2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Building My Own Effect!
kjutte
Nov 21 2008, 11:09 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Nov 21 2008, 06:20 PM) *
I did some soldering, but just tiny bits tongue.gif ATM I have a better solder iron 30W. Does anyone know why the solder always get's on my solder tip and not on the copper??

Yes, you need acid to wipe away fat. You should dip the wire and the tin thread in acid first.
Also you gotta make the connection so fast that the acid doesn't burn.

If you do, you gotta suck off the old tin and start all over.
You've used WAY too much tin on your plate, so I recommend sucking it all out and starting from scratch.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 22 2008, 11:03 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kjutte @ Nov 21 2008, 11:09 PM) *
Yes, you need acid to wipe away fat. You should dip the wire and the tin thread in acid first.

You've used WAY too much tin on your plate, so I recommend sucking it all out and starting from scratch.

I'm probably going to heat the solder, take out the component and do that with every component wink.gif then I can make a new plate and start all over. I just really don't want to do that... so I'm kinda trying to make some repairs, but it's probably waisted time...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Nov 22 2008, 11:16 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (kjutte @ Nov 21 2008, 11:09 PM) *

i never ever use acid.. to me thats just another accident waiting to happen.. wink.gif
i use a wet cloth or actually just moist TP.. it may still be a bit hard to get off the solder from the iron, but if the alternative is acid, then water is my way to go.. i just make a quick hit on the wet tp and its gone..

about your soldering.. put the iron down where you want to solder.. heat up the leg of component and the pcb itself (about 1-2 seconds, depending on the iron) and then add the solder.. the solder should just be a quick dip on the tip.. the "legs" of the component should be heated and melt the solder right on the pcb. For instance.. if i have the "leg" of the component sticking through the pcb, i put the tip of the iron on one side of the "leg".. wait a little, and then add the solder on the other side of the "leg".

The solder on the pcb should look like small "volcanos".. if they look like a big bubble you may have a bad connection, and it doesn't look good.. if you get one of these heat the solder up a little and pull the iron up along the "leg" to remove some of the solder from the pcb.. (it will now go up the "leg", and you will remove some solder from the "bubble")

there are some components that are VERY sensitive to heat, others are not *that* sensitive.. i am guessing you have some that are not *that* sensitive, but be careful anyways..

so.. in short.. preheat the "leg" of the component/wire and pcb before adding.. only heat up until the solder will melt (1-2 maybe 3 seconds. you can only find out by doing those quick dips).. add the solder on the other side of the "leg", and remove the iron..

and one last thing.. you need less solder than you might think.. so if you do it my way, and it doesn't seem to work, dont add more.. but take off the iron.. let it cool down (maybe use the wet tp), and then try again..

edit: i guess i misunderstood the whole acid thing, but seriously, i have never had any problems with "fat" on my wires or components..

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Nov 22 2008, 11:42 AM
Learning Roadie
Okay, so i have now done some drawing on your PCB.. so check it out..

So what i want to point out is a number of things..

The long line (2nd on the left) are connected all the way, which means that the two wires on the rightmost "line" are connected.. i dont know if they are supposed to be connected, but you have to make sure they have to..

Also, i have put in some components on the PCB.. these are resistors.. components A, B, E, C, D (ya, i missed one, and ms paint isn't good.. haha).. you can see that they are all connected to eachother.. you can follow the path from Resistor A all the way to Resistor D.. (i have only put them so far apart because this is where there were "free" holes so you could see what i mean..)

Also, there is another resistor turned the other way around.. that is a no-no.. both legs on the same line will not work unless you cut the connection like in the first line (this can be done with a small knife, but be careful if you do it).

hope you can use it..

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
at lights end
Nov 22 2008, 11:58 AM
oooh dear, id definitely start again. it's not easy to do, especially on a circuit board that small, i remember how frustrating and fiddly it was in my electronics classes. i find it helps if you hold the soldering iron where you're going to solder and then put the solder on next to it, rather than putting the solder on the iron first then trying to get it to go in the right place.
i haven't made a pedal but i use a 15w iron when re-wiring my guitar; and resin cored solder.
it's more than hot enough. smile.gif

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 23 2008, 10:39 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Wow thanks guys! I'm going to try some of Zion's tips, and if that doesn't work (most likely wink.gif ) I'll have to redo it!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Nov 24 2008, 10:04 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Nov 23 2008, 10:39 AM) *
Wow thanks guys! I'm going to try some of Zion's tips, and if that doesn't work (most likely wink.gif ) I'll have to redo it!

Keep going.. i'm sure you can do it.. like everything else, practice makes perfect..

Also, if you still find it hard, dont continue on a new PCB.. clean up the old one, and practice on it.. just use some wires and solder ALL the holes with wires.. or if you have a lot of resistors, use them..

when you feel confident, start over on the new board.. smile.gif

Good luck, and ask away if you have any q's

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 24 2008, 04:30 PM
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Nov 22 2008, 11:16 AM) *
i never ever use acid.. to me thats just another accident waiting to happen.. ;)

I don't really care if you use it or not, as all the professionals use it.

This post has been edited by kjutte: Nov 24 2008, 04:32 PM

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 24 2008, 04:31 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kjutte @ Nov 24 2008, 04:30 PM) *
Then I wonder why all the professionals do it. Do you think I post rubbish?

C'mon calm down, Zion's just trying to say that he does it differently, which works as well.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 24 2008, 04:33 PM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Nov 24 2008, 04:31 PM) *
C'mon calm down, Zion's just trying to say that he does it differently, which works as well.

I don't really need you to tell me what works and what doesn't, no offense.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 24 2008, 04:37 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kjutte @ Nov 24 2008, 04:33 PM) *
I don't really need you to tell me what works and what doesn't, no offense.

Ok, I'll just shut it

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 24 2008, 05:21 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (kjutte @ Nov 24 2008, 04:30 PM) *
I don't really care if you use it or not, as all the professionals use it.

Moderating comment:
There's no need to take this personal.
So maybe you're more a professional solderer than Zion, noone will think less of you for having a more professional approach to soldering. Huh??? I don't get it.
And if Zion thinks he's less a professional and wants to avoid acid thinking he'll cause an explosion I don't see any reason for jumping throat on that comment. And if Kanzie wants to choose his approach that's nothing personal either.

I suggest this stops right here!

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 24 2008, 06:14 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Nov 24 2008, 05:21 PM) *
Moderating comment:
There's no need to take this personal.
So maybe you're more a professional solderer than Zion, noone will think less of you for having a more professional approach to soldering. Huh??? I don't get it.
And if Zion thinks he's less a professional and wants to avoid acid thinking he'll cause an explosion I don't see any reason for jumping throat on that comment. And if Kanzie wants to choose his approach that's nothing personal either.

I suggest this stops right here!

I never said I was a good solderer, but the tin won't blend if you don't use acid, or have a tin thread with an acid layer covering it already.

Either way, I am sorry for the outbreak.

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Nov 24 2008, 11:14 PM
Learning Roadie
wow.. i did *not* see this one coming.. at all..

i was merely suggesting that acid is something you should be extremely careful with, and if you take a look at the place where i last did my soldering, you would know that acid should be no-where around.. i tend to get kinda messy with all sorts of tool and cr*p around..

and, seeing as kaznie_NL is "only" 15 (no-offence kaznie), and thinking back on how i was back then (again, no-offence kaznie), bringing acid into the picture seemed (to me) like a bad idea.. (even though it may be the most correct and professional way to do it... but to be honest, i have absolutely no clue..)

now, i am definately no professional.. not even an expert.. barely an amateur.. i am just trying to help where i can, and try to tell people how *i* choose to do the things that i do.. just like you i believe..

anyways, i was just saying what *i* do, and quite frankly, i dont care what anybody else do. maybe your way *IS* the better, more correct way to do it.. you know what, i am sure it is.. but i guess, in this business too, there are more than one way to do it..

i can only share my beliefs and my experience.. whether people agree with them or not.. pfft.. do i look like i care?

edit: maybe the tin i usually use have this acid layer that you talk about.. i really dont know, because i dont have my own equipment.. i usually borrow the stuff (thats how pro i am).. however, it just looks to me that kaznie doesn't have problems with the tin itself, but rather using too much or using a too hot iron..

anyways, let move on.. we are all friends here, trying to help eachother out..

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Nov 24 2008, 11:26 PM

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 25 2008, 12:39 AM
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Nov 24 2008, 11:14 PM) *
wow.. i did *not* see this one coming.. at all..

i was merely suggesting that acid is something you should be extremely careful with, and if you take a look at the place where i last did my soldering, you would know that acid should be no-where around.. i tend to get kinda messy with all sorts of tool and cr*p around..

and, seeing as kaznie_NL is "only" 15 (no-offence kaznie), and thinking back on how i was back then (again, no-offence kaznie), bringing acid into the picture seemed (to me) like a bad idea.. (even though it may be the most correct and professional way to do it... but to be honest, i have absolutely no clue..)

now, i am definately no professional.. not even an expert.. barely an amateur.. i am just trying to help where i can, and try to tell people how *i* choose to do the things that i do.. just like you i believe..

anyways, i was just saying what *i* do, and quite frankly, i dont care what anybody else do. maybe your way *IS* the better, more correct way to do it.. you know what, i am sure it is.. but i guess, in this business too, there are more than one way to do it..

i can only share my beliefs and my experience.. whether people agree with them or not.. pfft.. do i look like i care?

edit: maybe the tin i usually use have this acid layer that you talk about.. i really dont know, because i dont have my own equipment.. i usually borrow the stuff (thats how pro i am).. however, it just looks to me that kaznie doesn't have problems with the tin itself, but rather using too much or using a too hot iron..

anyways, let move on.. we are all friends here, trying to help eachother out..

I never said you suck, I just got angry when you started out with "I never use acid.", as it would mislead.
Let's forget about it, I am sorry for flaming you man.

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Nov 25 2008, 09:12 AM
Learning Roadie
no harm, no foul.. so no worries.. smile.gif
and no, you never said that either.. i think we may have been talking about completely different things..

anyways, it's already forgotten.. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 25 2008, 06:09 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Nov 24 2008, 11:14 PM) *
and, seeing as kaznie_NL is "only" 15 (no-offence kaznie), and thinking back on how i was back then (again, no-offence kaznie), bringing acid into the picture seemed (to me) like a bad idea

Haha, no offence taken at all, I think I get what you're talking 'bout ;)

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
jdriver
Nov 26 2008, 06:10 AM
Here is an excellent tutorial with pictures from the folks at B.Y.O.C. on how to solder and make connections for a successful build.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/vie...?f=9&t=6401

I have one of their kits, the Optical Compressor, but have not had time to build it.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:09 AM