Protection!
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 10 2008, 03:01 AM
Singing Instructor
Hi...I am interested how the system of protectiong songs,lyrics..etc workes in your countries....do they pay up if you legally protected your property(playd your song on the radio,tv)......or...if some one steals your rif,melody,lyrics...how the authorityes deals with that?

As always I wil start:)

In Serbia it is very complicated and frustrating thing if you wanna to have a fer deal...organization that protect art(music and lyrics,arr...etc)and that shoud pay you monny for your work beaing on the air(tv; radio) does not do their job well....Only the "bigest" stars are geting payd....and big monny too.......considering copying and songs and stealing lyrics...by the law it is alowed takts of song...buit folk "singers" here just coppy the whole song(Greace,Bulgarian,Macedonian,Turkeys....etc) and just put the other "lyrics"...no body is responsiblle for that and no body take any actions...that may be the thing that we are small country and no body think that any thing big could come of it......

so I am interested how does it work in y6our country....smile.gif

thanks...

Nemanja

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 10 2008, 10:51 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I think there are several ways to do this in the UK Nemanja. The systems I've used in the past are:

1) leave it to the manager, lawyer and record company to sort out if you have a contract.

2) If you don't then you need to a) establish that you are the originator of the work. In the past I've done this one of two ways:

i - by sending the mastered recording to myself by Recorded Delivery (postal service that verifies the date and time that you post and receive the item). On receipt locking the thing away some where safe without opening it. This isn't ideal and can be easily challenged in a court of law and has another issue which I'll come on to.

ii) by being a member of a PRS association and sending and registering the work with them. (System my wife and I use now.) Largest PRS that I know of is the MCPS-PRS. I think that they also include the ISO equivalent of a ISBN/ISNN (the bar code you get on books that contains their copyright and identification) called an ISWC in the registration. MCPS is international so may cover your region as well - although I don't know for sure.

Now there is the an International grouping of Rights Societies (the CISCA) who might have a web page.

cool.gif Second - collect your performance rights. This includes your rights to payment for radio and tv broadcast, use in jingles, use in adverts, use in marketing, sampled use of your material (with and without permission), ownership of the music score and/or lyrics, educational use, use by individuals vs large organisations. A PRS (as mentioned above) should do this automatically and you will be paid automatically - albeit the money they collect is - in my experience - assigned to the originators based on the information they receive from the user/broadcaster. (Radio stations for instance will provide playlists to a PRS).

So PRS membership also has the advantage that the Performance Rights (ie any time your registered music is aired/used) is collected and distributed to the originator by the Society. Saves you the hassle. Sending your work to yourself (as in i) above) still leaves you with the problem of collecting and enforcing your PR - which sounds like the issue you have here.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tony

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 10 2008, 04:49 PM
Singing Instructor
thanks Tony for the great expelnation...I am iterested how much are they paying your paymant rights per minute on the air....cuse here price is very small..and we hade an incident last yera or the year before....one of the moust popular artist did not get the monny he deservd...think they own him a bout 100.000 e..so hi got in to the fight(fisical)with the main people in the organisation...well all I can say that latter he both(Rupert's Neve) Amek 9098i smile.gif....
any way,hove much do they pay per minute?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 11 2008, 12:54 AM
Instructor
Prices for TV broadcatsing are much more bigger than radio here

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Mar 11 2008, 12:54 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 11 2008, 01:32 AM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Mar 11 2008, 12:54 AM) *
Prices for TV broadcatsing are much more bigger than radio here

yeah expetialy if it is live......but we where on tv and live as well... we did not get anything for that..... mad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Mar 11 2008, 01:46 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Nemanja @ Mar 11 2008, 02:32 AM) *
yeah expetialy if it is live......but we where on tv and live as well... we did not get anything for that..... mad.gif

Wow... I don't know much about this, but all the things you said sounds like their just kicking you in the head and not respecting the rising musicians... not good mad.gif

This post has been edited by Tuubsu: Mar 11 2008, 01:47 AM

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 11 2008, 04:00 AM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Tuubsu @ Mar 11 2008, 01:46 AM) *
Wow... I don't know much about this, but all the things you said sounds like their just kicking you in the head and not respecting the rising musicians... not good mad.gif

you are right...you first have to break trough the croud,and pruve your self in every posiblle way,and only then this kind of organizations will take you in consider..sad but truth..... sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 11 2008, 10:27 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Hi Nemanja,
the costs are related to how much work you register and the level/type of your membership. Very basic membership of PRS for an individual is about 140Euros per annum. Basic membership of the MCPS-PRS is - I think - a minimum of 35Euros per quarter (or 140Euros per year) or 5% of the royalties collected per month - whichever is greater. The 5% btw varies according to the type of music royalty collected. One thing - MCPS won't pay a royalty until the monthly credit exceeds a set amount - think it's currently about 40 euros.

The fee that my wife and I pay is somewhat different (and harder to unravel) as we're registered as a business and use it both to collect and distribute royalties. (We 'distribute' as we also use some pre-recorded materials in the radio productions that we have produced/managed and also are/have been involved in radio broadcast to air.) It gets even more complicated as some of our work is done on behalf of other organisations from whom we then recoup our cost - and as we use some pre-recorded and some original music in some works we can end up paying royalties and receiving them laugh.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 11 2008, 11:23 AM
Singing Instructor
thanks Tony for the ansvwer...as I hurd,1 min brodcast on the BBS rasdio is a bout 300$...and not their main station,but BBC 5 or 6..hope some body from the UK can confirm that or say the wright amount...thanks guys..smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:37 AM