Teacher Course, teaching
Osedmen
Dec 3 2015, 08:54 PM
GMC:er

Hi guys, nowadays i thinking about the ability to teach well and i want to ask you if you know methods or courses to be a great guitar teacher.

if you have some links to help me i appreciate it. Thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
.:: Colombian fingerstyle guitar player ::.

.:: Now available on iTunes - Spotify - Amazon - Deezer - rhapsody and more ! ::.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lone-spirit/id1057969440

https://open.spotify.com/album/2SALF0jTOJgZD57nl3A4QO

.:: Did you watch my first videoclip? ::.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IClzXkQI8E
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 3 2015, 10:14 PM
QUOTE (Osedmen @ Dec 3 2015, 07:54 PM) *
Hi guys, nowadays i thinking about the ability to teach well and i want to ask you if you know methods or courses to be a great guitar teacher.

Troy Stetina books seem popular where I live, although I never learned or thought from them biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 3 2015, 10:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Dec 3 2015, 10:48 PM
QUOTE (Osedmen @ Dec 3 2015, 07:54 PM) *

Hi Osedman,

I've been teaching guitar since 1993 and it is my personal belief that you don't have to be a great player to be a great teacher (or I would be without a job biggrin.gif) but what you do need is the ability to read peoples natural abilities with their instrument and teach them accordingly. Try not to use negative words like "that's wrong" or "you made a mistake" instead give only instructions on how to improve what needs improving. I also divide the lesson into theory and practical as I think it is important to be able to at least read and understand time values for rhythm but most importantly to know your scale patterns and as many chords as possible, on the practical side I always ask what they would like to be able to play and I will endeavour to teach them those songs as their self interest is the best motivator for practice. One thing that you will need a lot of is patience as in my experience many of the younger kids don't practice and the parents don't seem to care (maybe it's just the relaxed aussie attitude) so be prepared to go over the same thing week after week but eventually you should be able to break through and get them into the right sort of music and practice routine.

Well there is my 2 cents worth, I am a self taught guitarist though and I have learnt to teach by feel so you might want to get a more professional opinion from the instructors (or other members) on here smile.gif

Peace out

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
Arpeggio
Dec 3 2015, 11:55 PM
"Registry of Guitar Tutors" have finger-style grades, however I don't think they are active enough in Columbia to have exams for students there (50 students needed for 1 examiner). That said, the grade books might give a good structure of different skill levels of finger-style pieces from pre-grade 1 and up.

--------------------
Founder of new startup social network site that brings the good aspects of MySpace, Twitter and FaceBook together.

MyTwitFace.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 4 2015, 12:21 AM
Some really good advice here smile.gif Being encouraging and supporting is one of the key roles in any kind of teaching. Showing patience and working with your students as they come, whatever level they come to you at, is also important.

Also, helping students set their own goals, making progress towards them etc. In general, be positive, avoid being negative, teach "to" the student, not "at" the student, and you should be ok smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Dec 3 2015, 05:48 PM) *
Hi Osedman,

I've been teaching guitar since 1993 and it is my personal belief that you don't have to be a great player to be a great teacher (or I would be without a job biggrin.gif ) but what you do need is the ability to read peoples natural abilities with their instrument and teach them accordingly. Try not to use negative words like "that's wrong" or "you made a mistake" instead give only instructions on how to improve what needs improving. I also divide the lesson into theory and practical as I think it is important to be able to at least read and understand time values for rhythm but most importantly to know your scale patterns and as many chords as possible, on the practical side I always ask what they would like to be able to play and I will endeavour to teach them those songs as their self interest is the best motivator for practice. One thing that you will need a lot of is patience as in my experience many of the younger kids don't practice and the parents don't seem to care (maybe it's just the relaxed aussie attitude) so be prepared to go over the same thing week after week but eventually you should be able to break through and get them into the right sort of music and practice routine.

Well there is my 2 cents worth, I am a self taught guitarist though and I have learnt to teach by feel so you might want to get a more professional opinion from the instructors (or other members) on here smile.gif

Peace out

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 4 2015, 09:08 AM
GMC Founder
+1 to Patrik Berg - social skills are what matter!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Osedmen
Dec 7 2015, 03:13 PM

QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Dec 3 2015, 09:48 PM) *
Hi Osedman,

I've been teaching guitar since 1993 and it is my personal belief that you don't have to be a great player to be a great teacher (or I would be without a job biggrin.gif) but what you do need is the ability to read peoples natural abilities with their instrument and teach them accordingly. Try not to use negative words like "that's wrong" or "you made a mistake" instead give only instructions on how to improve what needs improving. I also divide the lesson into theory and practical as I think it is important to be able to at least read and understand time values for rhythm but most importantly to know your scale patterns and as many chords as possible, on the practical side I always ask what they would like to be able to play and I will endeavour to teach them those songs as their self interest is the best motivator for practice. One thing that you will need a lot of is patience as in my experience many of the younger kids don't practice and the parents don't seem to care (maybe it's just the relaxed aussie attitude) so be prepared to go over the same thing week after week but eventually you should be able to break through and get them into the right sort of music and practice routine.

Peace out

PatriK thanks a lot for share your experience!

--------------------
.:: Colombian fingerstyle guitar player ::.

.:: Now available on iTunes - Spotify - Amazon - Deezer - rhapsody and more ! ::.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lone-spirit/id1057969440

https://open.spotify.com/album/2SALF0jTOJgZD57nl3A4QO

.:: Did you watch my first videoclip? ::.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IClzXkQI8E

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:52 AM