G Dorian Fusion Licks, David Walliman is back
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 20 2007, 11:30 AM
GMC Founder
G Dorian Fusion Licks

Europe: G Dorian Fusion Licks

He he hey! I am really happy to present a new lesson with David Walliman, who did the awesome "metalhead" solo lesson a while ago. In this one we will examine some really cool, jazz/fusion sounding licks, based of the dorian mode.

More David lessons are on their way - we are also discussing some quality improvements!

Now go fuse!! biggrin.gif

Kris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
Ryan
Jun 20 2007, 11:38 AM
GMC:er
Hmm well this question pops into my head all the time. What "exactly" is fusion?? Is it a genre by itself?, or is more of a mix like Jazz, Blues, Reggae, and others all in one??

I really want to know this bugs me very much so!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Gen
Jun 20 2007, 04:05 PM
smile.gif Great lesson David!
I think i m gonna learn this one too tongue.gif
Keep up the good work!

--------------------
"Fact is, nothing in the world bores me more than gear...If I played thru your rig, I would still sound like me. Van Halen would sound like Van Halen. Brian May...etc. Very early in my career I decided to focus on creating music and not being a guitar tech. Being a good guitar tech is a very different and extremely difficult job, so why not leave it to a pro?"

Marty Friedman -

Guitars: ESP LTD viper-500, a fake strat and an acoustic guitar( dont know the brand)
Amp: Randall RX20R
Effects: Boss mt 2 distortion pedal, Line 6 pod floor plus

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 20 2007, 04:30 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Great lesson David, i love the Gimour feel goin on there smile.gif

+Quote Post
tha_max
Jun 20 2007, 07:35 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 20 2007, 12:30 PM) *
G Dorian Fusion Licks

Europe: G Dorian Fusion Licks

He he hey! I am really happy to present a new lesson with David Walliman, who did the awesome "metalhead" solo lesson a while ago. In this one we will examine some really cool, jazz/fusion sounding licks, based of the dorian mode.

More David lessons are on their way - we are also discussing some quality improvements!

Now go fuse!! biggrin.gif

Kris

He stole your guitar ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 20 2007, 08:11 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (tha_max @ Jun 20 2007, 08:35 PM) *
He stole your guitar ohmy.gif

WAIT LET ME CHECK!! sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

...phew it's still there dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Jul 2 2007, 06:03 PM
I have a small question on the lick described in video 2 of this lesson. David makes a comment that this is a standard 1st pentatonic box until the final note, which is "the major 6th of a G note". But the last tabbed note is an A (and I think this is what David plays in the video too) which is surely a major 2nd rather than a 6th. Wouldn't E be the major sixth note in G dorian, or am I confused?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jul 2 2007, 10:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Resurrection @ Jul 2 2007, 01:03 PM) *
I have a small question on the lick described in video 2 of this lesson. David makes a comment that this is a standard 1st pentatonic box until the final note, which is "the major 6th of a G note". But the last tabbed note is an A (and I think this is what David plays in the video too) which is surely a major 2nd rather than a 6th. Wouldn't E be the major sixth note in G dorian, or am I confused?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

You are absolutely right!
It was a mistake, I'm sorry!
The landing note of the lick is the 2nd of G (or the 9th)...
I'm sorry! I think I needed more codffee the day I wrote that lesson!
That being said, that lick would work over Dorian, and Aeolian.
If wouldn't work on Phrygian because the 2nd is minor in Phrygian...
Makes sense?

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Jul 2 2007, 11:12 PM
QUOTE (Wallimann @ Jul 2 2007, 10:29 PM) *
You are absolutely right!
It was a mistake, I'm sorry!
The landing note of the lick is the 2nd of G (or the 9th)...
I'm sorry! I think I needed more codffee the day I wrote that lesson!
That being said, that lick would work over Dorian, and Aeolian.
If wouldn't work on Phrygian because the 2nd is minor in Phrygian...
Makes sense?

Makes total sense David - thanks for clearing this up for me biggrin.gif

It's a very interesting lick because your ear is expecting the pentatonic theme to continue, then suddenly that final A takes it somewhere different. Although the lick can be derived from Aeolian as well as Dorian, it sounds a bit more exotic than a 'typical' Aeolian lick (at least to my ears!) due to hanging on to that major 2nd at the end. Would that be because the major 2nd is more commonly used as a passing note?

So I guess I need to work in the E to get the full Dorian effect? I've been playing a variation of the lick that incorporates that note, and I do like it!

Great lesson, by the way

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 3 2007, 12:21 AM
What next is planned Walliman ? We should have a lesson on using different scales to form riffs like the ones in the Metalhead Lesson.

-John:)

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jul 3 2007, 02:02 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Jul 2 2007, 07:21 PM) *
What next is planned Walliman ? We should have a lesson on using different scales to form riffs like the ones in the Metalhead Lesson.
-John:)

That's a good idea.. I might do something on riffs...
Thanks for the suggestion!

Resurection, you are right!
Adding an E (Major 6th) to the lick will make it totally dorian.
The major 6th is the note that differentiates the Dorian scale from the other 2 minor modes (Phrygian and Aeolian)...
I'm not counting the Locrian, even though it is minor because its flat 5th diferiences it within its chord...

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 3 2007, 02:14 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Actually a lesson on the riffs in the metalhead lesson would be good, that was the sickest backing track ever biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:07 AM