What Guitar Should I Get?
stratman33
May 31 2007, 02:41 AM
GMC:er
Ok, just wondering. My price range is from 200-300 bucks(im only 13, hard to make more than that).If you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to see them!Thanks! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
fkalich
May 31 2007, 03:39 AM
QUOTE (stratman33 @ May 30 2007, 08:41 PM) *
Ok, just wondering. My price range is from 200-300 bucks(im only 13, hard to make more than that).If you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to see them!Thanks! biggrin.gif

I won't say what type you should get, but I would save up a bit more, maybe closer to $500 and hit ebay, get a guitar with some minor cosmetic issues that is otherwise in perfect condition. you will forget about cosmetic issues fast if the guitar is otherwise good sounding and well playing, and get it cheaper.

make sure the seller has a near perfect record (99% or greater), and make sure they guarantee that all is well, the neck is straight, no physical issues.

I would get something your really like, don't just get something quick because you want a new guitar, if it is not what you really want. save up a bit if necessary, and get what you want, something you will be satisfied with. borrow from family a bit if possible.

Ok, I will say which one, a Gibson Les Paul Studio, on ebay, with some marks on it. Or a Gibson Les Paul Studio Mahogany (or faded). These are all nice. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't shred with a Les Paul, BS.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 31 2007, 03:46 AM

+Quote Post
stratman33
May 31 2007, 09:27 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ May 30 2007, 10:39 PM) *
I won't say what type you should get, but I would save up a bit more, maybe closer to $500 and hit ebay, get a guitar with some minor cosmetic issues that is otherwise in perfect condition. you will forget about cosmetic issues fast if the guitar is otherwise good sounding and well playing, and get it cheaper.

make sure the seller has a near perfect record (99% or greater), and make sure they guarantee that all is well, the neck is straight, no physical issues.

I would get something your really like, don't just get something quick because you want a new guitar, if it is not what you really want. save up a bit if necessary, and get what you want, something you will be satisfied with. borrow from family a bit if possible.

Ok, I will say which one, a Gibson Les Paul Studio, on ebay, with some marks on it. Or a Gibson Les Paul Studio Mahogany (or faded). These are all nice. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't shred with a Les Paul, BS.

i could do that, but im gonna wait to see some other suggestions.anyone else have a suggestion from the first price range i said($200-$300 USD)?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Layzer
May 31 2007, 09:51 PM
QUOTE (stratman33 @ May 31 2007, 03:27 PM) *
i could do that, but im gonna wait to see some other suggestions.anyone else have a suggestion from the first price range i said($200-$300 USD)?

try to find a nice mexican made strat on ebay....50's vintage or 60's OR you could get a slightly used PRS SE which are great guitars...ive played one and they are easy\fun to play.....ONE thing is for sure and that with 200-300 your best shot is ebay

--------------------
Unity

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 31 2007, 09:55 PM
Instructor
Get 50$ more and get yourself an Ibanez RG 370DX - i had it - i was my first guitar and i must say its an awesome axe for the price!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
stratman33
May 31 2007, 09:55 PM
pavel-could you give me a link to it possibly?thanks! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 31 2007, 10:59 PM
Instructor
Here it is:

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG370DX&c=BLH

I had it in SeaGreen color. Great guitar for only 320$ i payed for it!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jun 1 2007, 09:20 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ May 31 2007, 05:59 PM) *
Here it is:

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG370DX&c=BLH

I had it in SeaGreen color. Great guitar for only 320$ i payed for it!

what do you think of this guitar Pavel?

It's Ibanez RG350DX

EDIT:Sorry, but the link wont load huh.gif but if you go to Samash.com just type in Ibanez RG350DX.

This post has been edited by stratman33: Jun 1 2007, 09:22 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jun 1 2007, 09:34 PM
Instructor
The link works for me! It's good guitar! Really if you are thinking of getting new one go for this Ibanez!

--------------------

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jun 1 2007, 09:37 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jun 1 2007, 04:34 PM) *
The link works for me! It's good guitar! Really if you are thinking of getting new one go for this Ibanez!

weird that the linked worked for you, but whatever. Ya ive ben keepin my eye on this for a while, earning my money by mowing lawns dry.gif its hard work, but im earning money fast.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 2 2007, 03:03 AM
QUOTE (stratman33 @ Jun 1 2007, 03:37 PM) *
weird that the linked worked for you, but whatever. Ya ive ben keepin my eye on this for a while, earning my money by mowing lawns dry.gif its hard work, but im earning money fast.

Look at it this way stratman, here is a recent attempted sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-Gibson-Les-Paul-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

He did not get his minimum, but if you are patient, you can get a very nice one of these ebony studios for a price like this. if you want something else, you can always sell it for what you paid for it. pretty hard to imagine living without a les paul to me.

do what you think best. but if you do look to ebay, ask me. i am an expert on ebay buying i think. never been burned. you have to be careful, and know what the red flags are, when buying something like this. any red flag, you pass it by, another one will show up.

in fact, even if you want an ibanez, i would consider ebay, and getting a better one. but you have to know what you are doing, how to smell an ebay rat.

edit:

here is one i have

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio...1QQcmdZViewItem

this guy was not able to get $500, and he looks real solid. I once saw a near mint one for $475 on ebay. This is one heck of a guitar. The burstbuckers are screamers, harmonics are unreal. Good sustain. I have a fancy custom shop lp, but honestly, i play this more. Some guy on this forum has a les paul studio faded, just about the same guitar, except i don't think it has the burstbuckers. he is clearly proud of it, as he has it on his sig.

anyway, do what you think best. but my big advice is, get something you really want, even if you have to save up a bit for a few months. don't settle, get something you will be satisfied with, ibanez or whatever.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 2 2007, 03:15 AM

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jun 2 2007, 03:27 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 1 2007, 10:03 PM) *
Look at it this way stratman, here is a recent attempted sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-Gibson-Les-Paul-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

He did not get his minimum, but if you are patient, you can get a very nice one of these ebony studios for a price like this. if you want something else, you can always sell it for what you paid for it. pretty hard to imagine living without a les paul to me.

do what you think best. but if you do look to ebay, ask me. i am an expert on ebay buying i think. never been burned. you have to be careful, and know what the red flags are, when buying something like this. any red flag, you pass it by, another one will show up.

in fact, even if you want an ibanez, i would consider ebay, and getting a better one. but you have to know what you are doing, how to smell an ebay rat.
edit:

here is one i have

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio...1QQcmdZViewItem

this guy was not able to get $500, and he looks real solid. I once saw a near mint one for $475 on ebay. This is one heck of a guitar. The burstbuckers are screamers, harmonics are unreal. Good sustain. I have a fancy custom shop lp, but honestly, i play this more. Some guy on this forum has a les paul studio faded, just about the same guitar, except i don't think it has the burstbuckers. he is clearly proud of it, as he has it on his sig.

anyway, do what you think best. but my big advice is, get something you really want, even if you have to save up a bit for a few months. don't settle, get something you will be satisfied with, ibanez or whatever.

ya, i know les pauls are great, but i already have one. I'm looking along the lines of ibanez or schecter cuz im getting this guitar for the heavier music that i do.So any suggestions about any guitars in those brands would be great!

--------------------

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jun 3 2007, 11:26 PM
Go to a musicstore and try a few different Schecters. Schecter gives you good value for the money. I'm sure you will find a good metal axe that fits your wallet. The Schecter Revenger for example is in that range I think.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jun 4 2007, 03:29 AM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Jun 3 2007, 06:26 PM) *
Go to a musicstore and try a few different Schecters. Schecter gives you good value for the money. I'm sure you will find a good metal axe that fits your wallet. The Schecter Revenger for example is in that range I think.

Do you think this guitar is a good deal for my price range? Looks good to me, but it sounds like you know a bit about schecters, and i want your advice on this.Thanks!

This post has been edited by stratman33: Jun 4 2007, 03:30 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rock
Jun 4 2007, 03:51 AM
QUOTE (stratman33 @ Jun 4 2007, 03:29 AM) *
Do you think this guitar is a good deal for my price range? Looks good to me, but it sounds like you know a bit about schecters, and i want your advice on this.Thanks!

Schecter makes a very good quality product. For $299, you probably can't go wrong, but if you have a local guitar center that you can visit where you can try that is definitely your best best since you may pick up another guitar and absolutely love it in the same price range. Then if you do not want to buy on the spot, you can spend some time reading reviews and asking questions concerning the two or three you narrow it down to.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jun 4 2007, 06:44 AM
Instructor
Fixed bridge ?! Well, if you like it that way - it looks pretty nice!

--------------------

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jun 4 2007, 03:30 PM
I don't want to point on any particular guitar or brand. I think Schecter is lots of quality for any amount of money, compared to many of the bigger brands. I love my Hellraiser and wouldn't trade it for any other. My next guitar will probably be a Schecter too, a Black Jack. I prefer them without tremolo since I cant see myself have any use for it, so I see no need for paying for a tremolo. But that's my preferences. *YOU* have to like the guitar. In fact make sure you really love it. You are going to play a long time on it and if you feel it's just an OK guitar, try another one. So, try before you buy. Then go home and think about it and then go back and try more guitars.

BTW, that guitar has 22 frets. You might want to get 24

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jun 4 2007, 09:08 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jun 4 2007, 01:44 AM) *
Fixed bridge ?! Well, if you like it that way - it looks pretty nice!

Is there something bad about fixed bridges? I'm no gear expert, so im not even sure what a fixed bridge is....But isnt that schecter i showed you a string-thru bridge?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 4 2007, 09:33 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (stratman33 @ Jun 4 2007, 04:08 PM) *
Is there something bad about fixed bridges? I'm no gear expert, so im not even sure what a fixed bridge is....But isnt that schecter i showed you a string-thru bridge?

Fixed as opposed to with a Whammy bar ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jun 6 2007, 02:21 AM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Jun 4 2007, 10:30 AM) *
BTW, that guitar has 22 frets. You might want to get 24

Oh good point....I think the ibanez i showed earlier has 24 frets though. And i think my minds set for that ibanez! :)Oh and by the way, what is you guys opinion on the Edge III bridge?I've heard good and bad things about it, so if any of you guys have experience with it that'd be awesome! smile.gif

This post has been edited by stratman33: Jun 6 2007, 02:24 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:12 AM