Using Virtual Monitoring Plug-ins
Mertay
Feb 11 2014, 12:44 AM
GMC:er
For those new to it, it turns headphone sound to virtually in a room-like ment to make headphones sound like monitors.

Tested a few years ago when they first got popular but it felt very weird and I couldn't (sonically) get the idea behind it as my ears were already used to the headphones I have. Actually its purpose is basically mudding or make the sound less in-your-face coming from headphones smile.gif

Just for fun, I flattened (match eq.) a mastered song recently and tried balancing the freq.s back again to see how close I could get to the original sound without referencing till finished (Don't laugh! Everybody do weird things at night when they're alone biggrin.gif)

It kept sounding muddy in the mid.s and I couldn't nail the lowest and highest freq.s good enough. So after some thought what I did was using this to eq-like balance the output of the headphones;

isone

I re-engineered the headphone sound with this plug-in using the original mastered track. For example I slightly mudded the mid.s with the plug-in so the masters I do would sound tighter when I disable isone...

Haven't perfected my settings yet but these things take time as one needs more and more results to perfect it. Hope it helps to anyone if needed smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 12 2014, 05:21 AM
There is a plugin/hardware solution that does virtual monitoring from FOCUSRITE as well. This isn't what your using is it?

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/vrm-box

QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 10 2014, 06:44 PM) *
For those new to it, it turns headphone sound to virtually in a room-like ment to make headphones sound like monitors.

Tested a few years ago when they first got popular but it felt very weird and I couldn't (sonically) get the idea behind it as my ears were already used to the headphones I have. Actually its purpose is basically mudding or make the sound less in-your-face coming from headphones smile.gif

Just for fun, I flattened (match eq.) a mastered song recently and tried balancing the freq.s back again to see how close I could get to the original sound without referencing till finished (Don't laugh! Everybody do weird things at night when they're alone biggrin.gif)

It kept sounding muddy in the mid.s and I couldn't nail the lowest and highest freq.s good enough. So after some thought what I did was using this to eq-like balance the output of the headphones;

isone

I re-engineered the headphone sound with this plug-in using the original mastered track. For example I slightly mudded the mid.s with the plug-in so the masters I do would sound tighter when I disable isone...

Haven't perfected my settings yet but these things take time as one needs more and more results to perfect it. Hope it helps to anyone if needed smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 4 2014, 03:06 PM
Oops sorry I missed this the reply sad.gif

I just realized I gave the wrong link smile.gif http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isone/ I can't comment if one is better than the other but the guy who programmed this is a genious at this stuff smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 5 2014, 09:43 AM
Instructor
I usually check the mix on headphones to catch details I could mix via monitors. I think this kind of software would not do the job for me....sad.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 6 2014, 05:18 AM
I have to agree smile.gif I think this kind of thing is very cool and fun to mess with, but I don't think I'd trust it for mixing.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 5 2014, 03:43 AM) *
I usually check the mix on headphones to catch details I could mix via monitors. I think this kind of software would not do the job for me....sad.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 6 2014, 04:13 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 5 2014, 08:43 AM) *

Same here but for homestudio mastering then its pretty cool smile.gif since one needs a different source as his ears are too used to the mix sound (alternative headphone is ok but compared to speaker it does sound too in-your-face) to me this is the most affordable option, though I must say it does takes some time and effort to get used to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 6 2014, 09:20 PM
Very true!! smile.gif Ideally, you would have two more more sets of monitors to mix with even if one pair is just a "horror tone" or something similar. I use a pair of ALESIS and a pair of KRK and pair of SPIRIT Folio monitors and there are significant differences in each even though they all have similar specs. The mini monitors are a good way to find out what a mix will sound like on a really crap system.

The behringer c5a would work smile.gif
Attached Image
ideally, one would have a larger set of monitors, a near field set and a semi crap set about like this.
Attached Image

but until then, plugins can bridge the gap!

QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 6 2014, 10:13 AM) *
Same here but for homestudio mastering then its pretty cool smile.gif since one needs a different source as his ears are too used to the mix sound (alternative headphone is ok but compared to speaker it does sound too in-your-face) to me this is the most affordable option, though I must say it does takes some time and effort to get used to.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 6 2014, 09:21 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 6 2014, 10:17 PM
Yeah smaller speaker do make sense, specially since the cone in them usually more faster and giving different details (its actually a wrong judgement that the flattest speaker is automaticly the best).

The most preferred for the pro engineers is the auratones (the brown one todd shared on the last photo) but they don't make them anymore. The second most popular option is avantone mixcubes and as far as I can remember they're actually affordable.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 6 2014, 10:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 7 2014, 10:33 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 6 2014, 10:17 PM) *
Yeah smaller speaker do make sense, specially since the cone in them usually more faster and giving different details (its actually a wrong judgement that the flattest speaker is automaticly the best).

The most preferred for the pro engineers is the auratones (the brown one todd shared on the last photo) but they don't make them anymore. The second most popular option is avantone mixcubes and as far as I can remember they're actually affordable.

True...I think. I always find a bit trouble while working with Adams. If I want to have "warm" mix it does happen to overexpose the midrange - sound perfect on Adam'a but different set of speakers show's that overexposure. Sharp mini hi-fi does the job biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 11 2014, 02:50 AM
GOOD NEWS!!! Those aren't actually AURATONES, those are NEW BEHRINGER monitors that look/sound like auratones!! And they are not very expensive smile.gif Here is a link.

They are called the "BEHRITONE" get it? smile.gif

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/C5A.aspx

They are POWERED and run about $99 each.

Attached Image
Attached Image

QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 6 2014, 05:17 PM) *

You could always just get a pair of the Behringer Behritones or the AVANTONE monitors. They are the newer version of the AURATONEs. But if using a consumer stereo does the trick then that's fine too smile.gif I'm not sure if I'd trust it but whatever works!

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 7 2014, 05:33 AM) *
True...I think. I always find a bit trouble while working with Adams. If I want to have "warm" mix it does happen to overexpose the midrange - sound perfect on Adam'a but different set of speakers show's that overexposure. Sharp mini hi-fi does the job biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 11 2014, 02:49 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:22 AM