scale runs
BrooklynBorn
Jul 31 2006, 04:40 AM
GMC:er
I bought the Guitar Grimoire and learned all 7 positions of the major scale, Harmonic, and melodic minor scales .My question is this how important is it to get these scales lightning fast with a metronome without skipping notes, just plain ole scale runs. Am I just better off knowing them at a moderate fluid rate and save my focus for learning "licks"?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Brooklyn Born, Brooklyn Bred, and when I Die I'm Brooklyn Dead
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 31 2006, 10:45 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (BrooklynBorn)
I bought the Guitar Grimoire and learned all 7 positions of the major scale, Harmonic, and melodic minor scales .My question is this how important is it to get these scales lightning fast with a metronome  without skipping notes, just plain ole scale runs. Am I just better off knowing them at a moderate fluid rate and save my focus for learning "licks"?

Now that's an interesting question. I would definately answer YES.

But if your highest wish is to become a "monster shredder" the go for the lightning fast scales. It's a matter of preference.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
texasamp
Aug 4 2006, 12:58 AM
If you know these scales backward and forward it is a definite plus. As you will see as your memory grows with this knowledge you will take bits and pieces of those scales and connect the dots all over the fretboard you will have a foundation. I think most players have a bag of licks they know blindfolded. Well if you ever been on stage and what I call run into DEEP water (I have already spent myself climax and all) you can revert to these that you know. It will ease your hand tension and give your mind a few seconds to think what barrage of licks your going to next.

I have often said though... sometimes not playing is better than playing in certain situations. :smoke

Best-
Darrell

+Quote Post
KRmachine
Aug 5 2006, 09:47 AM
Well to start off with I'd say yes, because if you know them well at a moderate speed it's easier to get them up to tempo later, while as if you try to learn them lightning fast right away you'll most likely end up getting frustrated because it's not working. If you can't play it perfectly slow you can't play it fast.

+Quote Post
sammy_k
Aug 5 2006, 08:00 PM
Anyone happen to have audio recordings of scales? I'd like to hear how a scale is played on a good speed. Not hyperfast, but just a steady speed.
When I search the web about scales, I can find tabs but often no sound.
I like sound recordings as a reference.

Guitar Grimoire seems to be good, but are there any websites about scales which also have audio examples? Or even video examples. I'm someone who learns better from seeing or at least hearing things.

Keep on practicing BrooklynBorn!

+Quote Post
Disobedience
Aug 26 2006, 06:38 PM
sammy_k, if you want to post the scale names you want audio for, I'll get them recorded for you.

--------------------
Check out this band: Disobedience Official Site.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:43 AM