Vibrato
GrowingDown1
Jan 13 2008, 07:44 PM
GMC:er
Hi Luciana!
My question for you is regarding vibrato. I play guitar and sing in two bands and I have a pretty decent rock and roll style voice. The problem is that I am limited to songs which require only that. If I have to hold notes or long passages I just fall apart. I would love to be able to sing as well as Myles Kennedy from Alter Bridge. I need to work on my vibrato to put some emphasis on longer notes and passages. Can you give me any advice on vibrato and how to practice it?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars
PRS Custom 22
ESP EC 1000 Deluxe
Takamine EF341C
Ibanez Soundgear Bass

Effects
Zoom 7.1UT
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Facory
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Boss GT2 Chromatic Tuner
Boss BF-3 Flanger

Amp
Hughes and Kettner Warp 7 half Stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
AudunESP
Jan 14 2008, 08:27 PM
GMC:er
hmm, luciana seems pretty much away mellow.gif

but if you accept MY help i can help you.
Im not a mega-vocalist myself, but i can tell you what i've bin teached, and what im learning right now. i've learned this from Eric Arcaneaux.
the basic foundation of vibrato is beeing fully relaxed, and that is often in the same line as breathing correctly, with your whole chest.
i think your main problem might be that you strain your throat too much, since you have problems keeping a long tone too.
Well, "not too much" means that straining a little doesn't kill the vibrato, but best would be not to strain it at all! but that takes time, so straining in the beginning i think its normal.
What helps perfectly, especially for me, is doing breathing excersises, breathing in the low at the hips, in the middle, and in the chest, all at once(...i think).

What helps, especially for me, gained much progression to my vibratos this way, is doing breathing exercises. Eric arcaneaux have some pretty neat onse that really help, actually pretty much at first time you do it, and understands the whole thing.

to Ads/moderators and/or luciana: am i aloud to post a link to a lesson video of eric arcaneaux?

to luciana: correct me if im totaly wrong, ok?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by AudunESP: Jan 14 2008, 08:29 PM

--------------------
Scales = some boring stuff thats totally unnescesary to create cool music, liek, if ur stupid.

+Quote Post
Luciana Segovia
Jan 23 2008, 05:22 AM
Singing Instructor
Hi!!!! I'm Back!

I want to sing like Myles Kennedy from Alter Bridge too! hahaha WOW! what voice! tongue.gif

It's totaly right what AudunESP said. But, It's easier to take this two difficulties separate. I think That the Vibrato and the long passages are things must learn one by one. Yes! It's all about breathing but.. you have to focus in one thing first.

I think that maybe you don't realize the deep breathings adequately. Because for the long passages it's very important to have a real control of you diaphagm.

I've been playing the song of Alter Bridge, "Find the Real" with my band in our rehearsals and I think it's very dificult song! including that I'm a singing teacher. unsure.gif

Try to begin with a song, band or singer easier . And concentrate in the long passages. Learn to be a thrifty person with your air, when you are singing . At any point during singing a sustained phrase, you must be using the minimum amout of breath necessary and you must also support the pressure of its escape.
You can practice breathing exercices and take note of the time of inhale and exhale. Every day has to increase your capacity up to coming to the maximum.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:32 PM