3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
What's Your Opinion On Modern Metal Bands?
Shime
Nov 20 2010, 12:22 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 19 2010, 11:53 PM) *
I like quite a few newer/ modern bands. Revocation, Allegaeon, The Sword, Trivium, In This Moment, The Ocean, Dawn Of Ashes, Warbringer, Evile. There are many, many good ones, just they hard to find in a giant swathing ocean of mediocrity and repetition. Production is also a big issue, The same general tone is used on too many records especially in the deathcore scene, which is a genre that I honestly think only really lasted a year or two and that was five years ago. Recently, a band called Oceano came out, barely a year or so ago, and they were hailed as the heaviest band in the scene ever. Less than a few months after there were stickers on CD covers at stores that read "the heaviest band since Oceano", and I am just like WTF, they JUST released an album, you cannot refer to them in that way, it just doesn't make sense to me.

However, some bands still realize that a production with a lower volume and better dynamics and character is the better way to go (The Sword is a perfect example). Are so many musicians so damaged in the head that they don't realize they can just turn the volume up?

Ben, others,

I am old (37), heard a lot of metal since Iron Maiden, Metal Church and Metallica, a lot of repetition, but I still think there's a lot of exciting and promising talent in the present metal scene - perhaps even more than ever before. Don't know about bands like Periphery as I did not yet listen to them, but bands like Trivium and Revocation bring back that spark, the shiver... Killswitch has some very good songs, they're a kick ass live band (hell, even Megadeth live is better now than ever before!). As for progressive/tech death, take the time to listen to bands like the Faceless. They're downright interesting - uncompromising metal made into real modern music.

Shime

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Nov 20 2010, 03:29 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Modern metal music is so diverse its impossible to have one opinion on the entire genre. All I can say is this: for every trend setting band in a specific sub-genre (i.e. power metal, metalcore, etc...) there are a thousand followers, and all of those followers sound the same.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 20 2010, 05:17 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 19 2010, 01:47 PM) *
Hey there Nielzsz : ) I'll make up a top 5 for today biggrin.gif below - let me know what you think (there are MANY more :....................
this is the kind of stuff that I enjoy smile.gif

Todd here smile.gif Welcome to GMC BTW! Being from Atlanta, I'm partial to Sevendust. Gotta give those guys credit for slugging it out year after year on the festival circuit while being largely ignored by Atlanta radio. Recently, many of the "Pop" radio stations in down went bust! And some rock stations took over and they are actually playing Sevendust on the freaking radio! How cool is that?

I do enjoy some of the bands in the "New Wave of American Heavy Metal", I was in one of them for a bit. A band called GNOSTIC which was formed from bits of my old band Caustic Thought and the drummer from Atheist. Gnostic is listed in this massive reference book called "The New Wave of American Heavy Metal", we didn't know what we were until we looked ourselves up smile.gif Here's a link to it on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/New-Wave-American-He...4729&sr=8-1

and a pic
Attached Image

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 20 2010, 05:22 AM

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Nov 20 2010, 05:30 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 19 2010, 11:17 PM) *
Todd here smile.gif Welcome to GMC BTW! Being from Atlanta, I'm partial to Sevendust. Gotta give those guys credit for slugging it out year after year on the festival circuit while being largely ignored by Atlanta radio. Recently, many of the "Pop" radio stations in down went bust! And some rock stations took over and they are actually playing Sevendust on the freaking radio! How cool is that?

I do enjoy some of the bands in the "New Wave of American Heavy Metal", I was in one of them for a bit. A band called GNOSTIC which was formed from bits of my old band Caustic Thought and the drummer from Atheist. Gnostic is listed in this massive reference book called "The New Wave of American Heavy Metal", we didn't know what we were until we looked ourselves up smile.gif Here's a link to it on amazon

and a pic
[attachment=22319:nwoah_700px.jpg]

Todd

When I used to live back home in Boston, the local radio station, WAAF, used to play Sevendust ALL THE TIME. The DJ's there were big fans of the band. WAAF is the same radio station that put Godsmack on the map back around '98 I believe. Godsmack at the time only toured the New England area, and never really ventured outside that region. But two DJ's, Rocko and Birdsy (who were former strip club DJ's biggrin.gif), played their song "Stay Away" over and over again... and the rest is history. I'm surprised Sevendust never made it as big as Godsmack.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 20 2010, 11:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 20 2010, 04:17 AM) *

and a pic
Attached Image

Todd

Hey mate, well, there was a time when I was simply obsessed by Sevendust biggrin.gif I still keep listening to them and I am amazed of what tasteful equilibrium these guys have managed to create: the perfect combination - smart, groovie, soulful, aggressive and anthemic - in my opinion they are VERY underrated sad.gif

cheers Tod!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 20 2010, 03:22 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 19 2010, 08:13 PM) *

Hehe, you're dead right there with the X Factor idea. I like the fact you turn people down from the 'manufactured' world as well... extra bonus points for you !! biggrin.gif

My cats disagree though. They like the manufactured sound and keep telling me that I need to earn more money so that they can eat fish.

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 19 2010, 10:53 PM) *
... Production is also a big issue

Indeed.

Often it's not the band btw but the record company's producer who really dictates what the CD will sound like. A lot of producers don't want to take a risk and so look at what's already successful and expect the mix engineer and mastering engineer to replicate it. It's a sort of 'no one ever got sacked for buying an IBM' approach.

don't realize they can just turn the volume up?

Absolutely.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 20 2010, 04:29 PM
Instructor
I think we should call you Tony 'The Truth' Miro... the no bullshit Mastering Engineer !! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Nov 20 2010, 04:29 PM

+Quote Post
Yozshura
Nov 20 2010, 05:45 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 19 2010, 07:47 PM) *
Hey there Nielzsz : ) I'll make up a top 5 for today biggrin.gif below - let me know what you think (there are MANY more tongue.gif)

1) Tesseract - Concealing fate (part 2) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF_YIiRoRFM
2) Karnivool - Themata - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t59vYoP6LkY
3) Deftones - Diamond eyes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qksTlo_1Tpw
4) Sevendust - Enemy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlqY89pkqn4
5) Periphery - Flight of Icarus - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qCNAtj7PHQ

Wow! ohmy.gif Just heard about Sevendust, but never really checked 'em out, but I see I have too, really nice!

+Quote Post
Nielzsz
Nov 20 2010, 05:50 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 19 2010, 07:47 PM) *
Hey there Nielzsz : ) I'll make up a top 5 for today biggrin.gif below - let me know what you think (there are MANY more tongue.gif)

1) Tesseract - Concealing fate (part 2) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF_YIiRoRFM
2) Karnivool - Themata - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t59vYoP6LkY
3) Deftones - Diamond eyes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qksTlo_1Tpw
4) Sevendust - Enemy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlqY89pkqn4
5) Periphery - Flight of Icarus - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qCNAtj7PHQ

Soryy for my late reaction! Are these bands all in the metal core genre? ( i thought not smile.gif ) but i do like some of these songs, althought some are missing some 'spice' in it wink.gif
I will start whit number 5
5. Really liked the timing of these guys! and there headbang factor smile.gif

4. a little to sweet for me, i will check out their other songs.

3.Better then 4, but i really missed some lead over the rythem guitar. But liked his voice though.

2.Really awesome intro! The power stays in this song the whole time. I really liked the violins in the middle, made it really beautifull! Steve vai also used some brilliant violins in his song 'and now we run'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ7vyFnLvjw...feature=related

1.On the first sight, the song sounds really simple and boring. But when i really listened, i could here how much emotion was in this song. I think its really depents on the moment, wether i like this song or not, but its defenetly no commercial crap! smile.gif

Well, if you have any more great songs for me, you know were to find me smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 20 2010, 06:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nielzsz @ Nov 20 2010, 04:50 PM) *
Soryy for my late reaction! Are these bands all in the metal core genre? ( i thought not smile.gif ) but i do like some of these songs, althought some are missing some 'spice' in it wink.gif
I will start whit number 5
5. Really liked the timing of these guys! and there headbang factor smile.gif

4. a little to sweet for me, i will check out their other songs.

3.Better then 4, but i really missed some lead over the rythem guitar. But liked his voice though.

2.Really awesome intro! The power stays in this song the whole time. I really liked the violins in the middle, made it really beautifull! Steve vai also used some brilliant violins in his song 'and now we run'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ7vyFnLvjw...feature=related

1.On the first sight, the song sounds really simple and boring. But when i really listened, i could here how much emotion was in this song. I think its really depents on the moment, wether i like this song or not, but its defenetly no commercial crap! smile.gif

Well, if you have any more great songs for me, you know were to find me smile.gif

I'm glad you appreciate the music biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I'll post topics on modern metal a lot smile.gif)) and I'm also preparing lessons in this field, in the style of the guys with the headbanging factor wink.gif stay tuned biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Yozshura @ Nov 20 2010, 04:45 PM) *
Wow! ohmy.gif Just heard about Sevendust, but never really checked 'em out, but I see I have too, really nice!

Way too underrated for their awesomeness - their guitarist Clint, also played in a super band called Dark New Day. Check out sevendust's drummer...HE IS AN ANIMAL smile.gif)) he has THAT kind of energy which every rock drummer should have!!! WORD

+Quote Post
Yozshura
Nov 20 2010, 09:40 PM
I must say they are way too underrated yes! Their drummer is just awesome to watch while he is playing! He got an awesome playstyle that is pretty rare! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 20 2010, 10:54 PM
Instructor
AMAZING Topic! I really like this topic because I'm discovering some awesome bands that I didn't know before. Karnivool's video blew my mind! I have to search more music from them. Keep on sharing great music Cosmin! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 21 2010, 12:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 20 2010, 09:54 PM) *
AMAZING Topic! I really like this topic because I'm discovering some awesome bands that I didn't know before. Karnivool's video blew my mind! I have to search more music from them. Keep on sharing great music Cosmin! smile.gif

Thank you! I sure will biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 21 2010, 12:36 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 20 2010, 03:29 PM) *
I think we should call you Tony 'The Truth' Miro... the no bullshit Mastering Engineer !! smile.gif

laugh.gif

I actually try to be supportive and diplomatic when it's a client.

But for others... wink.gif

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 21 2010, 03:38 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
http://theinterbeing.bandcamp.com/

Debut album coming out soon, this is why I still love modern music, and I love the production as well, guitars, snare, vocals everything fit very well into the mix.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 21 2010, 05:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 21 2010, 02:38 PM) *
http://theinterbeing.bandcamp.com/

Debut album coming out soon, this is why I still love modern music, and I love the production as well, guitars, snare, vocals everything fit very well into the mix.

They sound great! I feel a slight need for more singing, but overall, they rock biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Quibanez
Nov 21 2010, 10:28 PM
I totally agree with Ben Higgins...

Also in Belgium at my age (16) metalcore, beatdown, deathcore... is becoming very popular, and sometimes, I like this music!
But there are so many new bands, all doing the same thing huh.gif as this Ultimate-Guitar user said;

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 22 2010, 10:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Quibanez @ Nov 21 2010, 09:28 PM) *
I totally agree with Ben Higgins...

Also in Belgium at my age (16) metalcore, beatdown, deathcore... is becoming very popular, and sometimes, I like this music!
But there are so many new bands, all doing the same thing huh.gif as this Ultimate-Guitar user said;

Attached Image

: ) every beautiful garden has its dry leaves ; )
pick what's really great and ignore the rest

cheers!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 22 2010, 06:58 PM
Instructor
I'm not into those bands at all I must say, but I've checked some of the bands that my metalhead friends recommended, and they do sound interesting. Bands like Gojira, Lamb of God, and Meshuggah are sounding interesting. Not sure where they belong in those genres, I guess they are all progressive one way or another. Here are some of my favorites, all based on what others played me, and what I've found later on YT because of these recommendations:

New modern metal bands sound very much alike. Everything is over compressed and sampled, so the link between the sound on the instrument/vocalist and the sound that comes out of the speaker (wetter it is live or studio recording) is becoming weaker and weaker. I've heard Behemoth live, and their drummer is using triggered samples that sound perfect, no mistakes at all. This does open up lots of possibilities for new kinds of sounds and effects, but often bands lack to use it, and just follow the trends.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 22 2010, 11:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 22 2010, 05:58 PM) *
I'm not into those bands at all I must say, but I've checked some of the bands that my metalhead friends recommended, and they do sound interesting. Bands like Gojira, Lamb of God, and Meshuggah are sounding interesting. Not sure where they belong in those genres, I guess they are all progressive one way or another. Here are some of my favorites, all based on what others played me, and what I've found later on YT because of these recommendations:

New modern metal bands sound very much alike. Everything is over compressed and sampled, so the link between the sound on the instrument/vocalist and the sound that comes out of the speaker (wetter it is live or studio recording) is becoming weaker and weaker. I've heard Behemoth live, and their drummer is using triggered samples that sound perfect, no mistakes at all. This does open up lots of possibilities for new kinds of sounds and effects, but often bands lack to use it, and just follow the trends.

Hey there Ivan,

well, I must admit that Meshuggah is a hell of a band, although in my opinion even if they lack the melody, their rythmic concepts are very very interesting. Mr Fredrik Thordendal has got some insane chops if u ask me, and all the guys in the band do, but their level of conception as a band, is actually the interesting thing. Keep listening to this kind of stuff, you never know what you might find biggrin.gif

cheers!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:06 AM