Finger Probloms
vampire14
Feb 2 2009, 11:09 PM
GMC:er
my ring finger is kinda.. stupider than the other fingers if you know what i mean,
now i understand its that way for everybody but my question is
is it stupider because its wired less good than the other fingers and its smoething biological or is it just because we dont use it individually as much and it can be trained to be better.
and if you know any drills that will help me?
to see what i mean try going up and down the guitar with giners 3,4,3,4,3,4
or try to put all your giners on your fretboard and keep all the fingers on and lift up one at a time each one... the ring finger almost doesnt rise.
you can see how it hearts my playing so when i try to go 1,2,4 its much faster than i can do 1,3,4

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Toni Suominen
Feb 2 2009, 11:21 PM
Instructor
Don't worry, it isn't anything biological or anything, you just have to train your ring finger to work with your other fingers on the guitar. I suggest you put a metronome on and just very slowly start doing just those 1,3,4 shapes all over the fretboard.

The lesson-series "Finger Independence" by Danilo can also help. Here's the link to the first lesson in his series :

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...independence-I/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Toni Suominen: Feb 2 2009, 11:23 PM

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 2 2009, 11:36 PM
Instructor
I'll give you some ex. to improve your finger independence.

Be sure to press with the finger the indicated fret (I mean the useless finger in the exercise)

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
vampire14
Feb 2 2009, 11:49 PM
thx very much.
im relliefed to know that it something i can improve on.
i thoght it was just me having a problom with that finger but other guitar player friends of mine had tham too that i thoght maybe that finger just isnt as good

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Feb 3 2009, 12:04 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
If your stuck just read my signature Vamp. smile.gif It speaks volumes to me when I think I can't improve.

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Feb 3 2009, 09:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vampire14 @ Feb 2 2009, 11:09 PM) *
my ring finger is kinda.. stupider than the other fingers if you know what i mean,
now i understand its that way for everybody but my question is
is it stupider because its wired less good than the other fingers and its smoething biological or is it just because we dont use it individually as much and it can be trained to be better.
and if you know any drills that will help me?
to see what i mean try going up and down the guitar with giners 3,4,3,4,3,4
or try to put all your giners on your fretboard and keep all the fingers on and lift up one at a time each one... the ring finger almost doesnt rise.
you can see how it hearts my playing so when i try to go 1,2,4 its much faster than i can do 1,3,4

The ring finger is the weakest finger due to construction of it's knuckle joint, but can be trained to follow other fingers. smile.gif

Try a little test, lay you hand down on table with palm down, try to lift up each finger and see how much the ring finger will rise. Robert Schuman, famous pianist, tried to invent a machine to help him lift his ring finger, but it irreversibly damaged his finger and that was the end of his career as a pianist. So don't try any radical things smile.gif

Along the exercises Ramiro gave you, you can try some exercises when guitar is not nearby. Put your hand on a table, facing palm down, but knuckle raised from table, and fingers curved as when playing guitar. Now press each finger against the desk and see which one is weakest. It should be the ring finger, and you should also notice that when pressing the ring finger, the knuckle joint slightly lifts up, which is not the case with other fingers. This exercises can help you strenghten the ring finger a bit, and you can do it anywhere. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
vampire14
Feb 3 2009, 03:16 PM
QUOTE (Dejan Farkas @ Feb 3 2009, 10:01 AM) *
The ring finger is the weakest finger due to construction of it's knuckle joint, but can be trained to follow other fingers. smile.gif

Try a little test, lay you hand down on table with palm down, try to lift up each finger and see how much the ring finger will rise. Robert Schuman, famous pianist, tried to invent a machine to help him lift his ring finger, but it irreversibly damaged his finger and that was the end of his career as a pianist. So don't try any radical things smile.gif

Along the exercises Ramiro gave you, you can try some exercises when guitar is not nearby. Put your hand on a table, facing palm down, but knuckle raised from table, and fingers curved as when playing guitar. Now press each finger against the desk and see which one is weakest. It should be the ring finger, and you should also notice that when pressing the ring finger, the knuckle joint slightly lifts up, which is not the case with other fingers. This exercises can help you strenghten the ring finger a bit, and you can do it anywhere. smile.gif

lol thx. who am i to argue with schuman.
i ll try to drill.. im also thinking of buying this little device with 4 spirings that is supposed to help finger strength

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:47 PM