Recording Setup Question
zeus
Nov 15 2011, 04:27 AM
GMC:er
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and I am really enjoying all of the lessons and backing tracks. I would like to start making my own backing tracks and have them be of similar quality to the ones in the lessons. I have been doing some research on this and others into what software to use.

The DAW that I have been using for awhile is Adobe Audition. I am just learning about VST and VSTi. I tried running those through the sequencer in Audition and I find it to be a real pain in the butt to get the sound and timing I want. Do you guys use the sequencer within the DAW to create drum, bass, and synth tracks?

I also have Guitar Rig 5 for preamp use.

My recording setup before was by micing my amp, but now I would like to use the direct out on my amp head into my M-Audio Mobile Pre, or plug my guitar straight into the Mobile Pre and have Guitar Rig 5 do all of the preamp functions.

Do you have suggestions for DAW, and good VSTi's? My budget is pretty flexible right now. I have found some good free VSTi's too on the internet.

Thanks.

*If this post is in the wrong section I apologize, I wasn't sure where to ask this question.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 15 2011, 09:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (zeus @ Nov 15 2011, 03:27 AM) *
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and I am really enjoying all of the lessons and backing tracks. I would like to start making my own backing tracks and have them be of similar quality to the ones in the lessons. I have been doing some research on this and others into what software to use.

The DAW that I have been using for awhile is Adobe Audition. I am just learning about VST and VSTi. I tried running those through the sequencer in Audition and I find it to be a real pain in the butt to get the sound and timing I want. Do you guys use the sequencer within the DAW to create drum, bass, and synth tracks?

I also have Guitar Rig 5 for preamp use.

My recording setup before was by micing my amp, but now I would like to use the direct out on my amp head into my M-Audio Mobile Pre, or plug my guitar straight into the Mobile Pre and have Guitar Rig 5 do all of the preamp functions.

Do you have suggestions for DAW, and good VSTi's? My budget is pretty flexible right now. I have found some good free VSTi's too on the internet.

Thanks.

*If this post is in the wrong section I apologize, I wasn't sure where to ask this question.

Hey there! I am using Logic Pro, for PC to record all my materials and I have also installed Samplitude - the last one has been used by one of my band mates and I got used to it pretty quickly.

I never used Adobe Audition, so I can't quite tell anything regarding it, but I recommend the above stated smile.gif I guess it's a matter of getting used to something after all. Exploring will only tell from my perspective!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 15 2011, 11:57 AM
Instructor
Well, Cubase/Nuendo are a somewhat standard in audio production industry based on PC platform, although any DAW can be used to achieve the results that you want, DAW is just a tool, and idea always comes first. Bottom line: you won't make a better table using a better quality hammer, you will just make it with a bit more comfort and speed.

I would suggest you install and tryout Reaper, it's a very good DAW that has a free and non-limiting evaluation license.

As far as plugins, it depends on your budget and the things you want to compose. If you want to work on rock/metal genres, you will need drum and bass VST instruments to get started and a guitar modeling software.

Guitar Rig 5 is IMHO everything you need to get started with guitar processing, it produces very satisfactory quality. I would also advise that you record straight into interface and process the clean signal as it enables better reamping and editing possibilities.

As for drums, the majority of people start out with EZDrummer, very comfortable and solid sounding drum VST instrument with premade MIDI grooves. Another competitor's product is Addictive Drums which offers more features but costs twice the price. IMO, EZDrummer is enough for starting.

As for bass, you can use any bass VST Instrument, there are bunch of free ones out there. You can run the VST instrument channel through Guitar Rig 5 bass preset and have more realistic bass tone. I'm using Spectrasonics Trilian which is not as real bass, but it comes very close, specially if you tweak it a bit and program the MIDI properly.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
zeus
Nov 16 2011, 11:00 AM
Awesome thanks guys. I downloaded Reaper and I like it so far. I've got a few free VSTi's from searching the internet. I've learned how to sequence drums, bass, and synth through the built in MIDI sequencer from youtube videos. I think I am on the right path to create some great tracks. Thanks for your input!

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 16 2011, 12:37 PM
Learning Roadie
*a small humble musician hesitantly raises his hand*

I have made a video on how I make my backing tracks. It's a VERY humble setup and will be improved by Christmas - hopefully - when I get Alesis Active MK2 mixing speakers. I think all I need is a couple of cables or something. Anyway, some of my followers and students wanted to know how I made my stuff. Hey, it works. I can play stuff for church and such with what little knowledge I have. I give credit to GMC for teaching me the works.

Yeah, it's really long. You probably aren't going to want to listen to all of it - but it's here. happy.gif

- Brandon

+Quote Post
zeus
Nov 17 2011, 10:34 PM
Fireball,

That video was actually super helpful. Thank you so much.

I learned how to insert midi tracks into Reaper and adjust length and edit the tracks. It's so much easier when you can just see someone do it versus only reading instruction manuals.

Thanks again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 18 2011, 02:13 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (zeus @ Nov 15 2011, 03:27 AM) *
Hi everyone,

... I tried running those through the sequencer in Audition and I find it to be a real pain in the butt to get the sound and timing I want. D...

The multitrack side of Audition only really got added when Adobe bought Syntrillium and so acquired Cooledit which they then rename Audition. Audition started life as Cooledit (we even have an old version of Cooledit 2 on an old pc here). Originally Cooledit wasn't really meant for mixing but for editing the final stereo file to make it broadcast ready. In some ways it was more a post production editor than a mixing daw. So a lot of the sequencing and vst handling therefore were not as part of the original design/intention for the program. If you want to stay with Audition (and there's no real reason to change if you're generally happy with it) my main suggestion would be to upgrade it to the latest version as Adobe have done some improvements to the way it handles multitrack and vsts etc.

Most DAWs for recording/mixing are pretty similar except for some workflow design issues. You are nearly always better off spending time learning the one you have rather than jumping between different ones. IMHO you should only change DAWs if you really can't get on with the workflow or if there is a major issue/feature that is a deal breaker.

note:
When I say recording/mixing daw I'm really referring to Cubase/Nuendo/Sonar/One/Pro tools/Reaper/etc. Live! and Reason are different to them but otherwise they are pretty much the same. Mastering daws like Sadie/Pyramix and Soundblade are different though because they have a very different focus and intent.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
zeus
Nov 18 2011, 10:51 PM
Thank you for the advice and background for Audition. The reason that I am moving away from Audition is that it frequently crashes, and has problems detecting my soundcard, and the latest version has no VSTi support. I know that the time I have invested in learning how to use the software is a bit wasted, but I found the previous reasons to be deal breakers.

So I am moving on with Reaper, which I really like so far. Hopefuly the time I have invested with Audition will pay off in some way when learning to use the new DAW.

Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:29 AM