2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Pain In Shoulder
Xecuter88
Jul 15 2008, 10:54 AM
GMC:er
It seems like no matter how i sit with the guitar, it eventually starts to hurt in my shoulder, in the muscle that's on the outside of the arm. If you know what I mean.

I concentrate a lot about relaxing that arm, but it doesn't seem to help. Is the problem my position, or am I just weak in the muscle? happy.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
---Some fancy signature---
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 15 2008, 11:29 AM
QUOTE (Xecuter88 @ Jul 15 2008, 11:54 AM) *
It seems like no matter how i sit with the guitar, it eventually starts to hurt in my shoulder, in the muscle that's on the outside of the arm. If you know what I mean.

I concentrate a lot about relaxing that arm, but it doesn't seem to help. Is the problem my position, or am I just weak in the muscle? happy.gif

You haven't been playing long enough. This is also a workout, you gotta build stamina. Lay the guitar down for a day and try again. Everytime you get this poo, you should lay off one day. Basic rules of training.

Edit for language - Smells

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Smells: Jul 30 2008, 12:25 PM

+Quote Post
Oxac
Jul 15 2008, 11:35 AM
stretching and massage is very good tools as well. Just as warm-up is biggrin.gif

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 15 2008, 11:40 AM
QUOTE (Oxac @ Jul 15 2008, 12:35 PM) *
stretching and massage is very good tools as well. Just as warm-up is biggrin.gif

stretch before you start though. if you stretch after, you'll ruin the new muscle somewhat.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 15 2008, 12:50 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well I'm sure that that muscle is hearting you because you are too much tensed up when playing.I don't think its anything more serious than a normal muscle strain so its not dangerous.Also in train you will train that muscle a bit but most importantly you will learn to relax while playing so you won't have any problems..Trust me this comes in time!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Xecuter88
Jul 15 2008, 12:54 PM
QUOTE (kjutte @ Jul 15 2008, 12:29 PM) *
You haven't been playing long enough. This is also a workout, you gotta build stamina. Lay the guitar down for a day and try again. Everytime you get this shit, you should lay off one day. Basic rules of training.

I've been playing for 12 years! tongue.gif

And how do I stretch that muscle?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 15 2008, 02:57 PM
Instructor
Maybe it is the position, can you somehow post a picture of your posture?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Jul 15 2008, 03:14 PM
QUOTE (Xecuter88 @ Jul 15 2008, 11:54 AM) *

Maybe you should try to sit on a more elevated chair? I was at a physical therapist today, and he told me that my posture was a little too crooked, but that it probably was like that because I was sitting in a very low chair. I don't know, worth a try at least tongue.gif

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

Songs I'm writing down/learning at the moment:

Children of Bodom - Downfall

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jul 15 2008, 03:29 PM
When I get pains like that, I sit down and play for a week or two. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Xecuter88
Jul 15 2008, 04:30 PM
QUOTE (IDontWantMyUsername @ Jul 15 2008, 04:14 PM) *
Maybe you should try to sit on a more elevated chair? I was at a physical therapist today, and he told me that my posture was a little too crooked, but that it probably was like that because I was sitting in a very low chair. I don't know, worth a try at least tongue.gif

I'm am sitting on an elevated chair.

QUOTE (jacmoe @ Jul 15 2008, 04:29 PM) *
When I get pains like that, I sit down and play for a week or two. smile.gif

What do you mean? I am sitting down.

Edit: Picture.
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Xecuter88: Jul 15 2008, 04:31 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 15 2008, 04:32 PM
QUOTE (Xecuter88 @ Jul 15 2008, 01:54 PM) *
I've been playing for 12 years! tongue.gif

And how do I stretch that muscle?

ahh, ok. I know what's wrong then, but I don't know the english term. anyway, you gotta work out lightly to make it fine again, else you'd have to wait a long time. Don't play guitar though.

+Quote Post
Xecuter88
Jul 15 2008, 04:40 PM
You're from Norway, I'm from Norway, tell me in norwegian! tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 15 2008, 04:42 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
The only thing I think looks odd is that the picture shows your lifting up your right shoulder a bit, perhaps that causes the strain? What if you relax the shoulder as you play, does the pain still appear?
Does standing up and playing with a shoulder strap work better for you when the guitar comes more infront of the body?

Just unqualified guesses, alright! smile.gif

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jul 15 2008, 04:43 PM
QUOTE (Xecuter88 @ Jul 15 2008, 05:30 PM) *
What do you mean? I am sitting down.

My bad. wink.gif
You look really out of balance on that picture! huh.gif

Your legs and your upper body are at the wrong angle for your picking hand, forcing your shoulder upwards.

It will probably help if you put your left leg on a foot stool.

If you have a comfortable pose when standing, try to get the same pose when sitting down. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Xecuter88
Jul 15 2008, 04:45 PM
You might be right. I'll have to practice and see if it happens.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jul 15 2008, 04:47 PM
Try a foot stool with your right leg, then your left leg - just experiment. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 15 2008, 04:50 PM
QUOTE (Xecuter88 @ Jul 15 2008, 05:40 PM) *
You're from Norway, I'm from Norway, tell me in norwegian! tongue.gif

senebetennelse mann

+Quote Post
Xecuter88
Jul 15 2008, 04:50 PM
I play with my right foot elevated. It keeps the guitar in place and such.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Jul 16 2008, 12:38 AM
Instructor
Well try with the left foot elevated, just like a classic guitarist. Keep your shoulders up and show us your chest! I really don't like that loose position you have in the picture!! And last, try to relax your right arm by lay it down on the guitar top.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Xecuter88
Jul 16 2008, 12:45 AM
QUOTE (Danilo Capezzuto @ Jul 16 2008, 01:38 AM) *
Well try with the left foot elevated, just like a classic guitarist. Keep your shoulders up and show us your chest! I really don't like that loose position you have in the picture!! And last, try to relax your right arm by lay it down on the guitar top.

You mean holding the guitar between my legs? That's fine, that works... That's how I do most my practicing. The problem with that position is that it gets harder to hold the pick correctly.

What do you mean by loose position?

Edit: The strange thing tho, is that when I sit by the computer and type and such, the right shoulder is slightly elevated, but that doesn't hurt, unless I'm aware of it. happy.gif

This post has been edited by Xecuter88: Jul 16 2008, 12:47 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:11 PM