2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Should I Be Ashamed ?
Nighthawk1
Apr 27 2008, 02:15 PM
GMC:er
Hey there,
so here is the situation: I joined a "temporarily band" (these kind of bands that do some stuff together for some specific event and split up afterwards :-) ) and we met up for second rehearsal and our base player doesn't show up. So the guys wanted me to play base as we were two guitarists me, and the other guy who's already a little bit overchallenged with playing guitar. wink.gif And I say ...Well.I play guitar for 5 years now...but actually... I haven't never touched a base guitar let alone played it. So the other were of the opinion that every bloody guitarist should be able to play at least the basic background base lines and do some runs...
So what about your base skills? Do you think these guys are right and should I learn a bit playing base..?
Thanks for comments...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iluha
Apr 27 2008, 02:35 PM
QUOTE (Nighthawk @ Apr 27 2008, 03:15 PM) *
Hey there,
so here is the situation: I joined a "temporarily band" (these kind of bands that do some stuff together for some specific event and split up afterwards :-) ) and we met up for second rehearsal and our base player doesn't show up. So the guys wanted me to play base as we were two guitarists me, and the other guy who's already a little bit overchallenged with playing guitar. wink.gif And I say ...Well.I play guitar for 5 years now...but actually... I haven't never touched a base guitar let alone played it. So the other were of the opinion that every bloody guitarist should be able to play at least the basic background base lines and do some runs...
So what about your base skills? Do you think these guys are right and should I learn a bit playing base..?
Thanks for comments...

It's true in my opinion, that any guitarist can play simple bass lines... it isn't much diffrent than the guitar, except for the small fact that bass string are much much more thick and so fretting the strings might take some adjusment..

Overall though, I think it's allways usefull to learn to play other instruments, it can only benefit you smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Robin
Apr 27 2008, 02:39 PM
if you're just playing some standard metal or rock songs its basically exactly the same as playing guitar, but if you really wanna play bass then you gotta play completely different thn a guitar and practice alot.

This post has been edited by Robin: Apr 27 2008, 02:41 PM

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 27 2008, 02:50 PM
Any guitarist can play bass lines that are simple. Advanced bass techniques no but simple lines I believe any guitarist should have no problem with.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 27 2008, 03:37 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I think it's a rather complex issue. A guitarist can handle the bass as being a string instrument. But never the less it's closer to drums than to guitar. If bass and drums doesn't work together it will sound crappy beyond repair.

Bass is good to know - I don't - since it gives an idea on how to tie together the drums and guitars and make it sound good.

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 27 2008, 03:49 PM
Learning Roadie
Like they said, basic basslines are easy to do if you can play guitar. What is hard (impossible without practice) is consistency with such bass techniques as slapping and popping, or fingerpicking assuming you don't fingerpick with your guitar. It's possible that if you've done fingerpicking and slapping etc on guitar that you can pick up even advanced bass techniques pretty quickly, but theres still a whole mindset to bass that is different than guitar. But if you can get in that mindset, a good guitarist should be able to fill in for basic bass stuff smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 27 2008, 04:20 PM
Moderation Policy Director
As Micke touched on - the technique is similar, but to do it well you need to think differently. If you don't you will sound like a guitar player playing bass (as I do!)

Bass is as much about rhythm and driving a song as it is pitch and the notes you play. Oh, and you really need to use your fingers for playing although you can also use a pick if you want to.

Having said the above though, its fun to try and a useful skill to learn if you put some effort into it!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 27 2008, 04:30 PM
I really hate the sound of bassists that use their fingers. I think it sounds messy. I know a lot of people who prefer bassists that use picks and we only allow bassists in our band to play with picks.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
Robin
Apr 27 2008, 04:39 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Apr 27 2008, 03:30 PM) *
I really hate the sound of bassists that use their fingers. I think it sounds messy. I know a lot of people who prefer bassists that use picks and we only allow bassists in our band to play with picks.

Yeah, playing bass with fingers sure does sound like crap.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 27 2008, 04:41 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Apr 27 2008, 04:39 PM) *

Cheers. I would have posted a vid of why not to use fingers but I didn't have the time to find one. Thanks for posting.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 27 2008, 04:50 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Robin @ Apr 27 2008, 11:39 AM) *

Man that is some MUSIC! thanks for the introduction..

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Iluha
Apr 27 2008, 05:06 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Apr 27 2008, 05:30 PM) *

Sure man... it's messy if the bassist isn't trained enough, check out guys like Les Claypool, Stu Hamm, Victor Wooten, Billy Sheehan, I'm sure it'll change you'r mind about finger picking tongue.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 27 2008, 05:09 PM
QUOTE (Iluha @ Apr 27 2008, 05:06 PM) *
Sure man... it's messy if the bassist isn't trained enough, check out guys like Les Claypool, Stu Hamm, Victor Wooten, Billy Sheehan, I'm sure it'll change you'r mind about finger picking tongue.gif

I know all of them bassists and it does sound messy apart from Victor Wooten in my opinion but with a band like Primus it doesn't really matter and it fits. For our band the bass needs to sound very smooth.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 27 2008, 05:13 PM
Learning Roadie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRuOQtg-pJ0

Not to argue with you organized, just because it's kinda cool tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
Apr 27 2008, 05:15 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
well yeah bass is really close to guitar, you can learn quickly, but if you like playing guitar, i don't know why you'll have to change your habits for your band .. if you are a guitarist, be a guitarist, in your band or in another one ... you see what i mean
that's my advice to you wink.gif

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 27 2008, 05:24 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ Apr 27 2008, 05:13 PM) *
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRuOQtg-pJ0

Not to argue with you organized, just because it's kinda cool tongue.gif

I've seen that many times but it is very messy sounding and far from smooth playing. But it's just my thoughts on things. Doesn't mean it's everyones. I'm on my own for most things but that's how I like things biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
at lights end
Apr 27 2008, 05:24 PM
it's not hugely different.
i don't have a bass and have only messed around on them in the past.
last night i was asked to play bass with two of my friends. we were to play in like half an hour. i worked out the riffs and played it for the first time on stage and it went fine. it was feeling good (muse).

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 27 2008, 05:26 PM
QUOTE (at lights end @ Apr 27 2008, 05:24 PM) *
it's not hugely different.
i don't have a bass and have only messed around on them in the past.
last night i was asked to play bass with two of my friends. we were to play in like half an hour. i worked out the riffs and played it for the first time on stage and it went fine. it was feeling good (muse).

Cool. I've played that on bass live once smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 27 2008, 05:30 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Apr 27 2008, 12:24 PM) *
I've seen that many times but it is very messy sounding and far from smooth playing. But it's just my thoughts on things. Doesn't mean it's everyones. I'm on my own for most things but that's how I like things biggrin.gif

I know, it's not that smooth. But still pretty sick I think tongue.gif

And pertaining more to the topic at hand, relating to how a bass can be played as a guitar, just as an example.

This post has been edited by JVM: Apr 27 2008, 05:31 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 27 2008, 05:30 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Of course you should not be ashamed!! Bass is a totally different instrument , and yes you can take it if you know how to play guitar and play around because of the same playing mechanics (notes are on the same places etc) and same thing goes vice versa on guitar..But than again I don't think guitarist will sound good on bass because of the different approach to playing and I know lot of bands who wanted to fill in that spot with a guitar player and it just isn't the groove they needed..So yes its cool to learn different instruments (and I recommend it! ) , but I think your band needs to find a real bass player if they want to be "groovy" smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:15 AM