2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Standing Vs. Sitting
Kizaze44
Jul 21 2008, 11:10 PM
GMC:er
Hey there,
Wondering if anyone else has this problem: I usually practice sitting down. I find it easier to concentrate, for one thing. Then when I go to a jam my playing gets worse. I know the simple answer - practice standing up, dummy! But which way to you all practice? If you play gigs, or jam with friends, do your practice time include standing?

-Kiz

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jul 21 2008, 11:17 PM
the best way i think is just to wear your guitar where it is comfortable while playing, if you have troubles playing standing its because your guitar is too low, just raise the strap a bit, when i practice, i sit but i have my strap on and the guitar usually hovers above my legs, that way when i stand its inexactly the same position, either that or just stand alot while practicing and get used to bending your wrists more under the fretboard. Perhaps spend some time while warming up(chromatic scales and stuff) to do them walking around or at least standing to improve the wrist motion a bit everytime.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
vintageplaya666
Jul 21 2008, 11:18 PM
At home I always practise sitting down, If you know you're guitar very well you should have no problem playing standing up. Also, when I'm standing up, I dont have the guitar stupidly low, I have mine just below my chest. So then its just like playing sitting down. In my opinion anyways.

--------------------

Signature Made By Spleeny

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift "

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 21 2008, 11:18 PM
Instructor
I practice sitting all the time ohmy.gif
but luckily I play lots of gigs so
that's like standing and practicing as well. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Jul 21 2008, 11:19 PM
Muris,

Is there a big difference in your playing - standing vs. sitting?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 21 2008, 11:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Jul 22 2008, 12:19 AM) *
Muris,

Is there a big difference in your playing - standing vs. sitting?

Not too much,I change hight a bit with the strap here and there,
depends of what am I playing for the gig. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Jul 21 2008, 11:25 PM
I always practice sitting, but i have noticed that when i play standing I dont play as well... It just seems weird playing standing and more natural for me to play sitting... For one thing I see the neck of the guitar differently when sitting... when standing all i see is the dots and it kinda throws my playing off

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tryton
Jul 22 2008, 02:14 AM
I have the exact same issue as you... except...

I usually separate learning from practice,

I practice standing up...

and learn sitting down, does that make sense...

huh.gif

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Jul 22 2008, 03:56 AM
QUOTE (Tryton @ Jul 22 2008, 02:14 AM) *
I have the exact same issue as you... except...

I usually separate learning from practice,

I practice standing up...

and learn sitting down, does that make sense...

huh.gif

It makes sense, so you learn exercises and songs sitting, then you practice them standing up?

I should practice more standing up, because I'm really into stoner metal, and I've grown accustomed to playing a lot at the 12th fret area on the E, A, and D strings, and that's tricky while standing up for me, I don't really have long fingers, so I have problems reaching for notes on the low strings high up, but I have big palms, so I tend to wrap my thumb around the neck alot. I think I just need to practice standing alot, and work out some of the problems I have.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
swingline
Jul 22 2008, 04:28 AM
I always practice sitting because its more comfortable to me but I play just as well both ways. When I play standing up the guitar is at about the same level as if I was sitting, it doesn't look as cool but I'd rather play good any day than look cool. biggrin.gif

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Jul 22 2008, 04:31 AM
the way i sit practicing, the neck of the guitar is almost standing straight up on my left leg.. kinda like one of the baddest guitarist ever did... when i saw pictures like this i started playing like that... only im no randy rhodes, so i cant play standing up or sitting down like him... lol
so when i stand up the neck slides down to an uncomfortable position, one im not used to

This post has been edited by Outlaw2112: Jul 22 2008, 04:33 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 22 2008, 11:12 AM
Instructor
The main goal is to feel comfortable while practicing, no matter how you do it. When standing you change the position a little, but if you play a lot of gigs, or studio rehearsals, it shouldn't be a problem. If you don't play it too much, consider practicing some exercises while standing, it won't do you harm anyway.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 22 2008, 02:18 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well before I was practicing standing much more than sitting down..It was more comfortable for me and fun...Now it is half-half (sitting-standing practice time for me).

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 22 2008, 03:20 PM
QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Jul 22 2008, 12:10 AM) *
Hey there,
Wondering if anyone else has this problem: I usually practice sitting down. I find it easier to concentrate, for one thing. Then when I go to a jam my playing gets worse. I know the simple answer - practice standing up, dummy! But which way to you all practice? If you play gigs, or jam with friends, do your practice time include standing?

-Kiz

I have my guitar in same hight when I sit.

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Jul 22 2008, 08:52 PM
Learning Roadie
i usually sit down while learning a lesson..
after a short while my back begins to hurt because i sit in a stupid way.. i sit this way because i have yet to find a proper way to sit with my flying-V guitar.. sad.gif

well.. actually today i practiced some scales for 45 minutes (sitting).. and after that i went back to a lesson i've done before and did this standing.. and finally rounding the practice schedule of with a bit of improvising over a song (also standing).. mostly i think i stand because i cant sit properly with my guitar, but i'll know once i get myself a new guitar..

+Quote Post
superize
Jul 22 2008, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I mostly play sitting when practicing. It feels wierd when i trie to play standing. It feels as i want to have the guitar lower when playing standing.

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Canis
Jul 22 2008, 09:04 PM
Learning Rock Star
I rarely play standing up... During my guitar "career", I've problaby spent 97% of the time sitting tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jul 22 2008, 10:09 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
i always practice whilst sitting, for band rehearsals/gigs I`ve never had a problem when standing I think its mainly about finding a comfortable height whilst standing. If high works for you then go for it smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jul 22 2008, 10:25 PM
Lots of pros have their guitar up high when standing, so no problems! wink.gif
It depends on both your guitar and your physical build.

To me it looks sortof weird if someone played a Flying V or a Les Paul up high. tongue.gif

But it looks cool when Petrucci or Satch play on their instruments high, or when Page or Slash or Zakk play low.

If you're comfortable, it looks cool. I guess! smile.gif

I usually sit when practicing, but I have no problems playing standing up. I used to gig once. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Jul 22 2008, 11:14 PM
Practice seriously sitting down, like your warmups, scales, etc.... WORK sitting down. JAM and play to songs standing up, ROCK OUT and make it fun! smile.gif You'll get both ways down that way smile.gif I like to rock out in my bedroom with my stereo really loud, reminds me why I started playing in the first place, and you won't realize it, but your actually practicing for when you play live. Going nuts, and rocking out is much easier after running through it in your room smile.gif

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:23 PM