Double-jointedness - Positive Or Negative?!
Ajmurrell
Sep 7 2008, 02:00 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hey all,

Really random question I know, but it got me thinking today and thought I'd see what other people thought.

I have obscurely double jointed fingers and even in both thumbs, and I honestly can't work out if overall its a positive or negative for playing guitar.

I can see how it makes stretching and getting into awkward angles a bit easier perhaps, but also wonder if it hinders strength and ridigity in the fingers. I've always noticed that big stretches for me aren't too taxing, but even 6 years into playing have some difficulty with certain vibrato techniques.

Anyone else freakishly double jointed?!

Heh, please forgive the random obscurity that I will in no doubt contribute to this site biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sigma7
Sep 7 2008, 02:07 AM
GMC:er
yay i am in both my thumbs but i hardly ever have to go into the mode. im sure it wont hurt but maybe when play stretches, ur thumbs could pop out and make u lose ur rythm and such idk

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 7 2008, 08:50 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
I've i used to have double jointed thumbs but since playing the guitar only my left hand is properly double jointed. I think its cos i used to tense my hand a lot when i was picking.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 7 2008, 09:28 AM
Instructor
My friend had double jointed thumbs and I thought it was pretty cool smile.gif

But no, I don't know anyone who has double jointed fingers and plays guitar. With thumb I guess it's not that big of a deal, but it needs some adjusting I guess.

Also I think you shouldn't worry too much, you can definitely play guitar and practice normally, just take care of your fingers just as everyone else.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:15 PM