32 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Adams Bootcamp, Time to Fight Soldier!
Adam
Dec 12 2019, 01:01 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 3 2019, 01:18 AM) *
Well Fought Soldier!!! You may have noticed that I'm starting to combine things from various bits that we learned along the way. These all build on each other so that's why it's important to do them in order. Also, I noticed that you didn't seem to have to struggle at all with these. I'd say you are ready to start pushing the speed a bit. Never a requirement for speed in bootcamp but I sense that you have more under the hood that you are actually showing. Go ahead and push it a little bit. You are ready. As the only person ever to make it this far, you have the basics down. The time has come for you to push your envelope!
let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

STRETCHY Yet again great job on the THUMBLESS. It really is the secret sauce to playing stretchy licks. It's too bad more people don't know about it! Then again I've shared it with some very experience players who simply could not do it. Once the hand gets used to having that thumb on the neck, some folks can't unlearn it. No problem here!

BACK AND FORTH WITH GRACE AND STYLE Also yet again with the back and forth. It's a great way to get the fingers confused and a lesser player would stumble over these types of licks. You seem to have Zero problem at all. Nice.

INVERSION PLUS I LOVE inversion licks and now I'm throwing partial inversions in with licks. This really messes some players up badly. Not you. SCORE!!! In short, you are killing it here in the deep weeds past Mission 100. I really didn't know what would happen when students made it this far. As you are the only one ever, so far I'd say it's going great!!!
You just...

LEVELED UP!!!!!

[attachment=49423:150.jpg]
You are still our TOP DAWG!!!!!!

*P.S. You are up to the next badge which nobody has ever seen since I've never handed one out!

Thank you! It's really fun to do and because I'm learning too, it's a win-win situation. I'll try pushing the speed a bit more now.

I was tight on budget and had to use my mobile transfer sparingly, so I didn't browse the Internet much lately. I forgot to include it in my payments and I've spent what little I still had on the Mesa tube. I had some trouble replacing it and I pushed it in with a little force, I hope nothing broke there but it's working.
I didn't crank it up much lately, so I don't see too much of a difference but it's a bit better than the stock (though Joyo did a good job copying the tube as they did with the amp!) What's weird is, I got one for about 30 USD and 2-3 days later I got another one, so it's 2 tubes for 30 USD. The shop didn't contact me about it, so I'm assuming it was maybe a bit of good luck and their good will.

I'm getting a lot of overtime work lately which is nice, but I come home tired. It will be like this until January at least but that gives me more practice time per video. Shooting it and processing is time-consuming and I usually do it late night. I choose an extra hour of sleep when I'm tired over it, so I won't be uploading too often for a while.

You mentioned a few times you studied Classical Guitar too. Could you guide me a little on that path as well?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 12 2019, 03:14 AM
GMC:er
Good to hear from you smile.gif Glad the new tube is working out! Did you get a classical guitar? The main difference is that it's picked with the fingernails instead of a guitar pick. You can use your classical guitar if you like on some of the Bootcamp lessons. It won't work well on the tapped/hammered lessons, but the picked lessons should work just fine! smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Adam @ Dec 11 2019, 08:01 PM) *
Thank you! It's really fun to do and because I'm learning too, it's a win-win situation. I'll try pushing the speed a bit more now.

I was tight on budget and had to use my mobile transfer sparingly, so I didn't browse the Internet much lately. I forgot to include it in my payments and I've spent what little I still had on the Mesa tube. I had some trouble replacing it and I pushed it in with a little force, I hope nothing broke there but it's working.
I didn't crank it up much lately, so I don't see too much of a difference but it's a bit better than the stock (though Joyo did a good job copying the tube as they did with the amp!) What's weird is, I got one for about 30 USD and 2-3 days later I got another one, so it's 2 tubes for 30 USD. The shop didn't contact me about it, so I'm assuming it was maybe a bit of good luck and their good will.

I'm getting a lot of overtime work lately which is nice, but I come home tired. It will be like this until January at least but that gives me more practice time per video. Shooting it and processing is time-consuming and I usually do it late night. I choose an extra hour of sleep when I'm tired over it, so I won't be uploading too often for a while.

You mentioned a few times you studied Classical Guitar too. Could you guide me a little on that path as well?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 19 2019, 12:16 AM
Learning Roadie

Should I use pick with Classical guitar if I'm only after the crazy Classical technique for left hand? I know more or less how to do it with fingers but the only thing that I can think of that it would help me with is hybrid picking and I don't think I'm ready for this yet.

I'm not quite used to the regular (non-shred) pattern for the Major scale, so that part is a bit slower.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 19 2019, 05:54 AM
Classsical Guitar is traditionally played using the fingernails on the right hand. Of course, plenty of people just play it with a pick as well, especially in Non Classcial Guitar types of music. If you just want the texture of nylon strings for example, then just grab a pick and go for it smile.gif These are two very different types of playing. Playing traditional classical guitar is done with the fingers and not with a pick. Learning to use the fingers for picking is one of the biggest challenges of playing classical guitar. I'd say try to get used to doing it both ways. Now on to the Debrief!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

PINKY POWER This is a great example of your PINKY POWER!! I can remember way back when using the pinky this much was a real challenge for you but no longer!!!!

PRECISION KILLS Clean, precise strikes. Clean and precise fretting. You've come a LONG way my friend!!!

PACE WINS RACES You keep a nice and steady pace through the entire set of drills. Not an easy thing when the drills are all over the place. Nice!!
Soldier, these are some of the Most Advanced Missions in the entire War. You are attacking them with vigor and showing them who's boss!!! Well done. Keep it up!!!
You just...
LEVELED UP!!!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

QUOTE (Adam @ Dec 18 2019, 07:16 PM) *

Should I use pick with Classical guitar if I'm only after the crazy Classical technique for left hand? I know more or less how to do it with fingers but the only thing that I can think of that it would help me with is hybrid picking and I don't think I'm ready for this yet.

I'm not quite used to the regular (non-shred) pattern for the Major scale, so that part is a bit slower.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 19 2019, 06:49 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 20 2019, 12:43 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 19 2019, 06:54 AM) *
Classsical Guitar is traditionally played using the fingernails on the right hand. Of course, plenty of people just play it with a pick as well, especially in Non Classcial Guitar types of music. If you just want the texture of nylon strings for example, then just grab a pick and go for it smile.gif These are two very different types of playing. Playing traditional classical guitar is done with the fingers and not with a pick. Learning to use the fingers for picking is one of the biggest challenges of playing classical guitar. I'd say try to get used to doing it both ways. Now on to the Debrief!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

PINKY POWER This is a great example of your PINKY POWER!! I can remember way back when using the pinky this much was a real challenge for you but no longer!!!!

PRECISION KILLS Clean, precise strikes. Clean and precise fretting. You've come a LONG way my friend!!!

PACE WINS RACES You keep a nice and steady pace through the entire set of drills. Not an easy thing when the drills are all over the place. Nice!!
Soldier, these are some of the Most Advanced Missions in the entire War. You are attacking them with vigor and showing them who's boss!!! Well done. Keep it up!!!
You just...
LEVELED UP!!!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

I will try it both ways then smile.gif Some Classical and non-classical pieces are better played with fingers. Hetfield does that a lot too, so it should be helpful in my playing.

I missed this scale and there it is again! Once again, the non-shred fingering is something I'm not used to but I managed it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 20 2019, 04:06 AM
Well Fought Soldier!!!!! You are pulling it all together and it's great to see. You are able to now pull all kinds of techniques out of your bag of tricks and bring your skills to the fight no matter what I throw at ya!!! Let's Debrief.
MEDALS OF HONOR

THUMBLESSNESS NEXT TO GODLINESS:
You have a realy good handle on the THUMBLELSS technique and you are making great use of it in recent Missions. It's a crucial technique that some playeyrs never learn and it keeps them from their full potential. Not you!!
PINKY POWER : Your pinky can do anything at this point!!! This one has a crazy reach and a very strange pattern which is not like any normal scale. No problems for you!!

SOOO MANY NOTES!!!!!: This Mission has a TON of notes. Wads of patterns, shapes, ,most of them are strange, and it would be easy to get lost in it. Not you!!! KIlled it.
You are really on a roll Soldier!!! There is some really crazy tapping stuff cming up, but you are ready for it!!!!
You just,
LEVELED UP!!!!!!
Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam @ Dec 19 2019, 07:43 PM) *
I will try it both ways then smile.gif Some Classical and non-classical pieces are better played with fingers. Hetfield does that a lot too, so it should be helpful in my playing.

I missed this scale and there it is again! Once again, the non-shred fingering is something I'm not used to but I managed it.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 25 2019, 03:53 AM
Happy Holidays Soldier!! you had a great year in Bootcamp to be sure. I look forward to you breaking more records in 2020!!
Sarge

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 31 2019, 10:35 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 25 2019, 04:53 AM) *
Happy Holidays Soldier!! you had a great year in Bootcamp to be sure. I look forward to you breaking more records in 2020!!
Sarge

Thank you! Late best wishes and happy Holidays to you! I'm looking forward to learning more and polishing my technique in the next year!

I've spent the past week at work, leaving only a few hours per day to sleep, so it was pretty intense. On the bright side, my Scarlett unit should come the day after tomorrow and I'll probably need some help to get it working.

One of the Mesa tubes I got suddenly had a weird white substance on top (where the silvery one used to be) and sadly, I came to a conclusion it broke. Maybe it was faulty (worked for 2 sessions before breaking) or maybe I mishandled it somehow. Luckily, the other one works just fine. I'm thinking someone at the shop may have realized they sent me one marked as broken and that's why I got another one the next day. At least, it's what I want to think because if I broke one, I may break the other one by mistake.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 1 2020, 03:59 AM
Well fought Soldier! A good way to end up the year. Let's Debrief!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

FINGER DANCE Some great dexterity shown here. You've come a long way since the very start. I've seen you make great progress since the very start. Your fingers are getting more and more agile as we go. Keep this up and I think you in for very good things.
TIMING Good sense of timing on these. Solid timing is key to good playing and your internal metronome is coming along nicely!
TRAVEL These riffs require that you move up and down the neck. You do it with style and grace. You can traverse the neck with no worries. Nice!

You've got this on sorted Soldier!!!

You just...
LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image
Sarge

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 4 2020, 01:10 AM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 4 2020, 06:22 AM
Well Fought Soldier!! This is truly impressive. This Mission is a redux of our "SCALE INVERSION" work that you may remember from previous work. Some folks thing that inversions never get easier. It seems to me that your hard work has paid off and Your inversions are smooth as glass! This is one of the most tricky ways to play a scale IMHO and you KRUSH it! Let's Debrief!
MEDALS OF HONOR
INVERSIONS OF DOOM Inversions are tricky. No way around it. You show a deft control of your fingers here that I'm thrilled to see. All of your work has paid off Soldier. You rip through these will style and grace. Nice!

THAT SYNCHING FEELING Inversions require great hand synch. Since you are changing strings non stop, it's easy to lose track of which string gets the next pick strike and if you miss one strike, it's all jacked up and you gotta start again. You don't miss a single strike. Score!

HAVE PICK WILL TRAVEL In addition to hand synch, I have you traverse up and down the neck and up and down the strings. There is every chance to mess it up. You don't miss a beat. Impressive.
I was not expecting this Mission to shine like this Soldier. I am thrilled you are able to play these complicated bits this well. Outstanding. You earned it Soldier! You just...
LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam @ Jan 3 2020, 08:10 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 4 2020, 11:41 PM

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 5 2020, 03:28 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 4 2020, 07:22 AM) *
Well Fought Soldier!! This is truly impressive. This Mission is a redux of our "SCALE INVERSION" work that you may remember from previous work. Some folks thing that inversions never get easier. It seems to me that your hard work has paid off and Your inversions are smooth as glass! This is one of the most tricky ways to play a scale IMHO and you KRUSH it! Let's Debrief!
MEDALS OF HONOR
INVERSIONS OF DOOM Inversions are tricky. No way around it. You show a deft control of your fingers here that I'm thrilled to see. All of your work has paid off Soldier. You rip through these will style and grace. Nice!

THAT SYNCHING FEELING Inversions require great hand synch. Since you are changing strings non stop, it's easy to lose track of which string gets the next pick strike and if you miss one strike, it's all jacked up and you gotta start again. You don't miss a single strike. Score!

HAVE PICK WILL TRAVEL In addition to hand synch, I have you traverse up and down the neck and up and down the strings. There is every chance to mess it up. You don't miss a beat. Impressive.
I was not expecting this Mission to shine like this Soldier. I am thrilled you are able to play these complicated bits this well. Outstanding. You earned it Soldier! You just...
LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image

Sarge

Some shapes (the new ones) are a bit tricky but nothing I can get used to. I had visitors today, so I recorded a quickie with no distortion, etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 6 2020, 07:51 AM
Well Fought Soldier!! This one if full of tricky bits. I can hear a bit of string noise going on but it's not too bad. If you had distortion on it might make it stand out more. I don't usually like takes with zero gain as they let string noise slide by without magnifying it. You play these well so let's just move forward.

MEDALS OF HONOR

TRAVERSAL OF FORTUNE As you may have noticed, this Mission if full of fret traverl. You are required to move all the way from low to high frets. This is tricky business and it's easy to stumble. You hold it together quite well!
SLIDE IT IN Lot's of slide work on this one. Also easy to slip up on. Slide to far and you land on the wrong note, slide to little and you land on the wrong fret. You gotta slide it in just write to land in the right spot. To make it even more tricky, some slides involve the pinky! You slide with the best of them!
THUMBLESS FOR THE WIN Great job using the thumbless technique to give yourself better fret access and better flexibilty. You've made great use of it. Well done!!!
In Short, you KRUSHED it! Bit of Gain Next Time Soldier! You are in for a fun ride with the next Mission!!! For now you just...
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

QUOTE (Adam @ Jan 5 2020, 10:28 AM) *
Some shapes (the new ones) are a bit tricky but nothing I can get used to. I had visitors today, so I recorded a quickie with no distortion, etc.

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 7 2020, 12:44 AM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 7 2020, 03:52 AM
Well Fought Soldier! You are in the TALL WEEDS now. NONE of these are easy. Mission 100 through 200 are advanced examples of their 0 through 100 Mission version. As a result, you have to play not one or two drills but five or six. You have to be able to play things that are very similar but not the same. You have to play with precision, style and grace. The good news is you've earned the ability to play these difficult bits. Maybe 100 missions ago you might have struggle with this mission, but now, you are more than ready for it.

Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
MEMORY MAN Memorizing all of these patterns can be tricky. Especially since some are so similar. Well done there.

PINKY POWER Impressive work on your use of the pinky. You have developed a really good pinky technique over this series. Many players NEVER get their pinky up to snuff and their playing suffers because of it. You got it sorted!
TRAVELING MAN These licks require fret travel which can trip any player up. Not you! You fly up the fretboard with style. NICE!
You are fast approaching the next milestone. 200! keep it up!!
You just..
LEVEL UP!!
Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam @ Jan 6 2020, 07:44 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 7 2020, 03:53 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 8 2020, 04:17 AM
Learning Roadie

I'm probably late but here it is!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 8 2020, 07:39 AM
Well Fought Soldier!! You may have noticed this mission is NON STOP FINGER TWISTERS. You didn't shy away or back off, you dove in head first!! You have adapted to these types of "INVERSION" licks quite well!!! Some folks have a really hard time with these and their fingers get all twisted up. Not you!! Laser Focus!!! Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR
TWISTY BITS This one is just packed with Twisty Bits. Also, they are run back and forth making it even more twisty. You've adapted very well to these and I don't think you'll have trouble with any sort of Inversion. I'd like to see you start using these types of licks in your solo work! The next time you do a collab or something, try to use these type of licks to express yourself musically!
LONG WINDED BITS Some of these are pretty long. They go back over the same ground, but they contain quite a long run of notes. It's easy to lose where one is during long licks but you memorize them all and don't miss a note. Nice!
LIKE A CHAMP You are now able to dig in and knock these long missions out with skill and style. Despite being several drills to play, wads of notes to memorize, complicated bits to play, you tear right through it. I can see how much you've grown as a player. I hope you can see it to!!
You just..
LEVELED UP!!!!!
Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam @ Jan 7 2020, 11:17 PM) *

I'm probably late but here it is!

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 8 2020, 05:24 PM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 9 2020, 06:54 AM
This one has a lot of Econ picking in it and you had no trouble with it! Let's Debrief!
MEDALS OF HONOR
ECONONY - Lots of ECONOMIC picking in this one. Some folks have trouble with this sort of picking but you seem to be adapting quite well! Once you get used to econ picking it allows you to play things that would be very hard to alt pick.
NO WAG - You have developed a tight picking technique where you are not wagging the pick beyond the strike point. This helps a lot with precision. Well done!
PINKY TIME - Great use of the Pinky! It's good to see you using the pinky often.

You got this one sorted! You are one step closer to the magic 200!
You just..
LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image

Sarge
[b]
e='Adam' date='Jan 8 2020, 12:24 PM' post='773878']

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 11 2020, 03:25 AM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:04 AM