2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Musical Conflict With Significant Others, another Spiderusalem poll.
Have you....
Dated/Married someone who liked music you hated (or strongly disliked)?
Yes....and its terrible when they get to pick what to play! [ 6 ] ** [16.67%]
Yes, and I do my best to tolerate it.. [ 12 ] ** [33.33%]
Yes, and I actually learned to like their music... [ 3 ] ** [8.33%]
No, because music is that important to me. [ 3 ] ** [8.33%]
No. Just no. [ 9 ] ** [25.00%]
I like all music (including soulless MTV stuff, grindcore, polka, elevator ect. ect) [ 3 ] ** [8.33%]
Played a song by a band you dont like to impress the opposite sex?
Yes....a few times in the past....maybe recently [ 5 ] ** [13.89%]
Yes.......like once and never again. [ 3 ] ** [8.33%]
Not yet, but I would.. [ 7 ] ** [19.44%]
It would take a lot of convincing.... [ 4 ] ** [11.11%]
NO [ 16 ] ** [44.44%]
I like all music, and would have no problem playing anything. [ 1 ] ** [2.78%]
Fought with a significant other over conflicting musical opinions?
No, its kind of a dumb thing to fight over. [ 15 ] ** [41.67%]
No, but I come so close sometimes... [ 7 ] ** [19.44%]
Yes, but just little arguments [ 7 ] ** [19.44%]
Yes. just. Yes. [ 3 ] ** [8.33%]
I've broken up with someone over musical conflict. [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
The key phrase is "Not Yet" [ 4 ] ** [11.11%]
Total Votes: 36
Guests cannot vote 
Spiderusalem
Dec 28 2007, 09:23 AM
GMC:er
So my girlfriend really likes Death Cab for Cutie...... and I really dont. Or atleast, I'm trying not to. I know they're really important to her so I'm atleast giving them a chance. But man, I would be lying if I said that playing the opening riff to one of their songs for the first time was a little painful.

But I'm really trying to see what she see's in them. She's doing the same thing for me. She's coming with me to go see Iron Maiden!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 28 2007, 09:54 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
My wife likes a fairly wide range of music but her main thing is Mariah Carey, shes in the fan club and everything, now personally, although a good singer etc I cant stand it, however, it just wouldnt be fair to ram my music down her throat as she tolerates mine and even likes some of mine, I dont mind really, I`d certainly never fall out with her over it, its just not worth arguing about.

I`d never and have never played anything to impress a girl, most of the girls I`ve dated in the past have liked music on the other side of the spectrum to me and thats been known from the start so theres never been a need, nor would I have bothered.

I have discussions at work with people over different music, I find in the main that most people you can find a "common" ground even if its Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams or Queen (most people like Queen), something like that, I accept that some people dont like my music and my friends etc are sensible enough to know that I dont particularly like their tastes, so we generally find something that we all like, theres normally something, although I would add that its my tastes in general that gets broadened rather than theirs? wink.gif laugh.gif just a pointless thing to argue about I guess, we cant all like the same things or else it`d be boring smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Smells: Dec 28 2007, 09:54 AM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Freddie Fourfing...
Dec 28 2007, 10:30 AM
I suppose that a lot of music appeals to musicians BECAUSE they are musicians; we can appreciate how difficult or innovative something is, for example. Most people just like music that has a catchy hook or lyrics or whatever. My wife has always been a rocker, but when we moved to Kentucky she got int Country music (and still is). After a while I started listening to it too, and there are some damned talented guitarists in country (like Brad Paisley, imo).

Bottom line for me is, if something bizzarre happened to me (like losing limbs) tomorrow and music was no longer there for me, my wife would still be by my side. So I pick my priorities, I guess.

On the other hand, she lets me be me, so it's metal, rock, blues and jazz playing on MY speakers!

Attached Image

--------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit."
ARISTOTLE

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 28 2007, 12:57 PM
Moderation Policy Director
My wife likes rap amongst other things - I just can't get into it and whenever she puts it on it just annoys me. When we drive together, she turns the radio on, puts it on rap, I turn it off again and we continue on our merry way smile.gif

Sometimes I try for a while to put up with it, but man, it is hard. She pretty much feels the same way about a lot of music I am into, so we rarely listen to music in our house ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 28 2007, 01:11 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 28 2007, 11:57 AM) *
so we rarely listen to music in our house ...

Actually thats pretty true of my house too, we certainly dont argue like I said above, but in the main we are both happy coz I generally listen to music on headphones whilst sitting at the PC and shes got her ipod that she sticks on now and then, its a good compromise, it also does away for the need of an expensive hifi system etc smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 28 2007, 05:48 PM
Learning Roadie
I voted "I like all music (including soulless MTV stuff, grindcore, polka, elevator ect. ect)", "NO" and "No, but I come so close sometimes..." tongue.gif

This is because for the first one, its mostly true. I can listen to all kinds of music and i have friends who like all kinds. But then theres just really bad music. And I would never play really bad music.

I just have this philosophy that if you're going to be subjected to something, its to your benefit to learn to enjoy it. So since I'm bound to hear "lesser" music all the time, I've learned to enjoy a lot of it because a lot of it has catchy hooks etc. I try not to look past that. It's not tolerating it, I really attempt to enjoy it tongue.gif Sometimes it doesn't work though heh.

So then the next part, even though I can learn to enjoy stuff, I won't play something unless I really like it, here i have the option to only create good music (or at least try to), so I try to stick to that.

Conflicts... sometimes I really just wanna smack some people who only listen to one little limited range of music that isn't that good. That is okay, but then they start bashing what I consider to be really good music. Just a matter of i'll tolerate and try to enjoy your music, so you do the same for me.

But I think some of the undesirables above are more or less inevitable tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Dec 28 2007, 07:35 PM
I can listen to anything.. and i love playing really simple boaring music because lets face it.. playing anything live with a band is fun! ive never not had fun on stage smile.gif.. as for significant others and music.. my gf is a punk fiend.. but w/e smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Dec 28 2007, 09:12 PM
I listen to all types of music, I don't mind. But I prefer rock and metal smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 29 2007, 02:43 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
All the women ive dated have actually liked my music, maybe not all of it, never dated a woman who shared my passion for death metal.

Never played a song to impress someone, i think its the wrong approach. I have, however, been playing and someone walked into the room, and they complimented me on my playing.

Ive had arguments about Music, just little ones, and i don't mean to brag, but i won all of them cool.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 29 2007, 03:57 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Dec 28 2007, 08:43 PM) *
Ive had arguments about Music, just little ones, and i don't mean to brag, but i won all of them cool.gif

You'll find out one day that if you win an argument with your wife or girlfriend, you have actually lost ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Freddie Fourfing...
Dec 29 2007, 04:37 AM
...if you win an argument with your wife or girlfriend, you have actually lost ...

AMEN, Brother!

--------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit."
ARISTOTLE

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Dec 29 2007, 04:41 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Dec 28 2007, 05:43 PM) *
All the women ive dated have actually liked my music, maybe not all of it, never dated a woman who shared my passion for death metal.

I dont think I would want to date a woman that was passionate about death metal. Interesting story though, the last time I saw Iron Maiden (2005 I think) me and my ex were standing close to this girl who was decked out in colorful hip-hop apparel. Roca-wear or something from her head to toe, totally ghetto....at ozzfest... needless to say she looked a little out of place. Anyway, when Maiden gets on, I notice that she's singing along to ALL THE SONGS! She knew it all! and she was getting into it and she looked like she was having as much fun as I was, maybe more =P. and despite this incredible lesson, I still tend to judge books by their covers laugh.gif

I wouldn't mind dating someone like that =p

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 28 2007, 06:57 PM) *
You'll find out one day that if you win an argument with your wife or girlfriend, you have actually lost ...

So true Andrew. You can only "win" so many until it starts to backfire unsure.gif

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Dec 29 2007, 04:41 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 28 2007, 08:57 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 29 2007, 05:22 AM

Oh, don't worry, you do know by "Winning" i mean i proved my point, she got pissed, and she claimed victory and i ended up getting the silent treatment for a few days.

+Quote Post
swingline
Dec 29 2007, 05:57 AM

At least you win one, I usually lose both. dry.gif

My girlfriend listens to Panic at the Disco and AFI, needless to say i want be deaf half the time.

This post has been edited by swingline: Dec 29 2007, 06:00 AM

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
RobM
Dec 29 2007, 06:54 AM
QUOTE (Spiderusalem @ Dec 28 2007, 03:23 AM) *
So my girlfriend really likes Death Cab for Cutie...... and I really dont. Or atleast, I'm trying not to. I know they're really important to her so I'm atleast giving them a chance. But man, I would be lying if I said that playing the opening riff to one of their songs for the first time was a little painful.

But I'm really trying to see what she see's in them. She's doing the same thing for me. She's coming with me to go see Iron Maiden!

I live in a house with 4 others, my wife and 3 children. My wife's 1st love is country music, then she likes hip hop(some of it) and pop. My kids like hip hop, rap and my oldest also likes punk rock. I'm a classical rocker and I also like metal and heavy metal. In my area my radio station is 94.1, My Family's are:
98.1(country), 92.3(pop), 95.5(punk) & 106.3(hip hop & rap). usually the only time we listen to the radio is in the car. I'm usually driving so it's usually on my radio station. As time goes on though the older I get the more I'm letting my wife have her way with little things like music in the car, burning her smelly candles around the house etc..

To my wifes credit she has gone to see Aerosmith, and Kiss with me, but recently refused to go to see Kid Rock and Van Halen. I passed on the Kid Rock tix but couldn't pass on the Van Halen tix. It's been so long since I've seen them and who knows when they will tour again, lol.

To my credit I've offered to go see Toby Keith with her but she passed. I also don't immediately turn the radio off of country every time I get into the van. Call me a slug or whatever but country just makes me want to go to a bar, get drunk and start a fight. Hip Hop or Rap OTOH just makes me cringe and my finger just finds the channel button as fast as it can so I can turn to something else. Of course my kids hate it but I try to explain how much I dislike it and how rap isn't really music any way, lol.

In the past we have had simple little tifs over the radio but nothing severe, that would be wasting a good fight over something silly.

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 28 2007, 09:57 PM) *

Could not have said it better myself. A wise husband will let his wife win all arguments, it's how they win that really matters smile.gif.

This post has been edited by RobM: Dec 29 2007, 06:58 AM

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 29 2007, 07:05 AM
"You Can Either Be Right, Or You Can Be Happy"

--Ralphie May

+Quote Post
Spreedmaster
Dec 29 2007, 07:16 AM
QUOTE (RobM @ Dec 29 2007, 05:54 AM) *
I live in a house with 4 others, my wife and 3 children. My wife's 1st love is country music, then she likes hip hop(some of it) and pop. My kids like hip hop, rap and my oldest also likes punk rock. I'm a classical rocker and I also like metal and heavy metal. In my area my radio station is 94.1, My Family's are:
98.1(country), 92.3(pop), 95.5(punk) & 106.3(hip hop & rap). usually the only time we listen to the radio is in the car. I'm usually driving so it's usually on my radio station. As time goes on though the older I get the more I'm letting my wife have her way with little things like music in the car, burning her smelly candles around the house etc..

To my wifes credit she has gone to see Aerosmith, and Kiss with me, but recently refused to go to see Kid Rock and Van Halen. I passed on the Kid Rock tix but couldn't pass on the Van Halen tix. It's been so long since I've seen them and who knows when they will tour again, lol.

To my credit I've offered to go see Toby Keith with her but she passed. I also don't immediately turn the radio off of country every time I get into the van. Call me a slug or whatever but country just makes me want to go to a bar, get drunk and start a fight. Hip Hop or Rap OTOH just makes me cringe and my finger just finds the channel button as fast as it can so I can turn to something else. Of course my kids hate it but I try to explain how much I dislike it and how rap isn't really music any way, lol.

In the past we have had simple little tifs over the radio but nothing severe, that would be wasting a good fight over something silly.
Could not have said it better myself. A wise husband will let his wife win all arguments, it's how they win that really matters smile.gif.

I,m in pretty much the same situation! But I live in a house with my girlfriend, a female friend and a male friend and his boyfriend. My girlfriend likes a wide range of music which varies from disturbed to aiden to christina aguilera. The gays love madonna and some dreary ass moany guy called rufus wayneright [this guy REALLY sucks, i mean REALLY REALLY SUCKS!!!]. Myself I love all shades of metal from black to white [someone JUST has to invent white metal!] My female friend loves granny music and bad pop. Eventually this leads to aural warfare! Whoever has the loudest speaers wins, and it sounds like a mess.

Thankfully nobody I know even acknowledges rap asa form of music!

--------------------
''It is not herasy, and I will not repent''

Guitars:B.C. Rich WMD SOB with EMG 81/85s and Afterburner
B.C. Rich green acrylic ice Mockingbird with Rockfield Mafia/Fat ass
Black Peavy Rotor EX
ESP LTD DV200 with an irongear hammerhead in the bridge

Gear: Marshall MG15DFX
POD 2.0
Dunlop crybaby
Behringer UM300
Danelectro FAB metal
Biyang DS-7
Behringer EQ700

+Quote Post
swingline
Dec 29 2007, 07:42 AM
White metal sounds interesting. laugh.gif

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Dec 29 2007, 08:33 AM
Instructor
Once I thought that the music was the most important thin in my girl-relationship, but then I have a date with a girl who loves metal (like me) she become my girlfriend during 8 months and then I got another conclusion.
There are lot of friends to talk about music, lot of forums and it's not necesary that your girlfriend enjoy the same music of you, the most importat is that you feel confortable with she and the most important ever is that you love this person and this person loves you.

BTW Nowadays a have another girlfriend who likes similar music like I love tongue.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd April 2024 - 03:24 PM