2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Lefty
vampire20
Jan 23 2009, 07:50 PM
GMC:er
does anyone know if all guitars come in left handed models too?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Jan 23 2009, 08:22 PM
I don't know if all guitars have equivalent left handed models, but they do make lots of left handed guitars nowadays. they cost slightly more than than right handed counterparts, though.

Is there a specific guitar you're looking at right now?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 23 2009, 08:38 PM
Learning Roadie
No they dont trust me i'm a lefty its very difficult to get a decent guitar in a good finish without getting your pants pulled down over the price laugh.gif

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
FenderBeater
Jan 23 2009, 08:44 PM
Not all but Jackson has a great lefty option, I own 3 of them 2 custom 1 of the rack all Soloists and are exellent well made guitars.

Fender has the American Deluxe in lefty options and it's cool because you can just change the pickguard to put anything in there, 2 HBs, 1 HB 2 SCs etc, etc.

It's hard being a lefty but if you have the money it's not a problem they will ALL make what you want but like everything else you have to pay for quality.

this one I got recently and it destroys everything else I've ever played. It'll stomp a hole in a Les Paul
all mahogany, the neck is also all mahogany, the body is one piece mahogany and an Ebony fretboard. It sustains like a siren without a sustainer, the tone is thick and again the sustain is unreal.

lousy pic, I don't know how to take good pics but it looks alot better in person and it weights 50 tons but the tone.. biggrin.gif

They're available you just have to really want one. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
vampire14
Jan 23 2009, 09:58 PM
well right now i have a realy beutifull squire. i cant complain but its a very basic guitar and i snatched the last lefty one of the store.
i thoght maybe upgrading to an steve vies ibanez jem.
i dont know i want a nice guitar with a good bridge and a nice shredeble neck.

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 23 2009, 10:28 PM
Learning Roadie
Sorry but you cant a get a lefty jem that i know of sad.gif sad.gif , if you could i would own one and a PGM LOL

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 23 2009, 10:57 PM
Instructor
Unfortunately all guitars don't come in left-handed models, which is really unfair, but companies don't usually make a lot of lefty models 'cause they have to think about profit and all that kinda stuff.

But there should be very good lefty-models from all the big guitar companies (Schecter, ESP etc.) if you are looking for one just keep browsing the catalogues and websites of the guitar companies.

This post has been edited by Toni Suominen: Jan 23 2009, 10:58 PM

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
vampire14
Jan 24 2009, 01:39 AM
i realy dont get it. i mean its not like one i a 1000 people is a lefty. 1 out of 10 people is. its discrimination.
i understand stores not oredering them but to not even give the oprion to order them? thats like not making shoes for people over size 50

+Quote Post
Mandos
Jan 24 2009, 07:12 AM
The thing is that a lot of left handed people (like me, a bass playing friend of mine, Gary Moore, Steve Morse) play guitar and bass "right-handed". I don't really get why you would play the other way around as lefty since it's better to have the strength on the fretboard (for bends, vibrato, and overall strength) rather than wasting it on the picking hand. I understand that you would want to have it the other way around while playing classical guitar though.

--------------------
[color="#808080"]Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Gothic with EMG 81 and 85, Crafter Acoustic, ESP LTD F-205

+Quote Post
vampire14
Jan 24 2009, 09:45 AM
i can tell you that at list for me. i write and do precise jobs with my left hand but my right hand is a bit stronger for some reason. i dont know why but i can tell you my mom is the same. the first time i held the guitar i just felt i couldent do it any other why. i cant explain it.
do you think theres a problom just playing a right handed guitar upside down? i mean i know all the knobs will be in the wrong place but im not sure how disturbing that is. besides i alwayes thoght that the whammy bar sould be on the oppsite side so i can press it and pick at the same time

This post has been edited by vampire14: Jan 24 2009, 09:49 AM

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 24 2009, 09:55 AM
Learning Roadie
I tried for 6 months to play right handed stoped for theses reasons

1 my my hand has no rhythm
2 my left hand could not play cords, in that six months i basically learnt 6 chords, changed to a lefty i learnt 6 chords in an hour. Not everyone is ambidextrous, some of us don't get a choice.

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
vampire14
Jan 24 2009, 10:55 AM
just wish we had something to do but i doubt that even if every lefty guitar player would bombard ibaznezes ceo mailbox with letters wouldnt help

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 24 2009, 12:30 PM
Learning Roadie
Its been done in the past i believe???

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
vampire14
Jan 24 2009, 12:38 PM
mail bombardment was done before on wuite a few occasions. i dont know about a lefty guitar protest one. we can send him like left handed can openers lol

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 24 2009, 01:41 PM
Instructor
I second to that, lefty guitar is far more harder to find, and they are more expensive. Also, if you are a bass player, you will go through some serious troubles.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
FenderBeater
Jan 24 2009, 03:50 PM

It's all about money, not descrimination. They won't sell near as much lefty axes as they would right handed so they don't make them or as many. I can see that, I don't like it at all but I understand. mad.gif It does suck!

I don't think you'll have much luck finding a Vai Jem lefty but you can still get an Ibanez 1570 Prestige they're very nice not for me (I hate the paper thin tone and it feels like it has no soul) but they have the great neck and all. I have at least one of the top guitar brands in lefty so I know you can find them.

Don't get into chasing gear right now though, I didn't until after 10 years of playing experience.

Believe it or not a cheap Squire taken to a good luthier for a good setup and pickup exchange will be just fine. I'd recommend at least an ALDER body so you don't sacrifice any tone. One of the best guitars I've ever felt was a $200 Squire that had an exellent setup done to it.

Musicman makes the great Axis in lefty, I love the neck on that even more than any Ibanez neck..it doesn't have the forearm cut so it's very unconfortable when you play sitting down but it's a great axe.

As far as "shredding neck" they're all shredding necks as long as you practice hard with them. Large/Jumbo frets on a Fender Strat is still hard to beat for a great feeling neck. They usually don't come with them so you have to get a fret job when they wear out. But refret a Strat with Jumbos and put your favorite HBs or PUs in there and you just can't go wrong. Save a little more and you can have a well made American Soloist off the rack in lefty..there's plenty of them around and they're worth it.

I tried playing righty before and my right hand would have none of it, no problem fretting but when it came to picking...too difficult and felt very awkward and strange. But playing lefty gave me a monster picking hand and I suppose you'll end up the same way. I was picking way ahead of my level by the 2nd year of practice and I did so much chromatic scales alternate picking daily that I was doing Hetfield and Mustaine riffs with my left nut from very early on.

Good luck in your lefty search...they're out there you just have to look for them and save a little.

QUOTE (vampire14 @ Jan 24 2009, 09:45 AM) *
i can tell you that at list for me. i write and do precise jobs with my left hand but my right hand is a bit stronger for some reason. i dont know why but i can tell you my mom is the same. the first time i held the guitar i just felt i couldent do it any other why. i cant explain it.
do you think theres a problom just playing a right handed guitar upside down? i mean i know all the knobs will be in the wrong place but im not sure how disturbing that is. besides i alwayes thoght that the whammy bar sould be on the oppsite side so i can press it and pick at the same time

I bat and shoot right handed myself.

I would like to hear more about what someone here said about the left hand being stronger. Can someone give me some info on this and if it's a fact? I never heard this before, I heard that we lefties are supposed to be smarter tongue.gif but that's it nothing about mechanics..interesting though.

+Quote Post
vampire14
Jan 24 2009, 07:20 PM
QUOTE (FenderBeater @ Jan 24 2009, 04:50 PM) *
It's all about money, not descrimination. They won't sell near as much lefty axes as they would right handed so they don't make them or as many. I can see that, I don't like it at all but I understand. mad.gif It does suck!

I don't think you'll have much luck finding a Vai Jem lefty but you can still get an Ibanez 1570 Prestige they're very nice not for me (I hate the paper thin tone and it feels like it has no soul) but they have the great neck and all. I have at least one of the top guitar brands in lefty so I know you can find them.

Don't get into chasing gear right now though, I didn't until after 10 years of playing experience.

Believe it or not a cheap Squire taken to a good luthier for a good setup and pickup exchange will be just fine. I'd recommend at least an ALDER body so you don't sacrifice any tone. One of the best guitars I've ever felt was a $200 Squire that had an exellent setup done to it.

Musicman makes the great Axis in lefty, I love the neck on that even more than any Ibanez neck..it doesn't have the forearm cut so it's very unconfortable when you play sitting down but it's a great axe.

As far as "shredding neck" they're all shredding necks as long as you practice hard with them. Large/Jumbo frets on a Fender Strat is still hard to beat for a great feeling neck. They usually don't come with them so you have to get a fret job when they wear out. But refret a Strat with Jumbos and put your favorite HBs or PUs in there and you just can't go wrong. Save a little more and you can have a well made American Soloist off the rack in lefty..there's plenty of them around and they're worth it.

I tried playing righty before and my right hand would have none of it, no problem fretting but when it came to picking...too difficult and felt very awkward and strange. But playing lefty gave me a monster picking hand and I suppose you'll end up the same way. I was picking way ahead of my level by the 2nd year of practice and I did so much chromatic scales alternate picking daily that I was doing Hetfield and Mustaine riffs with my left nut from very early on.

Good luck in your lefty search...they're out there you just have to look for them and save a little.

I bat and shoot right handed myself.

I would like to hear more about what someone here said about the left hand being stronger. Can someone give me some info on this and if it's a fact? I never heard this before, I heard that we lefties are supposed to be smarter tongue.gif but that's it nothing about mechanics..interesting though.

right now i have a chinese squire that has earthing probloms(makes anoying electricity noise until i touch it to conduct the electricity)
i like it but i know it sucs. how much would changing pickups help? if i put a nice HB as my last pickup you think ill have a nicer tone?
i started a poll here and lets see how much lefty players are there

+Quote Post
Joruus
Jan 25 2009, 07:07 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (vampire14 @ Jan 24 2009, 09:45 AM) *

I saw SRV using a guitar with tremmelo above the strings (don't know if it was an upsidedown lefty or a special guitar)
haven't ever seen a tremmelo bar being above strings anyother time though.

I was wondering too if there is any problem with turning upside down and restringing a righthander for leftys.
(just wondering cause i really am righthanded with guitars tongue.gif)

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post
vampire14
Jan 25 2009, 08:09 AM
QUOTE (Joruus @ Jan 25 2009, 08:07 AM) *
I saw SRV using a guitar with tremmelo above the strings (don't know if it was an upsidedown lefty or a special guitar)
haven't ever seen a tremmelo bar being above strings anyother time though.

I was wondering too if there is any problem with turning upside down and restringing a righthander for leftys.
(just wondering cause i really am righthanded with guitars tongue.gif)

there is a problom because besides the tuners and the buttons all being on the wrong side. just look at a photo of a strat. you can see the cut is not deep enugh in the wood on the other side to play the higher frets. and its not very comfortable generaly.

+Quote Post
Mandos
Jan 25 2009, 08:14 AM
Or you can play like Jimmy Haslip (the bass playing in the band Yellow Jackets). He plays lefty but with the strings in the wrong order, so the B string is closest to the floor.

--------------------
[color="#808080"]Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Gothic with EMG 81 and 85, Crafter Acoustic, ESP LTD F-205

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:37 AM