> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Fast Progressive Metal Riffing, Lesson By Diego Budicin
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 3 ] ** [100.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

mhskeide
Mar 11 2016, 12:03 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Original lesson: Fast Progressive Metal Riffing by Diego Budicin

Really struggled with the tone in the intro here. No matter what I tried, scooped/not scooped, gainy/not gainy etc, it sounded a bit trash, so I hope the rest is decent. Also tried some video editing, but my poor macbook air 2011 (with one fan) struggled with just rescaling the video while heating up my entire dorm, so I think a new computer is needed before I get into that stuff!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 12 2016, 10:45 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

your playing is really good on this one. This is a tricky lesson and you play everything tight and smooth. The only thing that doesn't convince me is your tone which doesn't seem the most appropriated for this style. I would try with any other type of amp and EQ that is closer to the original lesson. The current sound is more "stoner" while the lesson is more metal and math core.

Other than that, this is great! Congrats on your playing!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 14 2016, 11:42 AM
Instructor
Hey there! As Gabriel pointed - this is a tricky lesson. I guess it's really hard to play it 100% clean in one take record smile.gif Due to this I think your performance is at the very high level. There are moments were timming is not 100% matched and a few moments where some noise (unwanted notes) break through the mix, but nothing seriously affecting listening experience.

Again will agree on Gabriel's tone note. You know - sometimes when you tweak the tone and simpyl can't get what you want, it's worth to totally replace distortion source - different amp, fx or plug-in. Your tone is focused on the midrange, a little "boxy". For this kind of playing it would sound better while having a little wider frequency response - going deeper (not simply boostig the lows - rather decreasing High Pass Filter (HPF) cut frequency. Same with treble - we don't want to boost the highs to get more harsness, we want to open the tone a little more buy releasing a bit more of higher frequencies.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 18 2016, 01:12 PM
Instructor
Hey there, this is an excellent technical performance. I have nothing to fault in the way of your technique at all. Your picking is very tight yet relaxed and natural and the fretting hand seems very comfortable with its role.

The only thing I would like to hear is you to dig in with a little more force during the riff section at 1:03 and beyond. The palm muting bits really need to chug heavily before each chord.

Some of the chord changes weren't as smooth as others but overall you've got a really high level of playing - well done!

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 21 2016, 06:50 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 9

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:12 AM