Guthrie Govan Modern Bengal Burst
bleez
Apr 5 2014, 02:00 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker

So my mate bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and just brought it round to my place tonight. OMG! what a lovely guitar indeed!
Ive never played a suhr before but this was really amazing to play. When he popped the case and I saw the guitar, I gotta say it really is quite a stunning sight. I wish they weren't so expensive, I'd totally get one.

anyone else played Suhrs much? I was really impressed.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 5 2014, 02:03 AM
Learning Rock Star
My friend have a standard Suhr strat, but I've never actually played it. Maybe some day! I do think the ones like the one you showed there are nicer looking though. I'd love to have one, but there are a few guitars I'd like to own first, but I think...it might be in the top 3 of guitars I'd like.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 5 2014, 06:58 AM
Learning Roadie
Andrei plays Suhrs and if you think they are expensive in the UK, they would be 3x that in Brazil. I'm guessing he makes trips to the US to guy guitar gear!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 5 2014, 11:56 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Apr 5 2014, 07:58 AM) *
Andrei plays Suhrs and if you think they are expensive in the UK, they would be 3x that in Brazil. I'm guessing he makes trips to the US to guy guitar gear!

Guitars need to be cheaper. Suhrs go for around 3000-3500 US dollars used here in Denmark. Just checked it now. I'm...suhr... they used to be cheaper, albeit not by a lot.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 5 2014, 01:48 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 5 2014, 11:56 AM) *
. I'm...suhr... they used to be cheaper, albeit not by a lot.

laugh.gif

I didnt ask how much my mate spent on it but I dont think it would have been any less than 2,500 GBP. They are far too expensive but that said I really was blown away by it. If a couple of grand was not a massive amount of money to me I would get one in a second.

The trem was quite cool as well. I have zero idea how to use a whammy other than going for big dive bombs but it kept in tune not too bad. I'd be tempted to put a locking nut on it but He wasnt keen on that. He's just going to put nut sauce on it ( best name ever LOL )

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 5 2014, 02:30 PM
Learning Roadie
My Tyler was around £2200 in 2008, now to buy one would be around 3K.

I think you do get what you pay for with Suhr and other similar brands. But you don't have to pay that much to get a good guitar.

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Apr 5 2014, 02:31 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 5 2014, 03:15 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Apr 5 2014, 02:30 PM) *
My Tyler was around £2200 in 2008, now to buy one would be around 3K.

I think you do get what you pay for with Suhr and other similar brands. But you don't have to pay that much to get a good guitar.

indeed.
I really like les pauls, and regardless of the negative stuff I often read online about them, Ive played a bunch of them over the years and Ive become a bit of a fanboy where they are concerned. The mid range priced ones are excellent guitars ( I might actually be buying a new one shortly! ) but their price really does seem to rise by quite a lot if you go for a decent flametop finish, I dont know why that is because PRS have some great flametop finishes in their £600 -700 price range.
Im not sure what Im saying...... other than I wish the flametop les pauls were the same price as the flametop PRS' rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 5 2014, 04:12 PM
Learning Roadie
That's because you're looking at the SE range of PRS so that's like looking at an Epiphone LP

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 5 2014, 04:48 PM
GMC:er
That is beautiful! (That GG sig bengal burst is almost $4000.00 new US)
John Suhr guitars are fantastic. 'If' I had a ton of spare cash to spend on a high-end guitar it would probably be a Suhr Tele or Strat style axe.

*One of my favorite quotes ... "Most tone issues are resolved with practice" - John Suhr

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 5 2014, 04:48 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 5 2014, 05:36 PM
As much as I like awesome wood tops, I really don't care about it when out to buy a guitar. The neck though is very important.

I never played a shur but most probably all electronics, diagrams can be found. This also should get %90 of the sound even if the wood on the donor guitar is very bad. It seems like a floating trem.? floating trem.s tend to take the sharpness of the tone as this can be a good or bad thing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 5 2014, 05:48 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 5 2014, 09:36 AM) *
As much as I like awesome wood tops, I really don't care about it when out to buy a guitar. The neck though is very important.

I never played a shur but most probably all electronics, diagrams can be found. This also should get %90 of the sound even if the wood on the donor guitar is very bad. It seems like a floating trem.? floating trem.s tend to take the sharpness of the tone as this can be a good or bad thing.

The electronics/pickups in Suhr guitars are really good but not anything particularly unique or special. Its the build quality and the wood. Even with a solidbody the wood is very important. Even the shape influences tone. What kind of top/cap is on the main body wood has a big influence on the overall sound. A les paul has a maple cap for a reason.

*I put Tele guts and a Tele neck into an ash body jazzmaster - doesn't really sound anything like a telecaster. In this case I know its just the shape of the body that's influencing the tone. Weird because I didn't think it'd be that dramatic.

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 5 2014, 06:09 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Apr 5 2014, 04:12 PM) *
That's because you're looking at the SE range of PRS so that's like looking at an Epiphone LP

good point, there are some flames on the epiphones. Although I think the PRS SE's flames are amongst the nicest Ive seen in their price range. It cant be an overly expensive finish to do ( based on no information! )

QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 5 2014, 04:48 PM) *
*One of my favorite quotes ... "Most tone issues are resolved with practice" - John Suhr

LOL! I like that.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 5 2014, 05:36 PM) *

The trem on it is recessed a little. the neck, although bolt-on is made with Pau Ferro. Id never played on that type before, Its really nice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 7 2014, 09:58 AM
Instructor
I remember being child I though it's only about having single or humbucker to get Strat or LP tone...but like Ken mentioned...everything makes the tone, including scale, pickup placement and type, body shape, wood type and grade...and piece choice wink.gif ...list is long as hell. Also sometimes we get some bad habbits of assigning tone type to a wood name while for example under word "mahogany" we have tons of species that grow in different places on the world. You can have 3 exactly the same guitars with the same hardware and electronics , even the same wood....though...each can sound way different.

Also...I think there is a purpose o Suhr prices - I think we all should value our work if we're sure we're good at it. Why should he take same amount of many than a traditional factory stuff? I think all of us would live better If we could really get the money we think we deserve...of course this is just a dream but...some people are able to, so why they shouldn't? smile.gif

Other example. Not always high price refers to "prestige" of a brand. Sometimes it's just an amount of living cots. Living in Switzerland is expensive as hell. This is why Hufschmid guitars seems to be expensive worldwide. But for Patrick is just an amount of money to pay his bills...

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
Apr 8 2014, 11:43 AM
That's a really beautiful guitar!

I've never personally had the chance to play a Suhr, but a few friends whose opinions I trust on gear have said that the Suhrs they had played were amazingly beautiful, but lacked a real distinct character, for lack of a better term. I guess they felt that tonally it was a little bit of a generic superstrat, despite the beautiful appointments. I'm interested to hear your perspective - did you feel that way when you played it?

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 8 2014, 04:59 PM
Instructor
I've never have the possibility of playing one of these guitars, because these are weird to be found in Argentina but they seem to be very versatile and comfortable to play. As these ones aren't imported officially here, the price to get one could be ridiculous so I prefer to avoid falling in love with one of these... but I have be honest, it look soo beautiful. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 8 2014, 05:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 8 2014, 05:59 PM) *
I've never have the possibility of playing one of these guitars, because these are weird to be found in Argentina but they seem to be very versatile and comfortable to play. As these ones aren't imported officially here, the price to get one could be ridiculous so I prefer to avoid falling in love with one of these... but I have be honest, it look soo beautiful. smile.gif

There seems to be a lot of new gear going around the forum these days, it's so hard not to fall in love with all these guitars.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 8 2014, 10:57 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (SixStringSamurai @ Apr 8 2014, 11:43 AM) *

I've never personally had the chance to play a Suhr, but a few friends whose opinions I trust on gear have said that the Suhrs they had played were amazingly beautiful, but lacked a real distinct character, for lack of a better term. I guess they felt that tonally it was a little bit of a generic superstrat, despite the beautiful appointments. I'm interested to hear your perspective - did you feel that way when you played it?

Well, Im maybe not experienced enough with a lot of different types of guitars to be the best judge but what really stuck in my mind whilst playing it was the array of different tones I could get from the different pickup selections. Im used to 3, bridge, neck or both but with that suhr you have a lot more variations. One of the tones, I think was when the neck pickup was split, it had what I think of as a cool 'strat' sound. Other combinations gave quite distinct tones.
There was one where lowering the volume knob really cleaned up the sound rather than actually getting quieter, it wasnt really until you took the volume to around 3 that it properly got quieter, I thought that was really cool.
I was playing it through a very old marshall valve state amp with the 'contour' knob stuck quite high but even still it came across as being a very versatile guitar.
Its probably too sophisticated for someone like me to properly use it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Huargo
Apr 8 2014, 11:37 PM
Tone Seeker
Ufff very beautiful guitar... too much money... unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 9 2014, 02:09 AM
QUOTE (SixStringSamurai @ Apr 8 2014, 03:43 AM) *

I've played a lot Suhr strat and tele style guitars and that's the last thing I would say about them. As super refined and high-end axes go they seem to me to have the most actual personality. If I had 3 grand to lay out on a 'super' Strat type guitar, a Suhr is what I'd pick hands down. Beauty is in the hands and ears of the beholder.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 9 2014, 08:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 5 2014, 03:48 PM) *
That is beautiful! (That GG sig bengal burst is almost $4000.00 new US)
John Suhr guitars are fantastic. 'If' I had a ton of spare cash to spend on a high-end guitar it would probably be a Suhr Tele or Strat style axe.

I'm with you on this one mate smile.gif What an absolutely stunning guitar - you know what I'd like to see? A comparative review of the Suhr GG and the Charvel GG guitars!

Who had a chance to try that one?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:10 PM