Tapped Harmonics
Nick6373
Jan 31 2015, 09:39 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys, can I get some advice on tapped harmonics please?

I pluck a string then tap right on top of the fret 12 frets above but I don't really get a harmonic sound. It sounds alot more just like the note on that fret. I use my bridge pickup (humbucker) with a bit of distortion.

In this lesson (Eddie Van Halen Style by Muris) the harmonic tapping 21 seconds in actually sounds like a natural harmonic.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...n-style-lesson/

How do you get that nice of a sound?

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 31 2015, 03:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
First of all you need to find a good tone for this. Because these tapped harmonics required to use more gain and highs. As an example with my usual tone I can't do this because I use a little amount of gain in sound. But if I add more gain and highs and I use my bridge pickup, then would work.
Also Muris use his MK guitar which has on bridge Stan Hinesley Rogue pickup. From what I know, these are powerful and aggressive. This is a very good advantage wink.gif

Another thing is that you must hit those harmonics, not on top of the fret, not on the center of the fret, you must hit to the left of the fret. Look very carefully at Muris video and you will see how his finger hit the fret from the left side. Also to make those harmonics to have a clear sound you must have a good precision when you hit but this will come with practice.
Lately I work a lot to achieve this and it's not easy at all. It's funny how simple sounds everything in theory but the way to make it works in practice it's another story smile.gif
Hope my tips will help you. I'm sure the instructors can tell you more about this. I'm still in learning process and I work for harmonics in my mentoring smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 31 2015, 05:13 PM
Instructor
Hi Nick, I'm here just to confirm that Monica's explanations are very tight. The tone is fundamental as well as the part of the fret that you have to tap to get the sound that Muris gets in the lesson. Experiment with both tone (adding an overdrive before the amp would really help!) and the technique and feel free to share a video here to let us give some more specific feedback.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Nick6373
Jan 31 2015, 11:49 PM
Thanks Monica and Gaberiel, I appreciate the help. I'll mess around with my tone a bit and let you guys know the results.

You're supposed to actually tap the string not just brush it, right?

One thing I've noticed is if the palm of my tapping hand is lightly resting against the string I'm tapping I get a harmonic sound. That isn't supposed to be part of the technique is it?

This post has been edited by Nick6373: Feb 1 2015, 08:07 AM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 2 2015, 09:08 AM
Learning Tone Master
It's a quick tap not just brush it. The tap finger bounces lightly. Here you will find the explanations for different types of harmonic techniques including tap harmonic. Maybe this will help you.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3377

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Feb 2 2015, 11:50 AM

+Quote Post
Nick6373
Feb 3 2015, 03:43 AM
Alright thanks Monica!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 6 2015, 06:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
Have you got it figured out, Nick? smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Nick6373
Feb 6 2015, 11:53 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 6 2015, 05:35 PM) *
Have you got it figured out, Nick? smile.gif

I'm not really sure tbh XD. I think so though.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 7 2015, 01:03 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Nick6373 @ Feb 7 2015, 12:53 AM) *
I'm not really sure tbh XD. I think so though.

That's good to hear smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:10 PM