What String Gauge Do You Use?
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 22 2017, 05:25 PM
Instructor
I'm curious to know what everybody is using nowadays.

I've recently started using Ernie Ball Regular Slinky for both Standard and Eb tuning. (010 - 013 - 017 - 026 - 036 - 046). I used their Hybrid ones but I'm more comfortable with this classic 010 Gauge.

Cool vid on topic:

What about you? What are you using?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Apr 22 2017, 05:35 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 22 2017, 04:25 PM) *
I'm curious to know what everybody is using nowadays.

I've recently started using Ernie Ball Regular Slinky for both Standard and Eb tuning. (010 - 013 - 017 - 026 - 036 - 046). I used their Hybrid ones but I'm more comfortable with this classic 010 Gauge.

Cool vid on topic:

What about you? What are you using?

When I can I'm using the hybrid 9-46 NYXL from D'addario. My pickups on this guitar needs a bit extra output from the strings especially from the high E string and these provide a very full rich tone for my taste. Gonna try 10-46 on my next nyxl cause store was out of my regular gague.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 22 2017, 10:06 PM
Mostly same as always, .09 Super Slinky smile.gif Though I have tried the .07 Yngwie strings again and like them more than I used to.

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Apr 22 2017, 11:39 PM
I can't use 9's. I tend to slur them too much. I use 10's with a heavy top (XL140s) on my Suhr with a floating trem. 12's on my dripcaster or 11-56s.

I've tried all sort of strings, even a wound third. For some reason, I find I 'hear' a better sound from thicker strings, but mainly it's because of my hand size and strength. I've got a relatively thick hand with shorter fingers and I pinch the 9's out of tune more often than not. Trying to concentrate on such a lighter touch fools with my mojo. wink.gif

I really like my barotone with very heavy strings, (13-72 Wicked Wire I think) for slugging out heavy riffing. But without regular practice those strings wear me out.

I always hated shopping for a new electric guitar in store when all of them were strung with old 9's and I was used to 11's or 12's.

I tried coated for a while, but really couldn't justify the price difference and thought they sounded less sharp the D'Addario XLs. Are the NYXL string worth 3x the price?

This post has been edited by GeneT95: Apr 22 2017, 11:40 PM

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Apr 23 2017, 12:15 AM
QUOTE (GeneT95 @ Apr 22 2017, 10:39 PM) *
I can't use 9's. I tend to slur them too much. I use 10's with a heavy top (XL140s) on my Suhr with a floating trem. 12's on my dripcaster or 11-56s.

I've tried all sort of strings, even a wound third. For some reason, I find I 'hear' a better sound from thicker strings, but mainly it's because of my hand size and strength. I've got a relatively thick hand with shorter fingers and I pinch the 9's out of tune more often than not. Trying to concentrate on such a lighter touch fools with my mojo. wink.gif

I really like my barotone with very heavy strings, (13-72 Wicked Wire I think) for slugging out heavy riffing. But without regular practice those strings wear me out.

I always hated shopping for a new electric guitar in store when all of them were strung with old 9's and I was used to 11's or 12's.

I tried coated for a while, but really couldn't justify the price difference and thought they sounded less sharp the D'Addario XLs. Are the NYXL string worth 3x the price?

Yeah I think they're definitely worth the price. The NYXL are the first string where I've found that don't interfer with feel(like something like cobalts which are extremely rough in feel) and gives "better" tone andlifespan.

Bare in mind that I've been using Ernie Ball Slinkys and random sets of D'addario, ghs, and Fender for years and not really liking the tone of any of them until I found NYXL. So it may just be that I have very particular taste in sound and my subjective view of what I like from my tone may be very different from yours. smile.gif

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 23 2017, 01:34 AM
Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 010 for me as well, but if I happen to be in a good callus month specially summer time when temperatures are warmer, I might jump Ernie's Regular 011 while using Standard E.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Apr 23 2017, 01:48 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
I've been using 9-42 for many years. Mostly Slinky's or Fender bullets. I used 11s for a long time but mostly for D or C# standard tunings for bands I was in. I tried .008 on my Yngwie strat (since Yngwie uses light gauge strings) but couldn't adjust to the light gauge.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 23 2017, 04:10 PM
New elixir optiweb strings .9 although as they age they tend to get stiffer, now it feels like .10 smile.gif

But I like that it doesn't change tone, worth testing for recording artists as in a recording situation string have to be changed very frequently.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Apr 23 2017, 04:15 PM
Thanks Verciazghra. I ordered a couple sets to try them out. Two balanced tension 10-46's and a Medium Top/Extra Heavy bottom 11-56 to try.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Apr 23 2017, 04:46 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Super Slinky's since 1983 or so. I have tried other brands and gauges over the years but I always gravitate back to the pink pack of slinkyness. At some point I just quit trying other strings and gauges altogether. If it ain't broke, don't fix it I guess.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 24 2017, 02:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Apr 22 2017, 08:15 PM) *
Yeah I think they're definitely worth the price. The NYXL are the first string where I've found that don't interfer with feel(like something like cobalts which are extremely rough in feel) and gives "better" tone andlifespan.

Bare in mind that I've been using Ernie Ball Slinkys and random sets of D'addario, ghs, and Fender for years and not really liking the tone of any of them until I found NYXL. So it may just be that I have very particular taste in sound and my subjective view of what I like from my tone may be very different from yours. smile.gif

This info is really interesting. I've never tried these strings and now I'm curious to see how this can affect the tone of my guitar. I'm comfortable with my Ernie Balls but it's always cool to experiment. Thanks!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 22 2017, 06:06 PM) *
Mostly same as always, .09 Super Slinky smile.gif Though I have tried the .07 Yngwie strings again and like them more than I used to.

07?? Really?? ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 22 2017, 06:06 PM) *

07?? Really?? ohmy.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:17 PM