> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

23 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Tom51's Practice Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 21 2015, 01:33 PM
Instructor
Sure! It's a very important skill for composing, learning songs and improvising. Keep working on it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 21 2015, 02:27 PM
Instructor
I didn't notice that number 8 wasn't perfect, this is the right melody:

C A B E

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Oct 21 2015, 02:29 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Oct 21 2015, 03:38 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 21 2015, 01:27 PM) *
I didn't notice that number 8 wasn't perfect, this is the right melody:

C A B E

Yes, of course. No idea where the G came from wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 22 2015, 02:53 PM
Instructor
Great! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Oct 24 2015, 04:28 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab,
I would like to change my rhythm lesson from Bears (#10 make a song) to this one:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Goo-Goo-Dolls-Style/

I get a little bored with the the other one and it simply takes to much time for recording all the three guitars and get this all in sync with videos. Hope thats not a problem and I do not see this as wasted time as I was practicing all different chord changes and thats what is was for.
If thats OK with you I would start with the new one tomorrow.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 24 2015, 07:11 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom, this is not a problem, it's a wise decision. We always have to go for the more motivating stuff.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Nov 1 2015, 04:24 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab,
last week I cut deeply into the fingertip of my first finger left hand and had some days with 3 fingers only where I could not play seriously. Did ear training and playing scales from Improvisation Workshop. Still I cannot have much pressure on this finger, so the rhythm lesson has to wait. But I will start tomorrow normally.

But nevertheless I made a few new videos:

Frusciante 2 (getting smoother slides and improving vibrato)
https://youtu.be/myYQTzcRQGA

Beginner Solo (precise bends and vibrato that goes with the backing)
https://youtu.be/WIMBDPjaBbo

Buckethead ( timing - focus on the two 16th notes licks and the first second part)
Here I did my "guitargym" the last weeks and focused on these parts playing endless loops as clean as possible with ascending tempo. Its getting much better now although I do not have this available all the time at tempo and quality. But now I am sure that I can master it sooner or later.
https://youtu.be/UKtMv8wZsGE

This is my plan for next week:

10min Warmup
(take a different key each day and play all minor and major scale positions (CAGED), all arpeggios and pentatonic in this key)
10min Ear Training
(I recorded some arpeggios and open chords)

Lessons 1h
Frusciante 10min
Beginner Solo 10min
Buckethead 15min
Rhythm Lesson 30min

Improvising 45min

Please let me know if there is anything else I should pay attention to. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 2 2015, 01:50 AM
Instructor
Hi Tom! I'm sorry about your finger, I casually had a similar problem with my left hand index finger two days ago... mad.gif

I've checked your videos and I have to say that your progress is really inspiring! You are doing a great job at this workout! Here I go with some comments:

- Frusciante 2: The lesson is on the right track. You need to adjust the slides (for example at 00:22), the lick at 00:24, and the bend at 00:32.

- Beginer Solo: This one is also a promising take. You still need to adjust timing on some parts, your bending technique which is not bad but sometimes you don't reach the correct pitch.

- Buckethead: I notice improvements on everything we've talked about previously but each element has room to improvements so keep on the same direction.

The plan for this week sounds perfect.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Nov 13 2015, 04:36 PM
Learning Roadie
Just that you see I am working hard wink.gif

Ear Training
As recommended I listened only twice, once to get the chord quality and a 2nd time with guitar to find the base note.
I would prefer to check this all again....but lets see how many wrong once are at without that.

Dm
E
A
Gm
Cm
G
Fm
Am
B
Bm

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 15 2015, 05:31 AM
Instructor
Hi Tom! Good job with this assignment. There are only two wrong roots, triads quality are ok.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Nov 18 2015, 04:11 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab - hope I found the wrong roots. (#3 and 9)

Dm
E
B
Gm
Cm
G
Fm
Am
A
Bm

This post has been edited by Tom51: Nov 18 2015, 04:12 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 19 2015, 01:25 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

#9 is still wrong, and now I've noticed that #7 is not minor...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Nov 20 2015, 09:01 PM
Learning Roadie
1st anniversary videos

One year ago I was talking to an old friend of mine about the music we listened when we were teenagers and our first record we bought. It was" The dark side of the moon" by Pink Floyd. I must have said something like I really regret that I never learned to play guitar and make music. That's where is all started. The next day I bought my first guitar. I knew that online learning would the way to go for me and I need more than just a few videos at yt. Did some search, found GMC and Ben's Beginner Series immediately convinced me to sign up. So thanks Ben I am here ;-) Great that I wasted a few days only before finding GMC.
While I started with Ben's Beginner Series I got a pm from you offering your mentoring program to me and here we are now. I really know that without you as mentor and GMC I would have probably put the guitar away after a few weeks, overwhelmed frustrated and having no idea how to go on. So it really comes from my heart when I say that I am deeply grateful for all you have done. I am really proud to have such a great musician like you as mentor.
I had no expectations where I would be after one year but I learned that most important is to enjoy the journey not only the results. And I really hope this journey will go on. Still remember the first plan you sent me assuming I play 2 hours daily. I was really shocked at that time as I was thinking of 20mins twice or three times a week playing. Hahaha! Now I play usually around 2 hours daily.

And here are the 1st anniversary videos for my current lessons. Gave my very best ...

Buckethead
https://youtu.be/Xazw-nfWmQk

Frusciante
https://youtu.be/xsonWdhSMhY

Beginner Solo
https://youtu.be/hkXJ_JuG8xQ

If any of the above has a chance to pass REC I would like to post there too. OK?
For the Rhythm lesson (Goo Goo Dolls) I will need a few days. Takes much more time than I thought.

Thanks so much for the great time Gab!
Tom.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 21 2015, 06:34 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom! Congrats on your anniversary!! It's awesome how much you've learnt in only 1 year!! I'm also really happy of knowing that GMC and our work here is motivating you to keep going! smile.gif

I've checked each of the lessons and here are some things to work on:

- On Buckethead, you need to isolate the faster passages (16th notes) and work on them over metronome and/or backing track.

- Frusciante's lesson is the best sounding, you could go for REC! Just keep on improving dynamics and adjust the lick at 00:24.

- Beginner Solo needs more adjustment regarding timing and vibrato. Also be careful with bending.

There is something that I'd like to mark about your right hand. I notice that you have you thumb and index extended while a more relaxed way of holding the pick could be better. In your beginner solo video you seem to be closer to what I mean. Please check my lessons, and compare my right hand (fingers holding the pick) with yours on Buckethead lesson. This is not something dramatic but I would give some attention to it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Nov 21 2015, 06:57 PM
Learning Roadie
It may sound strange but my current position feels quite natural and relaxed to me. Nevertheless i will try to get more towards the "right position". ( I know what you mean)

About Beginner Solo vibrato: is it too wide and too fast or how should I understand your comment?
I just recorded a version (backing at -6db to make that easier to hear) where I thought that is the way you want me to got, its a slower vibrato I tried to connect with the tempo of the backing but relatively wide, maybe too wide at some notes. I also tried to let the note sound before I do vibrato.
(bend at the end is flat, yes I hear that too mad.gif )

https://soundcloud.com/user619267345/l20-vibrato

Cheers Tom

This post has been edited by Tom51: Nov 22 2015, 03:04 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 23 2015, 01:51 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom,

this audio is promising. Vibrato is one of the most personal techniques. It's an important element that will help you to create your own voice on guitar so I consider very important to keep on experimenting with it, trying different kinds, speeds, widths, emulate your favorite players to get inspiration and everything that you can do to liberate it. The goal is to feel it natural, and proud of it. One day you'll be able to do it effortless, naturally and you will hear yourself and say, what a nice vibrato I've done. That's the goal. smile.gif

In this audio I can notice that it's becoming more natural and more connected with the backing track regarding dynamics and timing. This is the road, keep going!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Nov 25 2015, 06:08 PM
Learning Roadie
Just recorded my lesson for the improvisation assignment and used my energy to record a new Beginner Solo too where I tried to apply your advises for vibrato, bending and timing. Curious what you think.

https://youtu.be/68Ail9RuVxs

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 27 2015, 05:35 PM
Instructor
Greta job Tom! Your vibrato is getting much better! It's wide and it is starting to sound more connected with the groove of the backing track. There is still work to do to make it sound more natural, but this is exactly the work you have to do, you need to continue practicing like this to feel more comfortable can connect more and more with the backing. Well done!

Your timing is better too, and your last two bending are really good! So everything is on the right track, keep going!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Nov 29 2015, 11:13 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab, here comes a new Frusciante video where I tried to improve what I got as feedback at REC. This time I did not apply different dynamics and followed Darius advise to play notes more evenly. Cheers Tom.

https://youtu.be/nvBYz_5nCSI

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 30 2015, 01:26 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom!! Great job! I notice big improvements on the elements that we've marked at REC board. Your timing is better and the licks that were weak are more consistent now. The last bend is closer but it still giving problems.

Please continue working in this way for some days and record a new take.

Keep on rocking!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

23 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:37 PM