Health Warning, do we need one?
Dejan Farkas
Dec 16 2007, 05:36 PM
Instructor
Recently we have some people complaining on certain problems and pain while they practice, and I think that we could create the Health Warning and to insert it on some visible place. Before they start law suits against GMC for having so many amazing lessons, so they injure themselves while attempting to learn them unsure.gif biggrin.gif

Generally, to explain what injuries or disorders may appear, what to do when they appear, etc.

I found one sample Health Warning for Microsoft keyboard and mouse:
Use of a keyboard or mouse may be linked to serious injuries or disorders.
When using a computer, as with many activities, you may experience occasional discomfort in your hands,
arms, shoulders, neck, or other parts of your body. However, if you experience symptoms such as persistent
or recurring discomfort, pain, throbbing, aching, tingling, numbness, burning sensation, or stiffness, DO
NOT IGNORE THESE WARNING SIGNS. PROMPTLY SEE A QUALIFIED HEALTH PROFESSIONAL, even
if symptoms occur when you are not working at your computer. Symptoms like these can be associated
with painful and sometimes permanently disabling injuries or disorders of the nerves, muscles, tendons, or
other parts of the body. These musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) include carpal tunnel syndrome, tendonitis,
tenosynovitis, and other conditions.
While researchers are not yet able to answer many questions about MSDs, there is general agreement that many
factors may be linked to their occurrence, including: overall health, stress and how one copes with it, medical
and physical conditions, and how a person positions and uses his or her body during work and other activities
(including use of a keyboard or mouse). The amount of time a person performs an activity may also be a factor.
Some guidelines that may help you work more comfortably with your computer and possibly reduce your risk of
experiencing an MSD can be found in the “Healthy Computing Guide” installed with this device’s software. If this
device did not come with software, see the “Healthy Computing Guide” section of the “Getting Started” manual.
You can also access the “Healthy Computing Guide” at www.microsoft.com/hardware or (in the United States
only) by calling 1 (800) 360-7561 to request a CD at no charge.
If you have questions about how your own lifestyle, activities, or medical or physical condition may be related
to MSDs, see a qualified health professional.

So, what do you guys think about this? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 16 2007, 06:58 PM
Instructor
Good idea! I sometimes have pain in my back after sitting in front of PC for a long period of time. A good sleep usually helps wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 16 2007, 07:18 PM
Instructor
Good thing you mentioned that Dejan, although we do point out quite often how practising and playing can get to serious injuries.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 16 2007, 08:23 PM
Instructor
Spot on Dejan,thanks for bringing it! smile.gif
Truth is, I haven't got injured by playing or practicing ever
but I got injures few times during sleep blink.gif
I twist my wrist sooo bad,it hurts whole next day,hurts a lot!!
And PC kills for sure,must find proper this announcement smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 17 2007, 01:36 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think that this is important subject but we instructors make clear that in our lessons and forum all the time..And warnings like that can get little boring to people...I'm speaking from my perspective - I don't like health warnings on everything wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Dec 17 2007, 01:41 PM
Instructor
Thank you all for the feedback smile.gif

It doesn't have to be the warning, maybe to make a kind of advice, or recomendation..

I know that we always stress this issue in the lessons and forum, but it may be usefull if we compile all our experiences in one place smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 18 2007, 08:37 PM
Instructor
Yes, great idea Dejan! these kinds of problems are I think common amongst guitar players, I too sometimes have a little ache in my wrists after playing the guitar smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 19 2007, 12:26 PM
GMC Founder
Yes it's a good idea! smile.gif

Perhaps a sticky somewhere in the forum?

Does anybody want to put this warning together? We could have a list of gmc instructors agreeing/signing at the end of the text - to show people that this is serious (some just argue "hey it's rock n roll - I don't need to be careful")

I had a guitar injury which prevented me to practice seriously for 6 months. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 19 2007, 02:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 19 2007, 12:26 PM) *
Yes it's a good idea! smile.gif

Perhaps a sticky somewhere in the forum?

Does anybody want to put this warning together? We could have a list of gmc instructors agreeing/signing at the end of the text - to show people that this is serious (some just argue "hey it's rock n roll - I don't need to be careful")

I had a guitar injury which prevented me to practice seriously for 6 months. sad.gif

I'll sign it up,no worries biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:19 PM