Repertoire
sted
Jun 16 2009, 03:09 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey guys,

I am currently rehearsing every night to try and get my "pub gig" repertoire to a point where i can start going out gigging, I will be on my own at first with decent backing tracks (Small venues need a licence for more than a duo which limits my options before i start!) I was wondering how many songs do I need seriously nailed for a classic pub gig?

My set list I am practicing up to now is as follows, any suggestions for ordering of tracks and additional tracks would be welcome though I am conscious not to include too many blues numbers as i have to appeal to mainstream audiences, hence the classic rock tracks! These tracks have relatively simple rhythm with decent solos as I will be singing and playing them myself huh.gif

1. While my guitar gently weeps-Beatles/George Harrison
2. Gravity-John Mayer
3. Red House - Jimi Hendrix
4. Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix
5. Hotel California - Eagles
6. How Blue can you get - BB king version
7. The sky is cryin - SRV
8. Comfortably numb (What else!)

Cheers!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 16 2009, 05:23 PM
Instructor
1. Hotel California - Eagles
2. Gravity-John Mayer
3. Red House - Jimi Hendrix
4. Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix
5. While my guitar gently weeps-Beatles/George Harrison
6. How Blue can you get - BB king version
7. Comfortably numb (What else!)
8. The sky is cryin - SRV

Possibly something like this?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jun 16 2009, 05:24 PM
GMC:er
I wouldn't open with Hotel California. The pub crowds love that song, but it is a little down tempo and best reserved for the higher blood-alcohol levels of the middle of your set.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jun 16 2009, 05:54 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Jun 16 2009, 06:24 PM) *
I wouldn't open with Hotel California. The pub crowds love that song, but it is a little down tempo and best reserved for the higher blood-alcohol levels of the middle of your set.

Yeah, have the same feeling personally as well. I think the first song should be definitely a strong song which gives the audience a reason to get more excited. Maybe that's what I am missing a bit in your current setlist: most songs are relatively slow (which is fine), and I would take a couple of songs as well which get's the crowd moving a bit (a funky song or so wink.gif ).

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jun 16 2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah. Like Roger is saying, a lone guy with a guitar shouldn't open with Hotel California. The Eagles themselves, can.

What about something a little bit rockish, like Hard to Handle? It's upbeat and I think it's not too challenging. The earliest rendition of it that I heard was Pigpen-era Grateful Dead, and sorta blues-rock.

--------------------

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jun 16 2009, 06:01 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Jun 16 2009, 06:58 PM) *
Yeah. Like Roger is saying, a lone guy with a guitar shouldn't open with Hotel California. The Eagles themselves, can.

What about something a little bit rockish, like Hard to Handle? It's upbeat and I think it's not too challenging. The earliest rendition of it that I heard was Pigpen-era Grateful Dead, and sorta blues-rock.

Yeah that's kinda swinging indeed smile.gif .

Btw this post made me think that I could do a similar thing, as it seems I can sing a bit as well (based on what others are saying though tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jun 16 2009, 06:02 PM

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 16 2009, 07:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
yeah, I like the Black Crows version of that song, I am quite restricted in what I can play as it has to have a good available backing track, simple rhythm during the singing and a cool solo, but this may fit the bill if the backing track is out there, thanks for the input guys, any ideas welcome!

@ Roger: Hey man, if I can do it I'm sure you can!!

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Jun 16 2009, 08:34 PM
Instructor
I would suggest you some Bob Dylan and Neil Young songs - Quite simple and always well appreciated for pub gigs.
I don't know in the UK, but here we need to play between 2h - 2h30 (sometimes more...). It's about 35/40 songs !

--------------------

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jun 16 2009, 08:44 PM
QUOTE (Stephane Lucarelli @ Jun 16 2009, 02:34 PM) *
I would suggest you some Bob Dylan and Neil Young songs - Quite simple and always well appreciated for pub gigs.
I don't know in the UK, but here we need to play between 2h - 2h30 (sometimes more...). It's about 35/40 songs !

It's a little depressing if you listen to the lyrics but the tune seems like it's always a crowd pleaser & singalong: Like a Rolling Stone lets you really belt it out if you want.

As for Neil Young, I guess Rockin' in the Free World is the right energy but ... I dunno, sounded a bit more American than I'd endorse for a british pub crowd, y'know? Might as well play Springsteen's Born in the USA at that point? biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jun 16 2009, 08:50 PM
I would switch Gravity with Little Wing, and I think you have a tight set list.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Jun 16 2009, 09:20 PM
awesome set list! Although i really want to see nothing else matters by metallica in there wink.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 16 2009, 11:25 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Stephane Lucarelli @ Jun 16 2009, 09:34 PM) *

Bob Dylan and Neil Young, for sure! I guess the number of songs is right, maybe a little less like closer to 30. Problem is when people start requesting songs wink.gif
My buddy who used to play pubs on acoustic never bothered to learn the songs but only the lyrics. Hundereds of lyrics. Then he had a good feeling on how the song went and picked it out by heart, faked it so to speak.

I'd suggest (no order)
Heart of gold
The Joker
Cowboy song
Dancing in the moonlight (is that the title, Lizzy?)
A couple CCR, Bad moon rising, Who stopped the rain, Fortunate Son

A a couple you can't enter stage without wink.gif No joke!
The tavern (see my sig - Those were the days)
The Boxer

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 17 2009, 10:06 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Jun 16 2009, 08:44 PM) *
As for Neil Young, I guess Rockin' in the Free World is the right energy but ... I dunno, sounded a bit more American than I'd endorse for a british pub crowd, y'know? Might as well play Springsteen's Born in the USA at that point? biggrin.gif

Hmmmm... I dont know any Neil Young songs but I'll check em out, I dont mind Dylan but it would have to be one of the more upbeat numbers

QUOTE (Martin la guitarra @ Jun 16 2009, 09:20 PM) *
awesome set list! Although i really want to see nothing else matters by metallica in there wink.gif

laugh.gif I can just see the looks on their faces!! I would consider it actually but its a bit long and the solo is quite raucous too, thanks for the input though Martin!

I found a decent backing for the Black Crowes Hard to Handle and the blues scale sounds great over the solo, perfect for me! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Paiva
Jun 17 2009, 10:20 AM
Layla or Cocaine?

There is this guy thats usually does lots of pub gigs and he's my friend what he does is he starts with acoustic where he plays wish you were here, hotel california, to be with you and stuff like that. Then he pickups up the electric guitar and plays van halen, led zeppelin (wholle lotta love is a good one to learn), whitesnake, deep purple (playing smoke on the water is always good) etc

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Antonio Pinto de Carvalho Classical Guitar
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:
Epiphone Studio 10s combo
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe!!!!!!!!!!

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

2nd song :) Please go check it and post something ;) (again link below)

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 17 2009, 10:30 AM
Learning Rock Star
Wish You Were Here is a definite addition, I cant beleive i didnt think of this as i've played it for years too!! Cheers Paiva!
I've got a backing for cocaine but it just didnt float my boat, maybe I'll give it another listen.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 17 2009, 11:41 AM
Instructor
Almost all the songs on the lists are a bit slower (it doesn't mean they are not good! smile.gif ). I recommend Purple Haze for the beginning of the set, or perhaps Another Brick In The Wall.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 17 2009, 07:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hmmm... Purple haze is good, I actually know another brick in the wall rhythm and solo and have the backing but the vocal is very flat and droning so I discounted it, maybe I'll rethink it.

I decided to give these a try as well:

Lynard Skynard: Freebird; Dont know the slide bit yet or what tuning its in but the backing is quite good and at 9 mins its a rocking track!

Lynard Skynard: Sweet Home alabama: Started to learn this a few months back but got taken over with other stuff

Free: Alright now: shouldnt be too difficult by the sounds of it!

GnR: Live and Let die: No way can I do most of Slash's stuff but this is fairly easy, has a vintage beatles angle (Great for Merseyside!) and sounds killer.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 17 2009, 08:42 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Maybe you can swap in something like :

1. James Brown - Sex machine
2. RHCP - Otherside
3. Nickleback - How you remind me
4. REM - Loosing my religion
5. Scorpions - Rock you like a hurricane
6. Mustang Sally (I don't know the author - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustang_Sally_(song) )
7. Oasis - Wonderwall

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 17 2009, 09:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jun 17 2009, 08:42 PM) *
Maybe you can swap in something like :

1. James Brown - Sex machine
2. RHCP - Otherside
3. Nickleback - How you remind me
4. REM - Loosing my religion
5. Scorpions - Rock you like a hurricane
6. Mustang Sally (I don't know the author - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustang_Sally_(song) )
7. Oasis - Wonderwall

I was trying to keep a rock/blues influence as there is no one doing that sort of thing at the moment, my mate is a singer and he does a lot of these songs so they are good popular choices but I was aiming for something a bit different and guitar orientated.
As for James Brown I just cant picture myself "Doing a James" ina local pub laugh.gif I think my wife would divorce me!!

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Jun 18 2009, 12:59 PM
Instructor
The more repertoire you have the better!

Hotel California is always a crowd pleaser smile.gif I double time the arpeggio solo second time round at the end of the song. It always adds a bit of tempo, excitement and speed to the song. From my experience works anywhere through the night.

Besides for great suggestions already mentioned here's some more that work well:

GNR - Sweet child o mine
Bon Jovi - It's my life, Living on a Payer
ACDC - Highway to hell, thunderstruck
Incubus - Drive
Def Leppard - Pour some sugar on me
Van Halen - You really got me
Reef - Place your hands
Michael Jackson - Beat it

That's all i can think of off the top of my head right now tongue.gif

Hope it helps!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:32 PM