Stumped, Progression
enlo22
Jan 7 2012, 09:02 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
Lately i've been feeling kind of stuck in learning things. I've spend time learning scales and understanding more of the theory part of it all. I have also been having days where i don't seem as inspirated as before but those are random, i'm not sure if i'm alone here. It seems like I was learning things quicker before and having more fun, now i'm not having as much fun maybe because i'm focusing too much on learning certain parts and worrying about not improving to reach the level i would like to become. I want to improve on my style and be able to play more technical stuff and understand it aswell, I don't wanna be stuck in a box. No offense to anyone who does enjoy playing on a certain chunk of the scales but for some reason i wanna be able to have speed and move around. I don't know if this will come with time or if i'm just not made for it..

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 15)
Todd Simpson
Jan 7 2012, 09:41 AM
GMC:er
Sounds like you are sorta burning yourself out. To get back to being "inspirated" smile.gif Focus on playing things that you actually want to play. Have fun, enjoy playing, follow your instincts. What do you feel like playing and learning? Do that!

You will get better as you go. The most important thing is that you don't stop playing. Just not quitting is in itself a big victory. Playing guitar is hard, especially at first. If it was easy, everyone would be a great player smile.gif So use your desire to play whatever, to motivate you to just keep playing. Worry later about memorizing this or that scale. The scales aren't going anywhere :)They will be there when you are ready for them.

Todd

QUOTE (enlo22 @ Jan 7 2012, 03:02 AM) *
Lately i've been feeling kind of stuck in learning things. I've spend time learning scales and understanding more of the theory part of it all. I have also been having days where i don't seem as inspirated as before but those are random, i'm not sure if i'm alone here. It seems like I was learning things quicker before and having more fun, now i'm not having as much fun maybe because i'm focusing too much on learning certain parts and worrying about not improving to reach the level i would like to become. I want to improve on my style and be able to play more technical stuff and understand it aswell, I don't wanna be stuck in a box. No offense to anyone who does enjoy playing on a certain chunk of the scales but for some reason i wanna be able to have speed and move around. I don't know if this will come with time or if i'm just not made for it..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 7 2012, 12:25 PM
Instructor
All of us end up in this little rut sometimes smile.gif regardless of the level of proficiency! Todd's advice is very good smile.gif Don't pressure yourself! Music is not a competition smile.gif breathe deep and give yourself the time YOU need in order to learn and be able to fully express yourself by using your instrument.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 7 2012, 01:38 PM
Instructor
It just takes time to achieve all this, patience, time and dedication! smile.gif Don't put yourself down, there will be plenty of times where you will be stuck for some reason or another. Try to create some music, try to compose, and play some chords. Learn the intervals and chords, how are they made and how they are connected to scales, this should help you a bit. Try to work on something completely new, as it can often give you some cool ideas and directions you never though of.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Jan 7 2012, 01:57 PM
Apprentice Roadie
I am expecting a bill in the mail any day now for all the counseling Ivan and several others have been giving me on pretty much the same thing. laugh.gif The only advice I can give you is to listen to their advice. And no, you are certainly NOT alone! smile.gif Best wishes with it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 7 2012, 02:07 PM
Instructor
Cheers mate, don't worry, we got it covered smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 7 2012, 04:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (enlo22 @ Jan 7 2012, 08:02 AM) *
I don't know if this will come with time or if i'm just not made for it..

There is no such thing as 'not made for it'. I can happily tell you that every single person has the capability.. the only things that can stop us is our own mind. In other words, giving up. Which I don't think you want to do smile.gif

I totally know how you're feeling.. even after 16 yrs of playing I still get times like that.. not sure what to practice, worried I'm not getting any better etc.

The times I feel the happiest with my guitar playing are the times where I let go of any exterior opinions and trust myself on how to practice, whether my technique is correct. It's never let me down so far.. the times when I lose my way is when I get obsessed about other guitar players achievements and abilities.

Use things as inspiration and take people's guidance to help you but ultimately, listen to yourself, your inner voice doesn't lie. When you're onto something good it will tell you. smile.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 7 2012, 05:01 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Same here dood. You are definitely not alone. I moved on to do covers to learn how others play. Learning scales and theory is too boring and while you feel like you have conquered the world, you can't even compose one bar of a song with that knowledge if there is no inspiration to explore. Its just like you know all the ABCD but you can't make up words, if you know all the words, you can't make a sentence but then if you can make a sentence, you can't make a nice story. Its all in your creative self. Theories do nothing. Get around, see what / how others are coming up with melodies, understand phrasing etc. Thats what I am doing.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
enlo22
Jan 7 2012, 08:42 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Didn't quote anyone cause all your replies were great! thanks guys. I never thought of quitting that would feel weird lol as funny as that sounds but just wanted to see if others felt the same way at times. Bens reply was to the spot and made sence i guess it's just how I feel alot of the time. I'll keep on going. Thanks everyone!! \m/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jan 7 2012, 08:57 PM
Instructor
Don't worry, it's normal to occasionally you come up with stagnation in progress, but that period is usually short and then you are going at the next higher level wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 9 2012, 11:00 AM
Learning Roadie
Quantifiable Goals

Find a piece of music want to play but can't. Break it down into the Scales used, the tempo of the piece, and techniques used.

Then practice the scales and give yourself small goals to achieve start at a certain bpm and note down when you can play the scale in 8th notes or 16th notes at that bmp and then increase until you get to the bmp of the piece of music.

Do the same with techniques ie sweep picking or string skipping

Break it something down into it's elements and focus on them, you can break things down even smaller as well. Like Ben has done with Inside/Outside picking

I for instance have found my descending runs are not as strong as my ascending runs so I work more on them, I also have more problems with the fingering of scales on the G and B string so I isolate that part and make an exercise out of it.

Give yourself little milestones to achieve rather than one big one, it's easier to see progression and that's what will motivate you.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 9 2012, 11:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jan 9 2012, 10:00 AM) *
Give yourself little milestones to achieve rather than one big one, it's easier to see progression and that's what will motivate you.

Yes, you said it much better than I could ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 9 2012, 11:11 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (enlo22 @ Jan 7 2012, 09:02 AM) *

One word... REC.
It will keep you motivated, just keep practicing the lessons you like the most, which are close to your current level (no matter what it is). wink.gif
You'll be surprised with the results after just a few lessons smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 9 2012, 03:05 PM
Instructor
It's normal to have this type of feeling in some moments. I agree with the other guys comments. Try to continue having fun and playing the things that you really enjoy. That will keep you playing and improving.
Check out my personal board and my video chats because I'm giving a technique course that will give you tools and exercises to play faster.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Jan 9 2012, 03:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
Learn a song that you always have wanted to learn.
I learned one by ear recently.

And now I am getting help here on GMC learning another one. Good learning experience.
Very fun too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 9 2012, 04:59 PM
Instructor
Let me share this cool article about this...

http://learningguitarnow.com/blog/blues-gu...get-any-better/

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:17 AM