Overdrive!
mattacuk
Jun 2 2007, 01:32 PM
Lets go fishing!
Ok, so I was playing a lead solo with my live teacher today and i have to say, it sounded great. I played through a really old beat up Orange amp, with Overdrive. The sound really rocked, and it sounded alot different from when i run my BOSS MD-2 Distortion pedal (which i love) through my roland Cube 60 watt amp.

Is there any way i can get a similair sound through my current setup? Maybe i would benifit from an Overdrive pedal. If so , what model? Whats the Ibanez Tube screamer all about?

thanks! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 3 2007, 12:15 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
The Ibanez Tubescreamer is an overdrive.

I just went for a cheap model for myself, the Digitech Bad Monkey and I'm surprised how great it sounds.

Marshall has a pedal that works as either overdrive or distortion and it's supposed to be real good. Can't recall the name of it, G'vnor maybe?

EDIT: I've only run it through a couple, three different tube amps. It's supposed to push the tubes a bit harder so I don't really see the use for it with a solid state amp. Never tried it for that matter but my guess is that if will in fact affect the sound, but it won't be warm fuzzy and lovable tube like if you know what I mean. I belive the overdrive sound will be kind of flat.
I'm pretty sure you can get the same effect on a solid state amp with your distortion pedal and just a tad gain.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jun 3 2007, 12:26 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 3 2007, 02:49 AM
Instructor
Hi Matt! you could get the SRV sound (for example) with the Ibanez Tubescreamer. I think that Boss Overdrive pedal is great and there is also a pedal called Jekyll & Hyde that is a 2x1 one pedal. You have a distrortion and an overdrive pedal in this pedal. The overdrive sound simulates the Ibanez Tubescreamer's sound.

gabriel

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 3 2007, 04:46 AM
GMC:er
whats the difference between..overdrive, and distortion???..sorry newbie here when it comes to these types of things..though im learning quickly biggrin.gif

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
beebo
Jun 3 2007, 06:00 AM
GMC:er
I recommend my pedal! I love my distortion pedal and I PROMISE you will NOT be a SAD CAMPER!
here is a pic
http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/MJH1.htm it's just so much better in person when u see it and it takes a litte to get use to but you'll love it and also a secret
*this will only work if ur amp has distortion built in or u can turn distortion on somehow on ur amp*
ok all u have to do it.....TURN THE AMP DISTORTION ON......that's it
and then hook up the Jackhammer, fiddle around get the feel of the pedal and I can NOT explain how much this pedal has helped me!
ENJOY and Please tell me what u think!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 3 2007, 01:01 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 3 2007, 02:49 AM) *
Hi Matt! you could get the SRV sound (for example) with the Ibanez Tubescreamer. I think that Boss Overdrive pedal is great and there is also a pedal called Jekyll & Hyde that is a 2x1 one pedal. You have a distrortion and an overdrive pedal in this pedal. The overdrive sound simulates the Ibanez Tubescreamer's sound.

gabriel

hey Gabriel! biggrin.gif

That sounds a good pedal. My friend recommended this just last night...

Twintube Preamp

http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=EG01555

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6X-AVfVGUk

My current setup, Roland Cube 60, Boss MD-2, Boss DD-3 , i just cant get the tone i want. Ive tried!!!

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Jun 3 2007, 01:02 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Jun 3 2007, 01:18 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jun 3 2007, 01:01 PM) *
hey Gabriel! biggrin.gif

That sounds a good pedal. My friend recommended this just last night...

Twintube Preamp

http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=EG01555

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6X-AVfVGUk

My current setup, Roland Cube 60, Boss MD-2, Boss DD-3 , i just cant get the tone i want. Ive tried!!!

Hey MattUK,

I think a valve preamp thing is what your after much like you suggestion above.

However, i have a Maxon 'ROD 881' real overdrive/distortion.

Its valve and it has some stunning creamy smooth tones.

I guess it would be great for metal too, because its got the overdrive/distortion switch, it goes from a Robben ford light drive to a ynqwie crunch, and im not kidding!!

heres a link:

http://www.maxonfx.com/realtube/rod881/

It should have sound clips too.

Bear in mind that it is expemsive, about £160 i think, but it is so versatile ive disowned my other pedals for now!

Ben

This post has been edited by benhowell: Jun 3 2007, 01:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 3 2007, 02:07 PM
QUOTE (benhowell @ Jun 3 2007, 02:18 PM) *
Hey MattUK,

I think a valve preamp thing is what your after much like you suggestion above.

However, i have a Maxon 'ROD 881' real overdrive/distortion.

Its valve and it has some stunning creamy smooth tones.

I guess it would be great for metal too, because its got the overdrive/distortion switch, it goes from a Robben ford light drive to a ynqwie crunch, and im not kidding!!

heres a link:

http://www.maxonfx.com/realtube/rod881/

It should have sound clips too.

Bear in mind that it is expemsive, about £160 i think, but it is so versatile ive disowned my other pedals for now!

Ben

Wheew!! Judging from the sound clips that pedal really rocks.

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Jun 3 2007, 04:34 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 3 2007, 02:07 PM) *
Wheew!! Judging from the sound clips that pedal really rocks.

Hey MickeM,

Yes, it truly does!

Like you know im more of a jazzer/fusion guitarist, and it does that very well (with a good tube amp), but it can do metal very well aswell because of the quality of the overdrive.

Funnily enough, i dont think the clips show the pedal off that well, but they do sound good.

Ben

This post has been edited by benhowell: Jun 3 2007, 04:34 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 3 2007, 05:08 PM
Lets go fishing!
Thanks for all the info guys, I really think im sold on that Twintube pedal ! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 3 2007, 06:10 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jun 3 2007, 06:08 PM) *
Thanks for all the info guys, I really think im sold on that Twintube pedal ! biggrin.gif

If that's what you're looking for check these out aswell H&K
The Tube factor and Tubeman MKII

The tubeman MKII has a Redbox (amp simulator)!!! I belive Kris use that for his one on one recordings to record his amp.

I guess the Tube factor goes better as adding tube sparkels and the tubeman as a preamp, you'd have to try such a thing if it's better in the line in or in the effects loop. Tubeman can go straight to a mixer or even your soundcard if it can handle it.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 3 2007, 11:32 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 3 2007, 06:10 PM) *
If that's what you're looking for check these out aswell H&K
The Tube factor and Tubeman MKII

The tubeman MKII has a Redbox (amp simulator)!!! I belive Kris use that for his one on one recordings to record his amp.

I guess the Tube factor goes better as adding tube sparkels and the tubeman as a preamp, you'd have to try such a thing if it's better in the line in or in the effects loop. Tubeman can go straight to a mixer or even your soundcard if it can handle it.

That looks pretty kick ass too!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:19 PM