2 Pages V   1 2 >  
So Nervous... Any Tips?
Zynex
Jan 30 2009, 10:43 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys!

I have a gig tonight. It is not my first or anything (maybe 8th performance). Normally I wouldnt be very nervous, but this is no normal gig. Its a local band competition. Half my town + friends and my dad are coming to watch us (and 5 other bands) play this evening. Also we will be judged if we are good enough for the next round based on sound, composition, performance and technique. Eventually 8 out of 28 bands will make it to the semi-finals. I cannot even concentrate @ work right now sad.gif. Im really anxious to play, but also very nervous. Im affraid this will affect my playing in a bad way tonight. You guys got any tips to loosen up my mind, and prevent me from making mistakes or getting a blackout on stage hahah?tongue.gif

Greetz,
Zynex

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jan 30 2009, 10:46 AM
Only tip I can give you is to be in the moment smile.gif Don't give a damn about the future consequences, just focus on the fun you're having on stage and nothing will go wrong!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.

+Quote Post
Canis
Jan 30 2009, 10:50 AM
Learning Rock Star
Take your nervous energy and transfer it to pure charismatic energy. It's the best way ^^

Good luck, and rock some serious socks =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
berko
Jan 30 2009, 10:56 AM
The only key to "win" is to be yourself and to show this to both the audience and the jury. What they would want to see tonight is an energetic and confident band that is happy to make their music and happy to present it to anyone who is curious. And it doesn't matter at all if you make mistakes as long as you have a confident look and move around on the stage. Be cool, be yourself and nobody can prevent you from getting into the semifinals.

Oh... and tell us how it went wink.gif (but only after taking a nice shower laugh.gif )

This post has been edited by berko: Jan 30 2009, 10:58 AM

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 30 2009, 11:07 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
When you're on stage just picture yourself naked.... or was it the audience unsure.gif

No really, I think you should get together with the band a couple of hours before the gig, sit down a talk about the gig in a relaxed way. Have fun and don't take it too seriously! If you do up on stage feeling relaxed and with the intention to have fun it will be nothing but fun up there smile.gif

Start with an easy song!!!!!! Gives you a chance to feel the monitors (medhörning) and the stage and just get a bit warmed up before starting for real.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jan 30 2009, 11:07 AM

+Quote Post
Zynex
Jan 30 2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the great tips guys smile.gif. Im feeling more at esae already smile.gif. My band enjoys making music. We can be overly focussed sometimes. But I will definetly try to show how much fun Im having while making music smile.gif.

Gotta calm down..... calm.... down hahaha. Ok that did not help tongue.gif.

@MikeM
Oh dear.... that would not help I think hahaha. I don't wanna picture my friends and dad naked :tongue.gif Cuz they are in the audience too hahaha

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 30 2009, 12:16 PM
Instructor
I'm sure things will go great!
Plus you're not alone, you're with your band mates which makes a huge difference!
Let us know how it went!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 30 2009, 12:21 PM
Instructor
Just relax and try not to think about it too much, I'm sure that it will go smoothly smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 30 2009, 12:49 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Natural to feel nervous, as MickeM said, sit down with your band mates before the gig, have a laugh etc with them and try and relax as much as possible, I`m sure it`ll go just fine, just treat it like any other gig and enjoy yourself smile.gif

Let us know how it all went, good luck smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Zynex
Jan 30 2009, 01:19 PM
Ok great smile.gif. Well that shouldnt be a problem hehe. My band is always in for a good laugh biggrin.gif.

Ik feel confident about tonight cool.gif.

Ill let you guys know how it went. I won't get the results (if my band passed the first round) until next week tho. But I will keep you guys informed about it biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
29a
Jan 30 2009, 01:23 PM
You could just get drunk... You'd probably mess up everything, but it wouldn't bother you biggrin.gif

- Jonas

Edited for language - Smells

This post has been edited by Smells: Jan 30 2009, 01:25 PM

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Zynex
Jan 30 2009, 03:16 PM
QUOTE (29a @ Jan 30 2009, 01:23 PM) *
You could just get drunk... You'd probably mess up everything, but it wouldn't bother you biggrin.gif

- Jonas

Edited for language - Smells

It wouldnt bother me.. until the next day when I wake up tongue.gif hahaha

--------------------

+Quote Post
29a
Jan 30 2009, 03:57 PM
QUOTE (Zynex @ Jan 30 2009, 03:16 PM) *
It wouldnt bother me.. until the next day when I wake up tongue.gif hahaha
No problem! Then you'll just drink another bottle of vodka! blink.gif

- Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 30 2009, 04:13 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Just put on a positive attitude like : " I'm gonna play my best tonight" and think about it whole day smile.gif Competitions bring additional pressure but you will notice that even if you get nervous on stage , that pressure will make you even more concentrated and that you will play even better...So just try to relax with band and think positive thoughts! I'm sure you will do well! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 30 2009, 08:23 PM
Free your mind... dry.gif
Just try not to think about the jury and all those friends.

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jan 31 2009, 12:27 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
You can only do one thing... go on stage and rock the place, give your best and don't worry about anything else. All the other bands will most likely be as nervous as you are in the moment, thats normal, just don't let it take over. Just focus on your songs and your guitar, do your thing and don't worry about the competition, the audience or the other bands, just see it as a normal gig. And forget about drinking, this never helps, you will just play worse.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 31 2009, 05:04 PM
Instructor
How did the gig went mate? smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Feb 1 2009, 12:48 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
yeah, let us hear about the gig.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Zynex
Feb 1 2009, 02:55 PM
Hey guys! So here is a little report on the gig smile.gif.

It was veeery crouded, full house hahah. The gig itself went pretty good. All songs went well, and there were only a few small mistakes, but the audience said they did not hear it at all, so that's great hehe. The performance was not very good... I tried to look up from my guitar, but that only resulted in mistakes most of the time. Some parts were just simple chords, so I took those opportunities to look at the audience. Between the songs we were a bit messy in my opinion. Not mentioning the names of the songs, and playing small bits to get our sound right. I messed up one solo, wich resulted in losing track of were I was in the solo. But luckely I improvised my way out haha.

The reactions of the audience were pretty good. And the cheers were pretty loud after each song smile.gif. People stated that we were original compared to the other bands they had seen this competition. So I hope the judge will let us pass to the next round, so we can work at our stage performance.

Overall Im pretty statisfied smile.gif. People found the music interesting. We now know very well what we need to work on the next time we have a gig. My dad wanted to take pictures but couldn't get through the many people there haha. So Im affraid I dont have anything to show you guys yet. The judge will send a letter to us containing the judges opinions and stuff like that after the competition is over. I will translate it in english and post it here when I get it smile.gif.

Thanks everyone for the tips and support! It really helped alot! As soon as the first song started my nerves were almost completely gone

--------------------

+Quote Post
berko
Feb 1 2009, 03:02 PM
It's great to hear that overall it went really well. IMO even if you don't get to the semi-finals it doesn't even matter because this experience is invaluable and will prove to be much useful later on. Ofc it would be nice if you could rock the house again so thumbs up and tell us about the results! biggrin.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:34 PM