6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Discussion : Gmc Endorsement/validation Program
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 23 2009, 07:43 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Kris, Smells and I have been chatting this week about Dave Walliman's excellent idea of using lesson difficulties as some sort of progress or rank indication at GMC - we threw a few ideas around and have come up with a basic idea, but we wanted to throw this out to you, the members for some open discussion and brainstorming!

The basic idea is that GMC members can earn points by playing a lesson to a competent level - this could start out as a kind of honor thing, but eventually could be made into some sort of validated GMC diploma perhaps, with support in the site to handle this if it takes off.

We basically figured out that there are 2 separate important measures, both based on lesson levels, and completion of individual lessons to a satisfactory level. Adding the number of lessons completed over time will give an indication of keenness and also breadth of experience, whereas averaging them would give a good indication of skill level. We agreed that both were important, and would prevent someone getting to a high level by playing many low level lessons - if I learn 10 level 1 lessons I am not the same player who learns 1 level 10 lesson. The first is more diverse but less skilled - the second is more skilled, less diverse. With the 2 scores in place, this would be better reflected, as player one would have a score of 10 but an average of 1, the second would have a score of 1 but an average of 10. We could call the number of lessons completed the "Experience" and the Average difficulty the "Level"

Player 1 : Ex=10,Lvl=1
Player 2 ; Ex=1,Lvl=10

I actually think that gives a very useful track of what each player has achieved - what do you guys think?

The next step is to decide how to track this - initially we decided to start simply as we always do, with a thread that we could rollup the sores into so that everyone could see how it works out, or perhaps a wiki page. Ultimately this could be added as a part of the site. We would also want to reflect this somehow as a badge or level indication under each student's Avatar.

The next issue is how we adjudicate this - we kicked a couple of ideas around here - a panel of Seniors perhaps, but with some instructor input. I though it would make sense to allow the instructor who wrote the lesson to make a final determination but Kris pointed out that in some cases we no longer have access to the original instructors, so we discussed having an Instructor on the Panel who would perhaps have a veto or something similar. Since this was David's idea originally, perhaps he would help out here wink.gif

Next we need a name for this initiative - so far I have drawn a blank but I haven't spent much time on this - "GMC Validation Program" was my first attempt, Smells came up with "GMC Endorsement Program" - any other ideas out there? Also, this would be a voluntary program as some members would enjoy and benefit from having a structure to work within, other members will dislike this approach, and shouldn't feel compelled to take part.

Finally we need to figure out what all the levels are called - this is the fun part! It would be cool if we could separate the experience and level scores somehow and have a 2 part title that reflects both. Here are some ideas, but I need help with this!

Level (Average Lesson Hardness):

1 - 2 Guitarist
3 - 4 Player
5 - 6 Rocker/Shredder
7 - 8 Guitar Hero
9 - 10 Guitar God

Experience (Number of Completed Lessons):

1 - 20 Learning
21 - 40 Experienced
41 - 60 Accomplished
61 - 80 Very Eclectic
81 - 100 Ultimate

So a guitarist with experience 30 and Level 5 would be an "Experienced Rocker" (or "Experienced Shredder") if they preferred

Experience 65 level, 9 would get you "Very Eclectic Guitar Hero"

Experience 10, level 3 would be "Learning Player"

You get the idea, we probably need to tweak the level ranges and titles but what do you all think overall?

We are looking forward to some good input and lively debate on this - as ever, it is the GMC community that shapes GMC so we want to hear from you!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 23 2009, 07:48 PM
GMC:er
GMC - the first guitar training MMORPG

Gonna grind on some lessons!!!!

smile.gif

Seriously I think its a cool idea. THough it does remind me of gaming stuff, Xbox achievements, etc....

And those are successful, so thats a good thing.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 23 2009, 07:53 PM
Yep, the levels and scores did remind me a little of AD&D wink.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Jan 23 2009, 07:54 PM
I love this idea. If you work it out a bit more, I can see it becoming a great success. The idea behind it works well on so many different levels.

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 23 2009, 07:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
How can you come up with such an awesome idea? Something like this would never come to mind. biggrin.gif This is just brilliant. I support you where I can!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 23 2009, 08:00 PM
GMC Founder
Yes I think the idea of settingbot level & experience is excellent as well! biggrin.gif

Any suggestions on how to fine tune / implement this is idea is very welcome!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 23 2009, 08:01 PM
Yep, the levels and scores did remind me a little of AD&D

Let's limit the number of Guitar Heros and Guitar Gods.

When you have enough points to be a Guitar Hero you must seek out another Guitar Hero and challenge them to a duel !!!!!!

And the Guitar God????

"THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!"

Attached File  highlander.bmp ( 318.71K ) Number of downloads: 215

I'd put Muris' face on it but all I have here at work is MS Paint.....

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 23 2009, 08:05 PM
QUOTE (jer @ Jan 23 2009, 02:01 PM) *
Let's limit the number of Guitar Heros and Guitar Gods.

When you have enough points to be a Guitar Hero you must seek out another Guitar Hero and challenge them to a duel !!!!!!

And the Guitar God????

"THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!"

Attached File  highlander.bmp ( 318.71K ) Number of downloads: 215

I'd put Muris' face on it but all I have here at work is MS Paint.....

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Jan 23 2009, 08:17 PM
Wow. I didn't know that I was an ultimate guitar god! Nahh, kust jokin. I'm a learning shredder. I like this idea!

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
jdriver
Jan 23 2009, 08:22 PM
Just a suggestion.. the words Validation and Endorsement don't seem to apply, possibly a different perception of those words in the US and EU.

Perhaps "Certification Program," as in "Certified by GMC," or something involving a diploma or degree program.

"Certified Guitar God, CGG-GMC, smile.gif

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 23 2009, 08:36 PM
Heh... I'll give you an example from myself - I can accomplish level 6 in rythming and I'm fighting hard with level 2-3 soloing wink.gif

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 23 2009, 08:41 PM
Learning Roadie
This idea sounds great too me, should help to get people more motivated. biggrin.gif

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 23 2009, 08:46 PM
Heh... I'll give you an example from myself - I can accomplish level 6 in rythming and I'm fighting hard with level 2-3 soloing

This brings up an interesting thing.

1 rating or 2? Lead and rhythm?

Or just one balanced rating?

This post has been edited by jer: Jan 23 2009, 08:46 PM

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 23 2009, 08:51 PM
Absolutely terrific idea...I would love to participate.

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 23 2009, 09:02 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
First off, looks like the brainstorming has went well so far between you three. smile.gif I can see a structure starting to develop.

As far as the grading concept, I think these two factors are a great way to find the average of one's abilities as a guitarist within the GMC community, so I think this will work. May need some tweaking here or there, but a good platform to start.

Tracking the progress; How about one board for this program like the SI board. Here, each member who wants to participate could post a link (from there practice agenda?) for their lesson to be graded. Once graded or a "yes or no" applied, then the appropriate score applied to that member. A "pinned" thread could be home to all who are participating and monitored to update the "badge" if one is used.

With the grading process, I really feel this should be done by a panel of Instructors. They are who we all learn from and I think their would be less controversy with their decisions. Just my opinion of course.

As for the name of the program, my first thought, since the grading is based off of the lessons would be "GMC Acknowledgment Program". You are being acknowledged for your accomplishments so...

Names of the different levels, hmm...this is going to require me to think a bit more before I can offer an opinion but I will put some thought into it and let you know any suggestions I can come up with.

I think this is a great idea and will also give the Instructor's more gratification for the effort that they put in. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jan 23 2009, 09:19 PM
Jazz Instructor
Great idea! It will be difficult to organize/set up all this thing, but it will be worth of it. At the end, progress is what GMC is all about!

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 23 2009, 09:19 PM
I want to be a level 8 Bard/Mage with Agent prestige class tongue.gif

That is a terrific idea, I really want to see it work!

laugh.gif

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 23 2009, 09:22 PM
What about you post your take of a lesson with a poll. Only instructors can vote. You have a uniform ranking of your take from like 1 to 5
5 perfect
4 excellent
3 average
2 you need to work harder on it
1 unsatisfactory

this way it isnt bound to any particular instructor - they can vote as they will you know what I mean?

This post has been edited by fatb0t: Jan 23 2009, 09:23 PM

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 23 2009, 09:23 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I really like this idea. Hopefully the powers that be can figure out a way to make it work. Has a lot of potential I think. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Jan 23 2009, 09:24 PM
Learning Tone Master
Love the idea guys smile.gif This would be a huge reward based system for learning and improving. This may be an irrelavent comparison, but console games nowadays with the trophy based systems are a real hit. I think it would work very similar here smile.gif

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:48 AM