodgey copies that would work and i have a pre installation disc that could hepl you too. I will be falling over driver problems. Pm me if you want some help as i would not put information i know on this forum.
mr gates uses scare tactics that are easly work round.

I fresh format and reinstall (with sp2 included rather than installed seperately) would be a good option. Make sure you format the hard drive in NTFS and not Fat 32

bolly

--------------------
I need more fingers!

+Quote Post
PickNGrin
Dec 31 2006, 10:52 PM
How are you? Did you get it fixed?

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 1 2007, 08:38 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (PickNGrin @ Jan 1 2007, 12:52 AM) *
How are you? Did you get it fixed?

Actually haven't looked at it yet - the gmc server bug got higher priority... blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 21 2007, 07:40 PM
GMC Founder
Ok! So I have done it the Tank way reapir mode when starting with the nidows cd-rom) and it has worked fine until the dos prompt asks me for administrator password. There is no such on that computer - we have never logged in or anything when starting the computer. What should I do?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 21 2007, 07:48 PM
Kris just forget about the repair mode thing.

Boot from CD-ROM, and enter DOS. Type the following:

format C:
Press Y twice.

(Format any other drives you want empty at this point)

Wait till, it's done. Then restart your computer. Select Install Windows. Let it install from scratch you won't have that problem again where you're asked for a password. It'll just be a completely fresh install.

This post has been edited by Why: Jan 21 2007, 07:48 PM

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 21 2007, 07:49 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 21 2007, 07:40 PM) *
Ok! So I have done it the Tank way reapir mode when starting with the nidows cd-rom) and it has worked fine until the dos prompt asks me for administrator password. There is no such on that computer - we have never logged in or anything when starting the computer. What should I do?

Could be some default password like "12345" or jsut simply "admin"

Alternatively you could've accidently made an account with the name admin which as no password.. So just hit enter.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 21 2007, 07:52 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Why @ Jan 21 2007, 07:48 PM) *
Kris just forget about the repair mode thing.

Boot from CD-ROM, and enter DOS. Type the following:

format C:
Press Y twice.

(Format any other drives you want empty at this point)

Wait till, it's done. Then restart your computer. Select Install Windows. Let it install from scratch you won't have that problem again where you're asked for a password. It'll just be a completely fresh install.

The problem is that the boot disk is from another computer - so as Tank said I wont be able to install windows twice.

UPDATE: SO I just hit enter when it asked me for admin pass and I got to C:\WINDOWS\

presumably this means it's lettling me in. So my guess is to choose either fixmbr or fixboot.

However when I chose these alternatives I get warning messages which i don't fully understand (not sure if I want to proceed) - any help would be appreciated.

Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 21 2007, 07:59 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 21 2007, 07:52 PM) *
The problem is that the boot disk is from another computer - so as Tank said I wont be able to install windows twice.

UPDATE: SO I just hit enter when it asked me for admin pass and I got to C:\WINDOWS\

presumably this means it's lettling me in. So my guess is to choose either fixmbr or fixboot.

However when I chose these alternatives I get warning messages which i don't fully understand (not sure if I want to proceed) - any help would be appreciated.

Kris

The problem is that your windows is corrupted by half an installation of SP2, Your boot-disk is probably Windows XP SP1, Both aren't compatible with each other so you're repairing windows from something which will mess things up even more.

What you do with the Bootdisk is just to get into DOS to Format your C: drive, therefore windows doesn't exist. if you've got a rapidshare account let me know and I'll link you up if you have a problem and then it's simply a case of installing it. Which shouldnt be a big problem

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Jan 22 2007, 03:29 AM
Kris you did the right thing.
DONT select a password at the start and passwords are turned off by default
Add a password and they are turned on with your chosen word
unless security is a problem DONT input a password.

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:55 PM