Wassup From Central Valley, California
Stratman58
May 27 2007, 02:24 AM
GMC:er
Howdy all my fellow soon-to-be Guitar Gods cool.gif blink.gif

The name is Ross, just registered to Guitar Master Class 2 days ago. So far, I'm loving it.

One of the main reasons I joined was because I found myself in a rut. The only thing I could do decently in a guitar solo was the Pentatonic boxes. I was also having troubles expanding horizontally from that pentatonic box; too often I found myself in the wrong key. I even played guitar in my jazz band Junior year (Schools out for summer! Hello part time job and guitar practicing blink.gif ) and had a hard time finding the style, because when my solo came around I was too afraid to move out of my safe pentatonic scale. I signed up for AP music theory my senior year of high school, and I'm really looking forward to the class.

So far, I've been getting much help from GMC videos regarding alternate picking and pick sweeping. I'm still looking for those videos that help especially in the terms of moving up and down the fretboard while staying in the right key. If this struggle sounds familiar to anyone, I would gladly appreciate help, or some kind of point in the right direction.

Some of my influences, just for fun:
Joe Satriani
Paul Gilbert
John Petrucci
Malmsteen (forget trying to get his firstname right mellow.gif )
Buckethead! (Love this dude, just discovered him about 1 month ago and hes working too the top of my list)
Audioslave
Sum41 (Probably the only punk, powerchord type of band I will tolerate)
and all the oldies, including Blue Oyster Cult (Buck Dharma!) Boston, Doobie Bros....

Hope to be one of the success stories!
-Ross

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
God said "Let there be LIGHT"
and Chuck Norris said "Say Please"

Gear:
Ibanez RG Prestige 1570 Mirage Blue
Fender Mexican Strat HSS Arctic White
G&L Climax Marble body (Found my Gotoh trem bar!)
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board
Ibanez delay and chorus tank pedals
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spdalton
May 27 2007, 03:52 AM
GMC:er
Hey Ross,

Welcome to GMC!
You will learn so much here and have fun in the process.

I know exactly what you're talking about as I was stuck in that same rut and I'm sure nearly every other learner of guitar has experienced it as well. If you have a look at the pentatonic video lessons you will learn about the different positions, or 'boxes', of the pentatonic scale.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/One_on_on...onic_scale1.htm

Once you have learnt them then the whole fretboard is opened up and you have heaps of freedom do do whatever you want.

Goodluck!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

http://www.myspace.com/cashnz
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:59 AM