Quick Licks #77 - Insane Shred/alternate Picking
Todd Simpson
Apr 27 2019, 03:08 PM
GMC:er
In this Quick Lick, we BURN IT UP!!!! Pure shred. Start slow and work your way up to crazy!!!! Strict Alternate Picking on this one!!! Fight the urge to only pick some of the notes, fight the urge to use economy picking! This one is all about hardcore Alternate Picking. Start slow with a metronome, or click track, and bump it up slowly. Earn it!!!!! This lick can take you from slow to freakishly brisk.

Attached File  77.gp5 ( 1.64K ) Number of downloads: 6904

Attached Image

This has a Paul Gilbert/Jason Becker sort of vibe to it. Give it a whirl!! Hit me with any questions!

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 27 2019, 03:33 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 27 2019, 08:48 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Take 1 up fro scrutiny sarge, any tips greatly appreciated. I will be striving for more speed over the next few days wink.gif

https://youtu.be/-pjpZS3RajI

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 28 2019, 02:10 PM
Well done!! I can see an increase in your precision and your speed right away. Your playing is very smooth and even which is crucial for this type of lick. You are playing this way better than you might have about a year or so ago. Even using the pinky with no trouble!! Nice.

QUICK SHRED TIPS: (review)
1.)Always use a 1.0mm or thicker pick
2.)Always use a very sharp point on the pick when workin on this type of lick. Even better, use a sharp pick with a beveled edge like the MATHAS IMPALER which makes string traverse a breeze.
3.)Don't over commit to any one strike. Your pick tip should barely pass the threshold of the string. Dig to deep and it ruins the fluidity of your playing. You may be digging a pinch to deep.
4.)Try doing it "Thumbless" to help reset the hand pressure being applied. With less pressure, the fingers move much more freely.
In addition to all these tips/tricks, I'm also using Yngwie Gauged Strings with an added Low B on this guitar. This creates lighter string tension requiring less hand pressure. Back to hand pressure again smile.gif I"m only striking just enouh to excite the string and only fretting just hard enough to make a note. That way every move is transitory heading toward the next fret/strike. I hope that makes sense. smile.gif

You Nailed it!!! And...
LEVELED UP!!!!!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 27 2019, 03:48 PM) *
Take 1 up fro scrutiny sarge, any tips greatly appreciated. I will be striving for more speed over the next few days wink.gif

https://youtu.be/-pjpZS3RajI

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 28 2019, 02:11 PM

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Apr 28 2019, 05:13 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Todd

Can I starting bootcamp with you ?
How it work ?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 28 2019, 08:23 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 28 2019, 01:10 PM) *
3.)Don't over commit to any one strike. Your pick tip should barely pass the threshold of the string. Dig to deep and it ruins the fluidity of your playing. You may be digging a pinch to deep.

I think that might be why I'm prone to fret buzz, I do tend to dig in a little bit too much.

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 30 2019, 12:02 AM
Just shot you a PM about HELL!!!! I mean, about BOOTCAMP!!!

Todd

QUOTE (MisterM @ Apr 28 2019, 12:13 PM) *
Hi Todd

Can I starting bootcamp with you ?
How it work ?

It was the stylus pick that helped me train my hand not to dig in to much as the tip was so large it would get hung on a string if you went to deep past the string. Just using a razor sharp pick tip can do much the same thing. One way to train for it is to fret just one note on one string and focus only on the right hand and how little of the pick you can use to strike the string.

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 28 2019, 03:23 PM) *
I think that might be why I'm prone to fret buzz, I do tend to dig in a little bit too much.

Cheers buddy.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 30 2019, 07:13 AM
Thanks Todd,

I will start being more mindful of how much pick is protruding wink.gif

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Apr 30 2019, 08:46 AM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 1 2019, 03:37 AM
The embed isn't playing for me so I"m pasting it again so folks can see it. Check him out folks!! Just KRUSHING IT!!!

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Apr 30 2019, 03:46 AM) *

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 5 2019, 09:25 AM
NICE!! Also, using the PINKY!!! This lick is played briskly so it's tempting to use the first three fingers as they are just stronger. Good to see you using the runt of the litter as that guy needs all the love he can get! Well played on this. I love how you always take the lick and make it yours! I hope you jump in to the new GABE collab and try some of these in the solo!!!
You just..
LEVELED UP!!!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 30 2019, 10:37 PM) *
The embed isn't playing for me so I"m pasting it again so folks can see it. Check him out folks!! Just KRUSHING IT!!!

+Quote Post
onetabmat
May 17 2019, 03:24 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:09 PM