> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 15 2015, 07:13 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, I'm sorry about missing the Argentinian food! Your life will change when you taste it. tongue.gif But it's cool to know that the concert has been amazing! Both songs that you shared here are really nice. I really appreciate that you shared them with lyrics here. It's beautiful when music and songs has those deep meanings. I particularly love the one called "Resurrection", and I can't say that I had tears watching the video but I've been very close. Music is wonderful. smile.gif

Your take on the pop rock is definitely a step forward. The whole things is sounding good and you already noticed the things that you can work to improve this one. Be careful with that bend at 00:42. When you are playing a solo, you have many things in mind and that's why you can miss some important ones like your tuning. This will change with experience and when you feel more comfortable with your playing and technique.

The reason why your bends on E string has not enough sustain can be:

-Your tone: Maybe you don't have a tone with enough sustain, or you have a noise gate that is killing it.
- Your guitar: it can be a problem related to calibration and frets.
- Your fingers: Maybe you are not doing a strong vibrato or you are muting the note to early with any part of your hands.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 15 2015, 07:56 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

The Reef song just hits me somewhere and the live version that I saw blew my heart out. I've never been a big fan and I had actually forgotten I had the album with "Consideration" on rolleyes.gif
"Resurrection Day" probably strikes a chord with me because I lost three close family members to cancer over a two year period, also I've been listening to and going to gigs of Thunder for around 25 years, I feel like I know them, Harry the drummer is on my Facebook friends too.

I probably won't record tonight, I need to work on those high E bends. Speak soon.

Here's another classic Thunder for you. Lyrics below. I think you'll like this one, listen to it all though, it does change wink.gif

Low Life In High Places

Mama tell your children not to go
Down to the city where the desperate people go
And mama don't you let them stray
They won't find piece of mind in such a lonely place

Wannabes and losers all trying to get a break
They don't give a damn they'll do whatever it takes
If they climb the ladder they get to play for higher stakes
That's why there's low life in high places

Mama things have changed since you were young
When you scream in the dead of night
Now no one ever comes
And the poor man, he's cast as the villain and the thief
See him down on the street begging for enough to eat

Waiting on the corner, I saw her waiting for the man
When the limo pulled up I saw what was changing hands
I should've tried to warn her and make her understand
There is low life in high places

There is low life like you never even knew
There is low life and it lives in me and you
But we don't all let it through

Don't you let 'em go, you've got to have some pity
Don't you let 'em go
You've got to keep 'em away from the big bad city

Solo

Waiting on the corner, I saw her waiting for the man
When the limo pulled up I saw what was changing hands
I should've tried to warn her and make her understand

Mama tell your children not to go
Down to the city where the desperate people go
And mama don't you let them stray
They won't find piece of mind in such a lonely place

Cheers

Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 15 2015, 08:07 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 15 2015, 10:13 PM
OK, I managed to record a video as you said I should to overcome nerves etc. There are many mistakes especially after the 00:50 mark whcih is where I've been struggling anyway and the REC button made it worse. Hopefully you can see why my high E bends aren't singing. I've just had this guitar setup so it shouldn't be the guitar.

Cheers Gab

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 16 2015, 03:20 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, thanks for this new video! It's important to keep on recording this kind of videos to start feeling more comfortable while you record. Let's make this a normal things for you!

I can say that the main things to improve on this take at this point are bending and vibrato. You are not reaching the correct pitches when you bend and you are not adding vibrato on them, and when you play vibrato on other notes, it's not consistent. I think that your E string bends are short because of this two reasons, your bending is weak and you are not adding vibrato on it to make it last more. When you reach the higher pitch, your finger starts to do less strength and the note dies. How to solve it? Practice!

Let's add this two exercises into your diary practice:

The first exercise from this video:

and this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/

You don't have to learn the whole thing at once, but start working on some parts diary.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 16 2015, 03:35 PM
Thanks Gab,
I didn't notice the instructor applying vibrato on the big bends so I didn't do it. I will practise tonight and every night. The bending exercise i do with my tuner is pretty much the same as the Satch exercise so I will continue to do that and I will also add Ben's lesson, then I will practise the solo.
Here is my first attempt at the vibrato lesson. I find I have to put a finger on the B string because my vibrato hand keeps catching it and basically plucking it. Is this normal?

Can we look at another chord lesson please. I'm finding that the current one, (Ben's Power Chord Shifting) is not pulling me in for some reason.
How do you like "Low Life In High Places"?
Cheers
Speak soon
Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 16 2015, 10:02 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 17 2015, 01:24 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, thanks for the new video. It's a good first step. You need to continue working on this two vibrato rhythms to get the correct pitch of the bends done. When you play the slower one, you hit a higher pitch that you should, and when you do the faster, you hit a lower pitch so you have to calibrate both. Playing along with the original lesson can help to compare the pitches.

I liked "Low Life In High Places", it also creates that kind of melancholy and let's us thinking after a heard. Once again nice music with a deep message. Good stuff!

About Power chords lessons, what about one of these?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The-Hives-Style/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Fu-Manchu-Style/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 17 2015, 02:18 PM
Thanks Gab,
I know my mechanics need work but I think my biggest problem area is my ear. When I used to try and use TAB books, sometimes I would find an error in the TAB because I knew it didn't sound right BUT, I struggled to find the correct note for some reason. I can't explain that but it's how it works with me.
I will work hard with the time I have. I have a blister on my middle finger tip from last night's practice of Ben's Odyssey biggrin.gif
I like both of those new rhythm lessons, much funkier than the power chord lessons.
Cheers
Phil

Update:
Not had much time tonight, worked until 20:30. Had a little go at the FuManchu piece, intro is trickier than it sounds as the C isn't at a regular space ohmy.gif
WIll do everything tomorrow night and get a video to you. Hopefully this blister on my middle finger won't burst. I think what has caused it is the downward vibrato that Ben uses. I always go upward so I am using a different part of my finger, it's bloody sore blink.gif

Cheers
Phil

P.S This is one guitar intro I love, I love the snappy tone of it, very lively.

Oh place your hands, on my hope,
Run your fingers through my soul,
And the way that I feel right now,
Oh lord it may go.

So place your hands, on my hope,
Run your fingers through my soul,
And the way that we feel right now,
Oh lord it may go.

Put your hands on, put your hands on. (x4)

You know you cannot hide, from what’s inside,
You know you cannot hide, from what’s inside.
So I ask of you to help me through,
I ask of you this thing to do.

Put your hands on, put your hands on. (x2)

So lay me down, for a while,
Join my body with my mind,
And I cried at the common one,
For weeks after he died.

Put your hands on, put your hands on. (x4)

And the way that we feel right now,
Oh lord it may go.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 17 2015, 10:03 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 18 2015, 01:23 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Thanks for the update. I'll wait for the new video! smile.gif

The guitar work on that song is really catchy and tasty. I like that intro idea as well as the simple but groovy and effective guitar solo. Interesting!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 20 2015, 10:26 PM
Hello Gab,

I don't know what happened but I posted two videos last night, I've just checked as you haven't commented and for some crazy reason the post isn't there.

One thing I want to ask, is it ok to post music videos here? I post them to give you an insight into what I like for when you are choosing lessons for me, if they introduce new music to you then that is a bonus but, if you would rather me not post them I won't.

Anyway, here are the videos.

I don't think the tone is very good on this one, this guitar has P90 pickups, not good for a clean tone I have just found out. I'm wondering if I would get more sustain on the bends if I went through my amp instead of Amplitube???

Not practised much tonight, went out for a meal with my wife at a local eatery within walking distance and bumped into some old friends smile.gif Much time was spent talking about the old days and much ale was poured down my throat tongue.gif

Back tomorrow.

\m/

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 21 2015, 02:38 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Thanks for this new update!

Great to see you working hard. These videos show that you are really practicing and also that there is more work to do on many things related to technique, timing and dynamics. "Rock Pop Solo" is excellent to note what things you need to improve and also with the pass of days and takes we will be able to note your progress and how the most "technical exercises" affect your playing.

The vibrato lesson has many pitch issues that need to be polished and this is noted also on the rock solo lesson in which your vibrato is not consistent and your bending is not precise.

I also note some timing issues on the rock pop lesson as it happens with the last lick, and also that your alternate picking could be more defined so we have a lot of work to do. But don't worry, you are on the right track. wink.gif

About sharing music here, I really enjoy it! Keep it happening! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 21 2015, 03:13 PM
Thanks Gab,
I am slowly learning that it doesn't matter how long a lesson takes to complete because, as long as the student doesn't get bored with it, there are many many areas that are slowly improving. It's developing skills within the lesson that will help in other lessons.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say wink.gif

I think my mechanical skills will improve quicker than my ear but slowly does it eh?

OK, tonight I had my first go at the new collab. Below is my attempt, I like some parts but 90% of it I don't like. I like from 00:37 to 1:00, after that I tried to play softly with the fade out. The beginning isn't very strong at all.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/eye-opener-21032015

Here is a song I like, someone tried to teach me this intro but I couldn't get it.

One night, downtown, young girl, head down
Walked in, sat down beside me
One look was enough, and this boy was in love
The cold sweat was burning up inside me
Chorus:
You're not shy like a little girl, you don't cry like a kissin' doll
Little Jeany was just too much, she said, baby baby, look but don't touch
She got up and walked by, a little teaser with one thing on her mind
The jukebox at number twenty-five
Next thing that I knew, she was dancing on the bar
Twistin' on and a-shakin', lookin' like a movie star
Hot sticky stuff and close enough to touch
(chorus)
(Solo)
(chorus)
And this is what she said to me, she said baby baby baby, baby baby baby
Baby baby baby, baby baby baby baby baby baby
Baby baby baby, baby baby baby, she said baby baby baby
Baby baby baby baby baby baby
(Baby baby baby) Look but don't touch
(Baby baby baby) Look but don't touch me
(Look but don't touch) Look but don't touch
(Look but don't touch) Look but don't touch me
(Look but don't touch) Look but don't touch
(Look but don't touch) Touch me, no no no
Look but don't touch me, no
Don't touch my legs, don't touch my hips
Don't touch my ass, don't touch my lips
Don't touch me there, don't [show a hair]
Don't touch my cheeks, don't touch me there, there, there, and there
Don't touch me there, don't touch me there, no no no, ow...

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 21 2015, 10:00 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 22 2015, 09:47 PM
Hello Gab,

Please read post above so you don't miss it. wink.gif

Ok here is what I did tonight.

19:15-19:30 Bending to pitch.
I actually managed to get to within 5 cents on some notes tonight, others were way off. For some reason I had a lot of success on the D played on the G string and bending up from the C and C#.
I don’t know why but when playing a piece it’s much much harder, maybe because of so much to think about. blink.gif

19:30-19:45 Ben’s Vibrato Oddysey.
Still struggling. Still choking notes, it must be me because it’s not all the time. unsure.gif

19:45-20:15 Rock Pop Solo practise.
Still struggling with the last few bars. Is there a technique lesson that will help with these? (You mentioned my alternate picking needs work). On the bends, I actually notice that they aren’t to pitch while I'm playing them now, whereas before I only noticed when I listened to the play back, so there is some improvement. I find I don’t have time to adjust the bend while I’m playing. Hopefully I will be able to go straight to pitch with more practise.

20:15-20:30 Rock Pop Solo video takes.
Took lots of takes to manage to get the last two or three bars anywhere near rolleyes.gif .

20:30-20:40 Creating video and uploading to You Tube

20:40-20:55 Collab time.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 23 2015, 03:54 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, thanks for the video and detailed descriptions.

I note that there is something related the way your bend and do vibrato that could be improved and that will help you to feel more comfortable with both techniques. I'm sure that you know it, and that you do it when you practice the techniques isolated but when you are playing the lesson I note that in many cases you don't. I'm talking about the use of other fingers (mostly the closer one/s) of your left hand to help the one that is doing the vibrato and/or bend. Just check the first seconds and you'll note that poor finger 1 is doing the work alone (00:05, 00:07). Please try to improve this.

About alternate picking, yes! There are lessons that will make you train this technique.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hand-Synch/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-Workout-2/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 23 2015, 04:42 PM
Thanks Gab,

I will look at those lessons. I need to restructure my diary as I am getting too much to do with the time I have in one sitting. I think I need to alternate some things. What do you recommend?

I do actually use more than one finger when practicing in isolation but when it comes to playing the Rock Pop solo it seems to get forgotten sad.gif

Tonight's diary. (I am giving you this so you can maybe come up with a schedule for me if that's ok with you)

19:15-19:30 Bending to pitch.
Seem to be a bit better tonight. I think some of it is actually remembering the note sound. If I have a reference note droning on I can match it fairly quickly but when I play a note then stop it to play the bend I don’t seem to remember quite what it is. I got to within 10 cents on a lot tonight but some were still way off.

19:30-19:50 Ben’s Picking hand basics
Experimented with new guitar stool, seems better than sitting in a chair, halfway between sitting and standing. Videoed part one and two. Aim to learn the whole piece and play along with Ben.
Pt1

Pt2

19:55-20:30 Fun Manchu Lesson
Getting better at part one. Videoed it.

20:35-21.00 Creating video and uploading to You Tube/GMC. Had trouble with Movie Maker reporting corrupt sound files even though they were fine.

21:00-21:10 Collab time. Trying to tune tone. Then I will use the new tone to maybe give me inspiration. It’s now well past my 20:30 deadline for wife time.

Eye Opener Collab. Favourite part is from 00:37-1:00
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/eye-opener-23032015

Thanks Gab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 23 2015, 10:16 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 24 2015, 04:46 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Great stuff!

Your work on alternate picking lesson and Fumanchu is very good. I can only say good things about your playing on both so you are on the right track. Just to check, are you doing some right hand fingers movement when you play alternate picking? Am not sure if you are doing it, but if the answer is yes, you should try to avoid it since the motion should start from your wrist and a bit from your elbow.

About how to structure your practice. Well, at first it's important to avoid trying to cover a lot of things on the same routine so if you feel that the topics are too much we should give some for the future and focus on less things. I don't recommend to wok on different topics each day because I think that our mind and body needs to get familiar/used to what you want to learn and the best way is with diary practice. But there is something that you can do in order to get the most of each day. You can give more importance to a different topic each day, and double its time of practice. This means that you would practice everything every day but you practice more time one topic on each day.

Does it make sense?

The collab take has some cool things happening. I also think that the second half is more interesting and I relate it to the fact that you used more rhythm variations and silences, so that's the road you should take during the whole thing, and also work a bit more with other elements like dynamics, bends, vibrato. Your playing is tasty but you need to give it more life. You sound like "shy" and it can be related to the fact that you don't want to play something wrong... let yourself playing more freely and let's see what happens. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 24 2015, 09:40 PM
Thanks Gab,

Ok, I only got in from work 15 minutes ago, too late to have a proper lesson so I had a go at the collab. I was listening to Home by Satch on the way home.

Came up with this. What do you think? Where can I build on it?

Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/eye-opener-24032015

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 25 2015, 02:36 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, I think that this impro has a cool leit motive that is shown as soon as you start soloing. It's a good starting point to develop a whole idea so I would keep it but I would also explore with more variation on the following parts.

Listen to some songs from this album:

Analyze how Joe makes his phrases evolve through the whole song. In these cases, he has a long song to develop it so he frequently repeats the phrases many times, but always with different endings, intensities, using different octaves, etc. The collab needs has a short backing, so you have to do summarize a bit the ideas. Listen to some of those Satriani songs and imagine what you would do if you are asked to take the best parts of one of those songs and create a 20 seconds solo... just as an experiment...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 25 2015, 10:15 PM
Hello Gab,

I have that album, listened to it on the way home, Joe seems to have twice as many notes in his scale as me laugh.gif I didn't come up with anything just yet.
I've had a decent practice but had to minimise recording due to time.
Picture proof of practice below. Is there anything that can be put on fingertips to stop them squashing in so much? I'm sure this is making my bends harder to do because of the flesh on the fingerboard causing friction, what do you think? I heard that white spirit hardens them.

Hopefully recordings tomorrow. Work is hectic lately so let's hope I don't need to work late.

Cheers Gab

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 26 2015, 03:01 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, yeah, Joe's phrasing is amazing, he can do a lot of things with a few elements. That's exactly what I was talking about. Listen to his playing and notice how he makes his phrasing evolve from phrase to phrase to make his playing entertained and to keep the attention of the listener. I also like his latest albums which are very melodic and interesting. Besides Satriani, there are lots of guitarists to analyze and listen to.

About your tips, trust me, they look really good! This is normal and we have to deal with it in order to get stronger tips that don't hurt anymore. If you cannot continue playing you can play a bit more or what I used to do when the problem become bloody, use bandages. But the best is to let the tips become stronger so the bandages solution is only on extreme cases. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 26 2015, 10:16 PM
Thanks Gab,
I can live with the pain it's just that they seem soft, I thought there might be a chemical to harden them.
ok time was very tight again tonight, work duties I'm afraid. I had a good go at the alternate picking tonight. I tried to not use finger movement as much but it doesn't feel natural doing little movements with my wrist.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:23 AM